You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It looks by far the best thought the coral glasses but I can't attach that to my camera and it messes with the focus.
IMG_5791.jpeg
Yeah, I have to use manual focus if I use filters of any kind.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to euthanize a fish today. One of my favorites unfortunately but it's been looking old for a month or so. I wonder if it got a spinal injury somehow as its spine was bent. Though maybe I wasn't giving it the proper diet. Found it struggling on the sanded this morning. It really was a beautiful fish with a fun personality.
IMG_5800.jpeg

Here's how it used to look:
IMG_2400.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to euthanize a fish today. One of my favorites unfortunately but it's been looking old for a month or so. I wonder if it got a spinal injury somehow as its spine was bent. Though maybe I wasn't giving it the proper diet. Found it struggling on the sanded this morning. It really was a beautiful fish with a fun personality.
IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg
This part of the hobby always sucks. I certainly hope it was not related to you not providing the right diet. Frankly, it would surprise me that you would get a fish without having an excellent understanding of its requirements including diet. However, I am happy you followed a good protocol and didn't let the fish suffer.

Last edited:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg
Court Jester?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Court Jester?
Yeah
This part of the hobby always sucks. I certainly hope it was not related to you not providing the right diet. Frankly, it would surprise me that you would get a fish without having an excellent understanding of its requirements including diet. However, I am happy you followed a good protocol and didn't let the fish suffer.
I just don't know. It's a sand sifter and they're notoriously hard to feed and with several wrasse and 2 mandarins I don't know if I had the natural food it needed. Of course it being captive bred I was hoping it wouldn't need that. My suspicion is a spinal injury as it was acting limp suddenly. Never saw any signs of broken fins to suggest bullying. It just seemed to suddenly look old and then waste away.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg
Sorry for your loss :crying-face: I'm by no means a fish disease expert, but if he didn't waste away due to lack of food in the sand another consideration could be that he succumbed to a mycobacteria infection. It can cause fish to waste away and develop a bent spine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg
This is one of those things about old age in fish, my yasha looked similar the day he unfortunately passed.
My Hectori unfortunately just wasted away after a while and went missing so I wouldn’t say yours died due to malnourishment and instead purely old age.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :crying-face: I'm by no means a fish disease expert, but if he didn't waste away due to lack of food in the sand another consideration could be that he succumbed to a mycobacteria infection. It can cause fish to waste away and develop a bent spine.
Thanks that may well be it or something similar. Certainly fits the symptoms.
This is one of those things about old age in fish, my yasha looked similar the day he unfortunately passed.
My Hectori unfortunately just wasted away after a while and went missing so I wouldn’t say yours died due to malnourishment and instead purely old age.
I thought so too but apparently they live on average 5 years not the 1-2 I'd originally heard.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that may well be it or something similar. Certainly fits the symptoms.

I thought so too but apparently they live on average 5 years not the 1-2 I'd originally heard.
Honestly, my Hectori only lived a year. Generally they come in at an unknown age in captivity. I can see a captive bred one making it 3-4 years but 5 is unusual for most goby species.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah

I just don't know. It's a sand sifter and they're notoriously hard to feed and with several wrasse and 2 mandarins I don't know if I had the natural food it needed. Of course it being captive bred I was hoping it wouldn't need that. My suspicion is a spinal injury as it was acting limp suddenly. Never saw any signs of broken fins to suggest bullying. It just seemed to suddenly look old and then waste away.
Try a Hector's. Very similar but it sifts sand and picks at rocks. Eats both algae and pods - even eats some hair algae.
IMG_20211217_193841869.jpg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a Hector's. Very similar but it sifts sand and picks at rocks. Eats both algae and pods - even eats some hair algae.
We'll see. Mine certainly had enough food because it was a tiny 1/2" and grew very quickly to 2". Had it for almost a year and was possibly what helped me get through cyano. Hectors are just as nice but I think I may go in a different direction.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may hunt another hectori down for my SPS reef as I have the cyano issue currently and also need a bit more activity in the tank.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking about another fish.
Cirrhilabrus rubeus has been on the cards for a while.
Anampses caeruleopunctatus has been tempting though. Thoughts on how it will do in my tank?
Also a juvenile for this tank or get a large adult for the other tank?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may hunt another hectori down for my SPS reef as I have the cyano issue currently and also need a bit more activity in the tank.
I thought it wasn’t a high chance of them eating cyano? Like 60 no 40 yes?

Back