You want a group of Green Chromis

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my first post what are the fishes you have in your tank Latin name(s) and how have you identified them as that particular species
When I bought them from my LFS they were simply labeled as “Chromis”. Looking at your pictures I would lean towards C. Viridis due to similar coloring and body. I am still very new to this hobby and learning as I go.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 in my tank, been in for over a year now no losses.

Imo I believe the 3 biggest things in dealing with aggression of these fish is in no particular order
1 - each fish has its own, hopefully even multiple spots they can hide/ sleep in.
2 - feed multiple times a day, hungry fish are going to fight for food, if there is plenty to go around then less fighting.
3 - enough members of the group so a single fish doesn’t get singled out all the time. Imo that’s a minimum of 6 fish.

I’m not sure which species I have but here is a picture maybe someone can Id them for sure.

7E1AAC3A-CCA9-4AF7-B474-976C2982847F.png

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought them from my LFS they were simply labeled as “Chromis”. Looking at your pictures I would lean towards C. Viridis due to similar coloring and body. I am still very new to this hobby and learning as I go.
And that's what makes it difficult for new comers- Those fish in my post above are all sold as Chromis but they all have different habits and tolerances. You may have been lucky and got fish which will tolerate others and group together, but just as easily you could have been sold a species which will fight to the death in your tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the info!

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's what makes it difficult for new comers- Those fish in my post above are all sold as Chromis but they all have different habits and tolerances. You may have been lucky and got fish which will tolerate others and group together, but just as easily you could have been sold a species which will fight to the death in your tank.
Very true!! It is a learning process and with help/guidance from people like yourself, new comers have a place where they can come to and gets answers, information and support. This is a hobby that I have always wanted to enjoy and loving it so far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have plans to get a group of 6 HOWEVER, I refuse to pay $18.99 EACH for a dog gone chromis at my LFS

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seriously considered having a group of Chromis as my schooling fish, but after hearing mixed reviews as well as their susceptibility to uronema I’ve decided against them. I’ve also considered Anthias but they’re short lived and require multiple feedings a day. In the end I’ve decided to just go with 5 PJ Cardinals. Not aggressive, slow, lower bioload and easy to keep.
They also pair up and low b the one left out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3, but ended-up with a mated pair (after some fierce competition). They lay eggs about every 2 weeks like clockwork. For several days one of them, not sure if the male or female, guards the eggs like a beast.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 5 when I first started up my tank. Great fillers and “test dummies” but now impossible to catch and get out of the tank. They can be pests some times but my male lyrtail keeps them in check for the most part.

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 in my tank, been in for over a year now no losses.

Imo I believe the 3 biggest things in dealing with aggression of these fish is in no particular order
1 - each fish has its own, hopefully even multiple spots they can hide/ sleep in.
2 - feed multiple times a day, hungry fish are going to fight for food, if there is plenty to go around then less fighting.
3 - enough members of the group so a single fish doesn’t get singled out all the time. Imo that’s a minimum of 6 fish.

I’m not sure which species I have but here is a picture maybe someone can Id them for sure.

7E1AAC3A-CCA9-4AF7-B474-976C2982847F.png

120 gal display.
I have 6 blue/green chromis as the lfs called them. One is a runt lol.
They were semi aggressive towards each other doing the mouth thing and chasing each other for 6 months but nothing bad.
Now with my convict tang, who is the tank boss, they are pretty calm but getting big.
20200410_155140.jpg
20200410_155451.jpg

I had 3, but ended-up with a mated pair (after some fierce competition). They lay eggs about every 2 weeks like clockwork. For several days one of them, not sure if the male or female, guards the eggs like a beast.

Looking at the pictures and comparing them with the ones in my first post I would suggest they are Altrichthys alelia the tail fin seems to be the right shape and have small extensions to the top and bottom rays. Rich Klein as your fish seem to spawn like F/W chilids something that the Altrichthys family do that i understand Chromis don't would suggest they are also Altrichthys.

As the posters have had success keeping them as a group suggests that Altrichthys may be more tolerent of others.

Henk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pictures and comparing them with the ones in my first post I would suggest they are Altrichthys alelia the tail fin seems to be the right shape and have small extensions to the top and bottom rays. Rich Klein as your fish seem to spawn like F/W chilids something that the Altrichthys family do that i understand Chromis don't would suggest they are also Altrichthys.

As the posters have had success keeping them as a group suggests that Altrichthys may be more tolerent of others.
I have a group of 6 “Chromis” about 8 months in a 160 gallon tank. They were already living together a few months in a fellow reefer’s tank. Several of the fish have spawned and defend the eggs after spawning. Some have black color in the dorsal fin. Never realized they might not be Chromis viridis. I believe the group is mixed with one chromis atripectoralis.

Henk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get good pictures they are always moving about....
EC8FA36D-0700-40ED-BDF4-A7A9DE4C808F.png
6AE27321-6C8E-411F-8582-09F88E0E9B0D.png

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So perhaps the main reason why so many have complained that their Chromis die off one by one (in appropriately sized tanks) is because they were not all C. Viridis to begin with?
Since we can't say for certainty what species are in your tank C. viridis may not tolerate each other. At the moment from posts on here all it would appear atripectoralis seem to be favorite for stable groups. But we haven't really got any good data.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back