You Quarantine Routine

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

so - almost my tank was wiped out from disease I feel it was most likely my fault in not quarantining good enough. the tank was pretty old - probably dumb luck getting that far.

so what are people's procedures? Do people have a 'constant and established' quarantine tank? I've heard some people just start the quarantine tank before they put in their new arrivals and use various products to cycle it quickly. I usually left my QT tank running and would replace and clean everything after treatment. then establish the filter again before any more new arrivals.

I'm just curious in figuring out the easiest and best methods that i could employ. for next time.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have different techniques for quarantining based upon the type of fish, etc... But there are some good threads on here to follow for exact procedures.

Current Quarantine Protocol | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

There's another post by @HotRocks with quaranting information, but I can't find it right now...hopefully it hasn't been removed!

I typically only quarantine small fish and 1-2 at a time, so I use a 10g tank...but have a 20g long and 29g tank available if needed. I also typcially setup my QT a day or so ahead of getting expected fish...then use bottled bacteria (BioSpira) to quickly cycle the tank the first week with the fish in it. I typically add a little BioSpira every day to combat any ammonia levels. I keep an ammonia alert badge in the tank to monitor for increases. Only once did I start to see a little ammonia with this system and performed a 50% water change and then the tank cycled nicely. But, that problem was do to an older bottle of bottled bacteria I was using...I don't think it was working as well as normally.

Right now, I have my 10g QT tank still running and cycled...but that's because I've been too lazy to break it down. But, maybe I will get another fish, lol.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. How old was your tank? Good links above. I keep a QT tank up permanently with live rock. I use it for coral and inverts too. But no medication goes in it. Just observation to get the fish used to my routine. I’ve never needed to medicate (yet) but if I did, the fish would go to a 10g hospital tank. The QT then runs fallow for at least 45 days and temp of 82 degrees.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back