Young Clowns

Kazbfc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have 2 young clown fish which I’ve have for a couple of weeks, in that time they’ve been inseparable. This morning there was one at one end of the tank and another at the other end. Now I’ve noticed one chasing the other! They’re both similar in size and can barely tell the difference which one is the biggest.
I wondered if this could be the behaviour of the clowns going through the sexing process?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it could be the process beginning. Sometimes this does not end well for the lessor clown. The stress on the fish can be tough on its health.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi
I have 2 young clown fish which I’ve have for a couple of weeks, in that time they’ve been inseparable. This morning there was one at one end of the tank and another at the other end. Now I’ve noticed one chasing the other! They’re both similar in size and can barely tell the difference which one is the biggest.
I wondered if this could be the behaviour of the clowns going through the sexing process?
Welcome to clown hierarchy. The female often the larger of the two becomes predominantly aggressive chasing the male to the corner, hogs up the food (reason male is smaller), claims territory and shows aggression to the other often intimidating it.
Assure damage to the fish and its tail does not begin as separation may be warranted for a week or two to calm her down

OP
OP
Kazbfc

Kazbfc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to clown hierarchy. The female often the larger of the two becomes predominantly aggressive chasing the male to the corner, hogs up the food (reason male is smaller), claims territory and shows aggression to the other often intimidating it.
Assure damage to the fish and its tail does not begin as separation may be warranted for a week or two to calm her down
I’m a beginner at all this so any advice is greatly appreciated.
I have a quarantine tank at the ready.
How long could this behaviour go on for?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m a beginner at all this so any advice is greatly appreciated.
I have a quarantine tank at the ready.
How long could this behaviour go on for?
sometimes a couple of days and can be a couple of weeks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back