You may feel your opinion doesn't matter...but it does to me!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add a fish or two to my crew and don't know what to add. I am open to all ideas, so please share your thoughts.
I have a 180-gallon tank that has been set up for a little over a year; the current stock is;

Pair of Clown Fish
Pair of Mandarin
Pair of Lyretail Anthias
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Coral Beauty
Starry Blenny
Melanurus Wrasse

Clams
BTAs
RFAs
H. Mag
Haddon
Corals: LPS/Softies

I would love a Trigger, Butterfly, or Foxface but worry about them with other inhabitants.
47D71545-BB8F-492F-8D99-C0FE4D803CFD.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. The carpet nem scares me. I put one in my 180 and lost almost $1k in fish.

Some more anthias would look nice. I've read you can have as many as 5 females to one male. That would make a nice group of colorful active fish. I've wanted a group but there haven't been any local and I'm hesitant to have them shipped.
Or maybe a naso? Probably one of my favorite fish in my tank. Model citizen with a lot of personality. Like puppy dog in water. I've had mine for 6 years. She's fat and healthy but I don't think they get as big in captivity and some people say.

20220818_200112.jpg

Last edited:

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add a fish or two to my crew and don't know what to add. I am open to all ideas, so please share your thoughts.
I have a 180-gallon tank that has been set up for a little over a year; the current stock is;

Pair of Clown Fish
Pair of Mandarin
Pair of Lyretail Anthias
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Coral Beauty
Starry Blenny
Melanurus Wrasse

Clams
BTAs
RFAs
H. Mag
Haddon

I would love a Trigger, Butterfly, or Foxface but worry about them with other inhabitants.
Pyramid Butterfly is a beautiful reef safe butterfly that can be kept in pairs. Radiant wrasse would also make a nice addition. Beautiful tank BTW.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. The carpet nem scares me. I put one in my 180 and lost almost $1k in fish.

Some more anthias would look nice. I've read you can have as many as 5 females to one male. That would make a nice group of colorful active fish. I've wanted a group but there haven't been any local and I'm hesitant to have them shipped.
Or maybe a naso? Probably one of my favorite fish in my tank. Model citizen with a lot of personality. Like puppy dog in water. I've had mine for 6 years. She's fat and healthy but I don't think they get as big in captivity and some people say.

20220818_200112.jpg
Thanks for your thoughts. I actually started with a large group of Anthias, all females and one male, but they slowly picked on each other until I was left with two. I would love a group of something, but just not sure my tank is big enough for something. I have also thought about another Tang, but with three already, adding another one makes me nervous. I hear you on the Haddon; so far, so good. I feed them squid, shrimp, scallops, and such, and they seem good. They host my two clowns, and they seem to keep the other fish away from them, but obviously, it is a risk.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid Butterfly is a beautiful reef safe butterfly that can be kept in pairs. Radiant wrasse would also make a nice addition. Beautiful tank BTW.
I don’t know why I’ve never heard of the pyramid butterfly, but it looks awesome. It is differently on my list now, although seems like they might be hard to find.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface
Harlequin tusk
Bellus Angel
The foxface and tusk I worry about each corals or inverts.

I didn’t realize how big a bellus angel is. I’d love another bigger fish in the mix. Do you think it would get along okay with my coral beauty?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pair of Clown Fish
Pair of Mandarin
Pair of Lyretail Anthias
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Coral Beauty
Starry Blenny
Melanurus Wrasse

Clams
BTAs
RFAs
H. Mag
Haddon

I wouldn’t do a Trigger or Butterfly depending on the species of clams. If you have all large species then you may be alright with a butterfly however if you have species such as Crocea then you may want to ditch the Triggers.
Personally I would leave it at that with maybe one or two more wrasses. Remember:
Not everything stays small, let things grow out and see if you have room once they age and put in size.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foxface and tusk I worry about each corals or inverts.

I didn’t realize how big a bellus angel is. I’d love another bigger fish in the mix. Do you think it would get along okay with my coral beauty?
I never had an issue with the tusk I had in my 180…. Fun fish to watch eat a silverside. Of course that doesn’t mean you would t have an issue.

i haven’t seen a fox face touch inverts, I think they are pretty safe.

not sure if the bellus would play nice with the coral beauty. Maybe someone will respond with some info for you.

Picking fish is fun though.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why I’ve never heard of the pyramid butterfly, but it looks awesome. It is differently on my list now, although seems like they might be hard to find.
I have watched a pyramid eat and kill an entire acantho overnight.

They are Sometimes reef safe. With that being said, one will never make its way into my reef.

Given the list you have above, I think a fox face would be a great addition.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More wrasses!

A trio of leopards would get along great with what you already have. They are very active, reef safe, somewhat pest hunters(there are other better wrasses for pest hunting, but they will eat flatworms and such), invert safe, and stay closer to the rock structure, so they wouldn't be competing with the bigger fish for open swimming space.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a couple more wrasses would be good. I remember at one point seeing a post about pairing wrasses from different families. It was this cool graph/chart thing. I’ll see if I can find that again.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trigger would be cool no doubt, but the most trust worthy triggers are pink tail or a blue throat. But they can and will eat some of your cuc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back