You find a fish you really like nipping at your corals... what do you do?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's say you tried a reef safe "with caution" fish like a dwarf angel or something similar only to catch it nipping at your LPS and/or SPS. What would you do? Would you rehome the fish, move it to a new tank, adjust your coral keeping to accommodate keeping the fish in your tank, or some other solution? If this has already happened to you share your experiences.

NOTE: This isn't something I'm dealing with currently. Just thought it would be a fun conversation.

Tacoma22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say you tried a reef safe "with caution" fish like a dwarf angel or something similar only to catch it nipping at your LPS and/or SPS. What would you do? Would you rehome the fish, move it to a new tank, adjust your coral keeping to accommodate keeping the fish in your tank, or some other solution? If this has already happened to you share your experiences.

NOTE: This isn't something I'm dealing with currently. Just thought it would be a fun conversation.
First time a warning, second time a formal write up, third time promote him to customer? Lol

nosduj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rehomed, my emperor angel went a solid month without eating any soft corals, one day I came home to bare rock where my zoas were. I love corals, and didnt want a fowlr tank so he got traded for a pile of corals :)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take the fish and mount it’s head on a pike inside the tank as a warning to any other fish that are considering eating my corals.

Honestly though it depends upon how well I like the fish and how well I like the type of coral that it’s eating. I’ve only had it happen once with a fish that was eating my euphyllia and I removed the fish and put him in another tank.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dwarf angel and older foxface that have both taken some samples of my corals. With the angel it's all about placement of the coral - he doesn't like new additions, so I sometimes have to move the frags around to accommodate his behavior - but after a while he lets it go and then I can put it where I want. With the foxface it's all about food. I no longer but a large sheet of nori in once a day, but rather half sheet in morning/night. And an algae wafer once a day to snack on. No problems when they have something to snack on most the day

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dwarf angel and older foxface that have both taken some samples of my corals. With the angel it's all about placement of the coral - he doesn't like new additions, so I sometimes have to move the frags around to accommodate his behavior - but after a while he lets it go and then I can put it where I want. With the foxface it's all about food. I no longer but a large sheet of nori in once a day, but rather half sheet in morning/night. And an algae wafer once a day to snack on. No problems when they have something to snack on most the day
I set up a camera once to see who it is - I'm not sure who's watching who

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-151350.png
    Screenshot_20220906-151350.png
    754.2 KB · Views: 162

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the fish using the red spectrum on my lights and a net. Then rehome/donate it after explaining it eats coral, etc. I keep fish in my reef tanks to feed the coral, and have a separate fowlr tank for the fish I prefer as pets.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 years of model citizen my regal angelfish decided he liked zoas and hammers. Those corals were wiped out in 2 days. Now I am just going SPS. Hopefully he leaves them alone. Since I love this fish

vcollins9850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Left him be since I didn’t want to go chasing a bicolor angel and ripping tank apart, knew I would never catch him… so I just set up another tank to move the zoas to :)

genetao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply move the offending fish into my FOWLR. I have one because I can keep non-reef safe fish in it. With a turf algae scrubber and fast growing invasive zoas in the sump, it’s an uber low maintenance tank.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a toothpick and tartar sauce nearby.

All kidding aside, I just listed an Imp Angel the other day for re-homing. Luckily I have a taker and we're meeting up tomorrow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back