You can't do that! But you did it anyway! What was it?

Have you accomplished something in reefing that someone else said wouldn't work?

• Yes and it was... (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 78.0%
  • I tried but they were right....(tell us in the thread)

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I didn't try it...(what was it?)

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOLKS SAID (( Never Use GFO.....BAD BAD ))) It was the Best thing I ever did (if used properly)

I used GFO for Years, on and off in my Early Tank Years. Did nothing special for me. Bought some, ran out, stopped, bought more. (VERY SPORATIC)....My LPS,mixed tank with NO SPS didn't really care.

When I got into SPS, it was told that GFO was a bad thing. Could caused P swings, and that part was True (becuase I didn't use it right).

Then a few months ago.....
A store owner with Spectacular SPS told me how he uses GFO.

Consistantly. Small Amounts, replaced every two weeks to keep P under Control (AND STABLE).

I got into that routine. Took a while to get P down, and then when it reached my target I got it stable (Less GFO, but just as consistant)
That helped with SPS happiness, and less Annoying Algae.

I'm now Hooked on GFO and worry when I'm going to run out. ( I do have an ATS but that;s for fine tuning N&P together)

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen and heard it 1,000 times...PL Medic doesn’t work. I Used Polyp Lab Medic successfully in a mixed reef tank to rid my fish of ich. Dosed maximum dosage possible for the maximum time, at the specific recommended times. No harm came to my coral at all (they didn’t even close up) and I didn’t lose any fish. Fish are all healthy with no signs of ich for 3-4 months now. Will it come back? Maybe, but the situation was handled. I’m of the mind that the fish are already stressed as hell...IMO, pulling them out to put in a QT will only further their stress and likely cause death.

Last edited:

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What have you accomplished in reefing that someone else said you can't do or it won't work?
Having an Ich-Free Tank.

2. What is something that someone said you shouldn't do but you tried anyway and it didn't work?

Trying to keep a catalina goby in normal reef temp.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This
angels 4-27-20.jpg

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using untreated tap water to top off my tank. Kept Anemones, softies and LPS which all grew well.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, again more interweb we were told don't buy a magnifica anemone as it would only live a few weeks, die and pollute your tank.
I kept mine for many years untill personal circumstances meant I had to strip the tank down and sold my tank and inhabitants.
That nem appeared o the first issues of the book ten easy steps by Albert Thiel RIP. I still have the book though.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a basement sump. yeah, i know a lot of people have done it but i was told it would not work with an internal return pump, it would be hard to dial in, i would not like having the tanks on different floors, drain would be noisy, etc. But, so far so good.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept an electric flame scallop in my tank for over 10 months now. Most of what I've read says they only live 3-6 months in captivity. I'm hoping he'll thrive for a long time. I think the key is not moving him and feeding phyto. They don't like a lot of light, so once he found a spot where he was happy I've left him alone, even though it's not an ideal viewing location.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. What have you accomplished in reefing that someone else said you can't do or it won't work?
3 Tanks-Each with different coral requirements plumed to one sump.

-Skimmerless
-1 Annual water change
-Xenia Refugium

2. What is something that someone said you shouldn't do but you tried anyway and it didn't work?
Keeping mated Maroon Clowns with mated Percula Clown. Poor little guys!;Blackeye No worries. I was able to save them, and they are still with me years later.

IMG_20200628_124219332.jpg

IMG_20200628_124652276.jpg

IMG_20200628_144104251.jpg
IMG_20200704_195513677.jpg

My gosh man! Do you have a tank thread here?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked:

I kept 6 dragonets in a 20g tank with a 20g fuge. My oldest was 5 years before I moved.

I used freshwater sand and rock in an anenome reef tank that I collected at a beach. I was told it would be full of copper and iron/minerals and kill my tank....well that was 6 years ago and the tank is going strong.

Never works: even with tight fitting lids, I can not keep super jumpy fish alive like firefish or pintail wrasse. They just find a way to suicide and freak out whenever the dog runs by or any sort of fast movement. Dart into large anenomes or spinal injury or get stuck in the small netting of the lid. I gave up keeping them.

Last edited:

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not much other than keeping a pair of copperband butterflies for over 1.5 years . Lost them when moved to the new house due to my stupidity

Not sure if it’s considered rare but they were a bonded pair and I had so many plans to try and breed them . But alas !!!!

Did you get them both as juvies ?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get them both as juvies ?

I tried multiples ..
the one truck that works is to have one significantly larger than the other and have separation for a few days and then allow them to mingle again and separation again and so on ...
In all this time , same food being fed to them at the same time .
After months when the larger one finally accepted one and didn’t attempt to kill it for a month , they were allowed to stay for another month together and fed together .
Finally moved them to my reef together !! Then they lived like 1.5 years happily together ...

So from the time I got them to moving out fo quarantine system to main tank as a pair - it took over 4-5 months I think

Having extremely high flow helps as it breaks the pattern of the aggressive one chasing the weaker one . By high flow I mean really high. Not by numbers of 100x and 200x !!

I had 2 panta rhei ecm 42s , 2 octo pulse 4 and 2 mp40 and a red dragon RD3 100 watt all at 100% in a 4ft x 3 ft x 22 inch tank. You will know its high when the flow can pin a 6 inch Copperband to the glass if it comes in its path of direct flow :D

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried multiples ..
the one truck that works is to have one significantly larger than the other and have separation for a few days and then allow them to mingle again and separation again and so on ...
In all this time , same food being fed to them at the same time .
After months when the larger one finally accepted one and didn’t attempt to kill it for a month , they were allowed to stay for another month together and fed together .
Finally moved them to my reef together !! Then they lived like 1.5 years happily together ...

So from the time I got them to moving out fo quarantine system to main tank as a pair - it took over 4-5 months I think

Having extremely high flow helps as it breaks the pattern of the aggressive one chasing the weaker one . By high flow I mean really high. Not by numbers of 100x and 200x !!

I had 2 panta rhei ecm 42s , 2 octo pulse 4 and 2 mp40 and a red dragon RD3 100 watt all at 100% in a 4ft x 3 ft x 22 inch tank. You will know its high when the flow can pin a 6 inch Copperband to the glass if it comes in its path of direct flow :D
I had a multi bar for about 6 months then introduced much larger one, it couldn't have gone any better.
I have neither now. I had to sell up.when Imoved house. Here is a short video of them along with my Regal angel who took an interest but never really bothered them.

DukeXXV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I argued with many individuals on keeping a coral beauty in my Reef tank. As long as I keep him well fed, not a nibble on corals!

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gosh man! Do you have a tank thread here?

Yes sir,

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back