You find a fish you really like nipping at your corals... what do you do?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the opposite for me. I care more about the corals than the fish, so it would be gone. Most of my tanks have only had a few small fish, and sone were fishless.

I think most people feel that way but there is no coral created that would make me give up my Copperband.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stop keeping whatever coral it is eating. Plenty of other corals to choose from. They are pretty filler/habitat for fish.
This is my approach. Gave up on Acans and Trachyphillia, but have had zero issue with Mushrooms, Duncans, Blastos, Hammers, Frogspawns and Octospawns. I just returned the two aforementioned types to my LFS for store credit and haven't had any problems since.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people feel that way but there is no coral created that would make me give up my Copperband.

Corals are pretty, but just don't have the entertainment and personality that fish do. I can't watch my corals rip a piece of food out of another corals mouth and watch it lead all the corals on an entertaining chase around the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick to coral the fish won’t eat (Hoping it wouldn’t be SPS) and keep the fish.
I didn’t do this with my blenny because I like SPS more than E. lineatus.

Nheko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Pygmy Dwarf Cherub Angel that likes to nip here and there occasionally nothing major as he’s well fed. If I had to choose I will personally pick my fish and stop buying the corals he eats.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Pygmy Dwarf Cherub Angel that likes to nip here and there occasionally nothing major as he’s well fed. If I had to choose I will personally pick my fish and stop buying the corals he eats.
The angels keep the algae away from the rock and they bite coral. Tiny bites. At least what mine did it never killed anything.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Three different rabbitfish.

What do I do . . . . . . . . . . .

1664919134497.png

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it feast. My corals are overgrown. The way I look at the situation is it's doing me a favor. The only thing I watch are my meat corals. The rest are fair game.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times do you feed the fish?

Attachments

• E87BFC55-AB5E-482A-85A9-A2D13B161A1B.jpeg
    E87BFC55-AB5E-482A-85A9-A2D13B161A1B.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 23

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say you tried a reef safe "with caution" fish like a dwarf angel or something similar only to catch it nipping at your LPS and/or SPS. What would you do? Would you rehome the fish, move it to a new tank, adjust your coral keeping to accommodate keeping the fish in your tank, or some other solution? If this has already happened to you share your experiences.

NOTE: This isn't something I'm dealing with currently. Just thought it would be a fun conversation.
I’ve rehomed an angel and butterfly fish for nipping everything…. Despite the efforts of trying to cage the coral etc

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back