You Thought Collecting Coral Was a Dream Job?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By: Vincent Chalias In the last week, we spent some time with coral collector Nic Dos Santos from Ultra Coral Australia. Nic is a dedicated, passionate collector, and like everyone else, we thought he had the dream job, but we had no idea how much work goes into collecting these coral jewels for our tanks. […]

Continue reading...

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article Jake, I also make my living off the ocean and like the article implies, You better LOVE what you do because everyday is a different challenge. From the moment you leave the dock till the moment that you get back , dealing with Mother Nature is no easy task. She is relentless to your body, your mind, and your vessel, she takes a huge toll!!!!!! People often tell me as well that I have the best job, but the statement is so far from the truth if you don’t passionately love it. I have been commercial fishing Yellowtail Snapper for over 26 years in Key West so I really appreciate this article, thanks again and keep doing what you do, maybe you come down here one day and I’ll show you around.

NASOTANG87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think that once a coral becomes so rare due to over harvesting to the point it’s commercially unviable, that they would become protected.

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think that once a coral becomes so rare due to over harvesting to the point it’s commercially unviable, that they would become protected.
Its not that the actual coral is rare, just the coloration we as humans find optimal is harder to find. Scolymia are nowhere near endangered, master scolymia are endangered.

NASOTANG87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not that the actual coral is rare, just the coloration we as humans find optimal is harder to find. Scolymia are nowhere near endangered, master scolymia are endangered.
Isn’t that precisely the point?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back