Your average Coral Growth and How Do You achieve it?

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always felt my coral grow at a below-average rate. Yeah I have seen little growth but nothing compared to others. So that leaves the question "Your average Coral Growth and How Do You achieve it?"

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper nutrients, light, flow, or stability/quality of your water. Check all the boxes and wait. Some corals just grow faster than others. Here are two pics of my TSA Bill Murray, taken 9ish months apart. Meanwhile, my Oregon Tort in a similar spot may have put on two polyps.

Attachments

• 1BF2A58D-9A9D-46EC-9D35-99A6E9410320.jpeg
    1BF2A58D-9A9D-46EC-9D35-99A6E9410320.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 6F897476-7455-4AED-89A4-3F310DB1531F.jpeg
    6F897476-7455-4AED-89A4-3F310DB1531F.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 39

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to remember is that people in these threads always post their very best growers, so (as with most of social media), you're comparing your average experience with everyone else's highlight reel.

I have SPS that grow an inch every 2-3 weeks, and others that put on a polyp every 3 months.

The requirements for growth are quite similar to the requirements for keeping corals alive, but you need to pay even more attention to the details.

What are you keeping that you're having trouble with?

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to remember is that people in these threads always post their very best growers, so (as with most of social media), you're comparing your average experience with everyone else's highlight reel.

I have SPS that grow an inch every 2-3 weeks, and others that put on a polyp every 3 months.

The requirements for growth are quite similar to the requirements for keeping corals alive, but you need to pay even more attention to the details.

What are you keeping that you're having trouble with?

Mostly my Torches. In general, they are slow growers I know. The thing is I have had 2 of them for a little over 2 years now and sit the same as they came in. I also wouldn't mind if my single sick grew a little faster.

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had great luck with LPS, flow in my tank is too high, I think, so I will refrain from giving you any "advice", except to suggest posting this in the LPS forum.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
slow, but steady growth in my 40B. i wouldn't want fast growth because then i would have to constantly be testing/dosing which i want to avoid for now. weekly testing, with adjustments as necessary is what i do.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper nutrients, light, flow, or stability/quality of your water. Check all the boxes and wait. Some corals just grow faster than others. Here are two pics of my TSA Bill Murray, taken 9ish months apart. Meanwhile, my Oregon Tort in a similar spot may have put on two polyps.
It looks like they have encrusted the plug and rock. With some that is the priority. I have a pink something that spent a year encrusting before it ever grew vertically. The encrusting growth counts. Hopefully they will take off vertically for for you soon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back