OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man...just had one of those tank cleaning days - almost literally a day...well, 4 hours. Flippin greenish brown hair algae. And in the middle of pumping my water back in the hose pops out (yup, it was clamped) and water everywhere. Dog scurrying for cover (I may have used my outside voice with some Navy language), wife grabbing for the towels instead of unplugging the pump, what a water change.

Then I knocked off 4 different corals and had to reattach so instead of putting gloves on, just grabbed the glue and putty for a quick job....naturally I now have a nice coating of super glue on my fingers.

Time I got done, was wet, frazzled and frustrated.

But after all that...man, does my tank look better. Can't wait until next weekend...well, maybe the weekend after.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When road tripping to LA, you always pack your suitcase, and a coral styro.

You stopped wearing sunblock because you were worried it might get in the tank.

You don't allow any chemical spraying in the house.

You check the weather report to see if it's warm enough to crack a window to balance your pH.

You start a coral order by telling your wife how much you are saving.

Black Friday no longer means TVs and Computers, it means stocking up on reefing gear.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a thread on R2R about the concerns I have of when my 64 pieces of SPS in my 150 gallon start touching because it is packed. Then I wake up the next morning and tell my wife I am thinking of placing one more small order for a couple more pieces.

She is checking me into rehab incase I am not active lately.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a thread on R2R about the concerns I have of when my 64 pieces of SPS in my 150 gallon start touching because it is packed. Then I wake up the next morning and tell my wife I am thinking of placing one more small order for a couple more pieces.

She is checking me into rehab incase I am not active lately.

Don't beat yourself up. It is a medical condition and can be treated. Later.

Staying on subject, I think I see some space for another stony in this pic. Don't you?

If I could figure out how to light the tank from 6 sides I think it would really open up the possibilities substantially. Somebody has to have done this.

IMG-4228.JPG

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't beat yourself up. It is a medical condition and can be treated. Later.

Staying on subject, I think I see some space for another stony in this pic. Don't you?

If I could figure out how to light the tank from 6 sides I think it would really open up the possibilities substantially. Somebody has to have done this.

IMG-4228.JPG

I don't think there is a cure! Definitely more room!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....your clueless PITA neighbor calls the cops out and tells them that you are storing "noxious toxic chemicals" in "giant blue vats" in the backyard. So the city inspector comes out, I show him the "giant blue vats" (AKA 55 gallon barrel) and told him that the "noxious toxic chemicals" I have stored in there was labeled as non toxic. I took the hose coming from the "giant blue vats", stuck it in my mouth and proceeded to drink the "noxious toxic chemicals" (AKA RODI Water). I wish I had gotten a picture of his face! Picture Marty Feldman eyes.o_O Then I show him my tank and explain what RODI water is used for. He just starts shaking his head, laughing hard and says, "So I see you have one of THOSE ;Wacky neighbors!"

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conversation this past weekend at my house...

Me: I'm getting so frustrated, tank just isn't doing well. Diatoms, GHA, Bubble algae, corals just aren't taking off.

Wife: Well, should you start over?

Me: No, I think I can save this tank...I haven't lost any fish so that's a positive. Plus, if I start over, I think I want that 100 gallon tank.

Wife: Wait, you say you're having a hard time being successful so you now want a bigger tank?

Me: Um.....yes.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Conversation this past weekend at my house...

Me: I'm getting so frustrated, tank just isn't doing well. Diatoms, GHA, Bubble algae, corals just aren't taking off.

Wife: Well, should you start over?

Me: No, I think I can save this tank...I haven't lost any fish so that's a positive. Plus, if I start over, I think I want that 100 gallon tank.

Wife: Wait, you say you're having a hard time being successful so you now want a bigger tank?

Me: Um.....yes.
LOL Everyone raise your hand who's had that conversation... *raises hand*

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man...just had one of those tank cleaning days - almost literally a day...well, 4 hours. Flippin greenish brown hair algae. And in the middle of pumping my water back in the hose pops out (yup, it was clamped) and water everywhere. Dog scurrying for cover (I may have used my outside voice with some Navy language), wife grabbing for the towels instead of unplugging the pump, what a water change.

Then I knocked off 4 different corals and had to reattach so instead of putting gloves on, just grabbed the glue and putty for a quick job....naturally I now have a nice coating of super glue on my fingers.

Time I got done, was wet, frazzled and frustrated.

But after all that...man, does my tank look better. Can't wait until next weekend...well, maybe the weekend after.
Our worst days at reefing are still better than most peoples best days at living. Our hobby is an unbelievable privilege. Love your attitude! Been there done that! I'm laughin with you.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're struggling with your first tank...been almost a year, diatoms, algae, cyano, loss of corals (thankfully no fish loss) and........you're already starting to plan setting another tank for just softies you couldn't get first time around.

Does being a reefer include being an eternal optimist? Or just dangerously over confident? :)

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what can I bring home when I am traveling in other countries ! last time, I was in Japan and I brought two big rocks LOL next week I'm going to Florida and I'm wondering what can I bring.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another talk around my house Monday on my battle with GHA and cyano...

Wife: I don't think that treatment is working
Me: It takes time honey, nothing good happens fast
Wife: Pretty ugly
Me: Yup
Wife: You should just clean it up and vacuum all that out.
Me: I do, honey
Wife: No I mean really good so it doesn't come back
Me: It doesn't work that way
Wife: [looks at me very suspiciously]

I proceed to get the cleaning stuff out and we vacuum the tank, she helps me, holding the hose pointing out what I miss and actually it's pretty nice having a helper and she does love the tank.

Wife: See, isn't that really nice looking?
Me: Yup.

Next afternoon:

Wife: I thought we cleaned that out, it looks just like it before we started.
Wife: I don't think that treatment is working...

Sisyphus got off easy...Zeus should have given him a reef tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another talk around my house Monday on my battle with GHA and cyano...

Wife: I don't think that treatment is working
Me: It takes time honey, nothing good happens fast
Wife: Pretty ugly
Me: Yup
Wife: You should just clean it up and vacuum all that out.
Me: I do, honey
Wife: No I mean really good so it doesn't come back
Me: It doesn't work that way
Wife: [looks at me very suspiciously]

I proceed to get the cleaning stuff out and we vacuum the tank, she helps me, holding the hose pointing out what I miss and actually it's pretty nice having a helper and she does love the tank.

Wife: See, isn't that really nice looking?

Next afternoon:

Wife: I thought we cleaned that out, it looks just like it before we started.
Wife: I don't think that treatment is working...

Sisyphus got off easy...Zeus should have given him a reef tank.
;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

...but btw, you should really do something about that algae... :D

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to set up a reboot with your significant other and get another tank to boot.

Me: You know how you really wanted clown fish but I don't them in display because they can be aggressive and destroy my euphyllias?
Wife: Yes (it's pretty cool my wife knows what euphyllias are, isn't it?)
Me: Know how ugly you think the tank is with the current algae issue and you want me to start over?
Wife: Yes
Me: So if I get another tank to start over with I can move the hammer, frogspawn and other corals and fish over to it.
Wife: Uh huh
Me: And then I can restart this tank for anemones and a clown pair along with some of the other fish you wanted but were too aggressive.
Wife: Really?!?
Me: Sure hon, anything for you.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one from this morning after a visit to our local fish store talking about my dream tank.

Fiancé: I say go big or go home!
Me: okay so how big we thinking?
Fiancé: 8’x3’x3’
Me: that’s too tall I’m thinking 30” tall tops but really like 2’ (I know if it’s that tall I won’t want to do anything on the sand bed haha)
Fiancé: well the more I like the tank the bigger the budget
Me: (dang this is going to be fun!) Well we have a few years but we’ll revisit this when the time comes to get the tank made.

She really is amazing! Doesn’t really help with maintenance but is definitely a keeper!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back