You ever bought a Brown coral to see what it turns out to be?l

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a Store near me that has some Browned out corals. There some kinda Pricillapora and Acropora. Some are White others are Skin toned With VERY slight Blue hue to the tips. I mean I barely notice it. Im thinking about asking if thell take a few bucks for there dying sticks.....

So anyone Buy corals that you wernt sure of to see what they could be ?

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres one of the best brown purchases iv gotten, LFS had it for cheap so I said why not, colored up into a beauty!
DSCN6910.jpg

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to do it all the time. These browned out corals come from LFS's that don't give a crap about their coral and are just selling it for business. They don't know how to maintain a healthy reef tank and that's why they look the way they do. Most of the corals I purchased that were browned out always turned out to be nice colorful piece. So if I were you I'd save those corals from certain death at your LFS and watch them turn into something nice.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You love brown corals? :confused:
I love colorful corals! :D

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Haha love the price of brown corals especially when they turn out like this!

UnknownJpeg28.jpg

UnknownJpeg27.jpg
[/QUOTE]

IMG_20130408_173318_zps0546dd72.jpg

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to try this out and see what gems I can find. plenty of brown corals at the LFS around here lol

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the worst you can come up with? A free frag for beginners, extra frags to take to the Frag Swap, bleach it and and grow montis to and sell the frags or find a true Gem which happens for me about 70-80% of the time.

Andrew.concepcion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, about how long does it take for the colors to start showing up if I were to purchase a brown coral? I'm thinking about buying some because you guys make it sound like one heck of a deal

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm paying little to no money for a potential gem, where at worst you lose a few bucks....
Sounds like terrible plan:pound:
Just messin:wink:

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, about how long does it take for the colors to start showing up if I were to purchase a brown coral? I'm thinking about buying some because you guys make it sound like one heck of a deal

I see your in the Bay Area, what LFS are you talking about?

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the two weeks to a month. You figure these corals have been in either low lighting or poor conditions and coming into a sps environment doesn't take long for then to start showing their colors. For me two months gives me a really good idea of what's to come.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd give it a month max, be sure to acclimate it slowly to your system though. I'm sure the water and lighting your LFS is using in this system are poor at best.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an awesome thread around here that's like 12 pages of amazing brown success stories. There's a couple lfs around here that has a "color me up" action, sadly they are usually $20 and in bad shape, there was an amazing lfs about an hour from me that had a section like this where their LE frags would brown out on them and they'd sell them dirt cheap, you just didn't know what one you were getting lol. Shame they closed their retail side

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back