You can't do that with Live Sand...can you? Top 21 Sand Mistakes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
Good session. Well done as always.

Feedback on reusing sand. I understand you said yes provided (and recommended) that it is cleaned first. However one trick that many hobbyists do with new tanks or upgrades is to lay down the foundation of new sand but add 1 or 2 cups of existing sand to use as the seed. Your dead or new sand suddenly becomes alive as it will spread. I've done this a few times now with great success (although it isn't just about me :) ).

Anyway just wanted to throw that out. Hope all is well with everything there.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video as always @randyBRS, but if you are using sand are you recommending 1 or 2 in depth?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good session. Well done as always.
Feedback on reusing sand. I understand you said yes provided (and recommended) that it is cleaned first. However one trick that many hobbyists do with new tanks or upgrades is to lay down the foundation of new sand but add 1 or 2 cups of existing sand to use as the seed. Your dead or new sand suddenly becomes alive as it will spread. I've done this a few times now with great success (although it isn't just about me :) ).
Anyway just wanted to throw that out. Hope all is well with everything there.

Good point. I think you could accomplish the same goal by just adding in some Microbacter7 or Dr. Tim's, without running the risk of potentially "contaminating" your new tank with pests or nuisance algae, aiptasia, bryopsis, dinos, bristle worms...etc. I think back to when Ryan scraped off some coralline algae (which had no signs of aiptasia on it) out of the BRS160 and added it into the BRS/WWC 750XXL. Now we have an aiptasia infestation in the 750XXL which is enough to drive our tank guy, Josh, mad crazy!

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a tank that will have several blackcap or yellow headed jawfish in it. It is recommended to have a sandbed of 4-5 inches for these species. What sand mix would you recommend and can I still be successfully breaking the 1" sand rule? I am planning to include narcissus snails and maybe a couple of sand sleeping wrasses. Any other compatible sand sifters recommended?

jay06705

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always look forward to these videos, thanks for sharing your knowledge

Back