You want a group of Green Chromis

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you documented and/or observed any distinguishing characteristics at all? Personally I gave up long ago on the murderous lil buggers .... I may try the dark Blue Caribbean type instead
Tried those too, murderous lil bigger buggers ... :):)

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lepidozygus tapeinosoma so much better IMO

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Black Axil Chromis (a more colorful Blue-Green Reef Chromis) - any better...?

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Black Axil Chromis (a more colorful Blue-Green Reef Chromis) - any better...?
They develop the black spot on the base of the pectoral fin when they are mature, so if someone has an established group with black spots then it would be logical that they can be kept together but if no-one can confirm it then the jury is out.
Personally I never had any success with them, but that could be because I had a mixed group of them and another species (I thought C. viridis but with hindsight it could have be one of the other species)

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had problems with aggressive behavior from green cromis . I’d get 4 then there’s 3 , 2 , and 1 . This happened every time. But lately I bought from live aqua. I got 4 talbot demsels,2 kupang demsels, 1 springer demsel, and a lemon cromis . That night my aquarium was a battle royal . In a couple days everything calmed down. Fast forward 2-3 months and I’m not loseing any more green cromis .
My opinion is 2-6 green cromis will kill each other off . The same greencromis in a aquarium with say 15 other fish ( demsels ) and they cool off with aggression.
BTW I like demsels and cromis yes they are nasty, but they are 100% reef safe , colorful , cheep , and school , and are active , eat anything, and are hardy and healthy.

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had problems with aggressive behavior from green cromis . I’d get 4 then there’s 3 , 2 , and 1 . This happened every time. But lately I bought from live aqua. I got 4 talbot demsels,2 kupang demsels, 1 springer demsel, and a lemon cromis . That night my aquarium was a battle royal . In a couple days everything calmed down. Fast forward 2-3 months and I’m not loseing any more green cromis .
My opinion is 2-6 green cromis will kill each other off . The same greencromis in a aquarium with say 15 other fish ( demsels ) and they cool off with aggression.
BTW I like demsels and cromis yes they are nasty, but they are 100% reef safe , colorful , cheep , and school , and are active , eat anything, and are hardy and healthy.

So which species do you think you had when they were killing each other and what species do you have now they are not. Logically since you put them in the same tank with the same decoration the only thing that has changed is the fish.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is the C. viridis maybe the C. caerulea . They were purchased at the local Petro . I would watch them bit the fins and scales off of the weakest one until there was one or two left . I have purchased a lemon cromis . Instead of silver/ yellow it’s the exact color of the green cromis , but the body shape is different. I recommend them with the green cromis. With many fish the activity cools them off . IMO.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I know the setting of many fishes cool them off because I had 5 . Was down to 3 green cromis. So they were nasty . I added a lot of fish ( not green cromis) but they ain’t killing each other . They still chase a bit . But no tail less And scales missing fish .

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200322_170755.jpg

Not sure the exact ID but all sold as blue/green chromis. They have been together for a couple of years. The 2 talbots have been in about 6 months, the 3 yellow tails about 7 months. They get along pretty well with a Tomini tang and a single clown. Lots of sleeping holes and lots of food.

gfd71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 5 in my tank and it was a fight to the death. I never actually witnessed it but eventually I had one left. It’s an established tank with four other fish all healthy. I really wanted that schooling behavior

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200322_170755.jpg

Not sure the exact ID but all sold as blue/green chromis. They have been together for a couple of years. The 2 talbots have been in about 6 months, the 3 yellow tails about 7 months. They get along pretty well with a Tomini tang and a single clown. Lots of sleeping holes and lots of food.
The one up at the front is definitely a black axel chromis. I can’t see enough detail on the others to tell if they are the same.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back