Young Black Storm Clownfish breathing heavy at surface, nipped fins. Brooklynella?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had this clownfish for about 2 months and he’s been eating well, swimming normally, even paired with my older Black Storm who had been single for a while. My husband just called me in a panic to let me know that this guy was swimming erratically and bobbing at the surface, gasping for air. I’ve transferred him into a smaller tank for now but he’s having a very hard time at the moment. Any thoughts? Can I do anything for him?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had this clownfish for about 2 months and he’s been eating well, swimming normally, even paired with my older Black Storm who had been single for a while. My husband just called me in a panic to let me know that this guy was swimming erratically and bobbing at the surface, gasping for air. I’ve transferred him into a smaller tank for now but he’s having a very hard time at the moment. Any thoughts? Can I do anything for him?
This poor guy has been beat up severely and will have to be isolated for best chance of recovery and provided added oxygen with use of air stone. My suspect would be another clown.
What other fish do you have in the tank with him?
The heavy breathing is from stress imposed but assure ammonia and temperature have not become elevated

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was this clown being abused by the other clown? #fishmedic
I have a less than ideal situation in this tank where there is more than one pair of clowns. I should have mentioned this in my initial post but I was panicking a little writing it. They had all been completely fine but I do think that this is aggression.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This poor guy has been beat up severely and will have to be isolated for best chance of recovery and provided added oxygen with use of air stone. My suspect would be another clown.
What other fish do you have in the tank with him?
The heavy breathing is from stress imposed but assure ammonia and temperature have not become elevated
Unfortunately, I have another pair of clowns in here that I’ve needed to hold temporarily while I’ve moved a tank. This was such a dumb decision but it had been fine for the last week or so. There is also a large blue tang who is a jerk but I don’t think he’d have anything to do with it. My husband did see the other female go after him a bit. Ugh… my fault, completely. I should have found someone to take the second pair for a while.
He’s in another tank right now where he’s the only fish other than a clown goby. Do you think it’s going to be okay for the night until I can get a QT ready for him?

edit: the tank the two clown pairs were in is a 150g display, so I thought it could be enough space for a week. I know better than that… shouldn’t have taken the chance.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately, I have another pair of clowns in here that I’ve needed to hold temporarily while I’ve moved a tank. This was such a dumb decision but it had been fine for the last week or so. There is also a large blue tang who is a jerk but I don’t think he’d have anything to do with it. My husband did see the other female go after him a bit. Ugh… my fault, completely. I should have found someone to take the second pair for a while.
He’s in another tank right now where he’s the only fish other than a clown goby. Do you think it’s going to be okay for the night until I can get a QT ready for him?
Should be as clown goby can be feisty but should not pose a threat. Again- isolation is best chance of recovery. Provide added aeration until breathing rate is reduced to norm

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Airstone has been added. Lights are going to be turned off for the night and I will check on him a little later. He’s not bobbing at the surface anymore but is still breathing pretty hard & now laying on the sand. He’s in a quiet cave which is a little more out of the direct flow too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should be as clown goby can be feisty but should not pose a threat. Again- isolation is best chance of recovery. Provide added aeration until breathing rate is reduced to norm
Update - he’s made it through the night. The airstone is still going but he’s looking pretty rough. Breathing isn’t as hard but it’s fairly shallow. He’s just sort of laying in the sand & had no interest in food.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update - he’s made it through the night. The airstone is still going but he’s looking pretty rough. Breathing isn’t as hard but it’s fairly shallow. He’s just sort of laying in the sand & had no interest in food.

the clown is moribund and may or may not make it. This is a trauma that goes either way. Unfortunately, its one that you wait out as there is really nothing you can offer to perk it up other than oxygen

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the clown is moribund and may or may not make it. This is a trauma that goes either way. Unfortunately, its one that you wait out as there is really nothing you can offer to perk it up other than oxygen
Thank you very much for the advice! I hope there’s a way he can make a recovery.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back