Your best solutions to eliminate green hair algae .

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anyone has looked into a correlation with high CO2 levels associated with poor oxygen exchange that might be a result of either poor KH/PH control, or possibly a glass top preventing good exchange at the surface?

I have a glass top on my tank and I struggle with GHA from time to time. The best solution I have had where I can still maintain good SPS growth is using NoPox to keep nutrients low and borrow a sea hare from time to time. The tank will remain free of GHA for 3 or 4 months, then I will have an outbreak all of the sudden that I am noticing may be associated with a more than usual drop in PH.

Since I don't have the means to test the CO2 levels I began to wonder if when the PH is dropping I have an excess of CO2 that would possibly cause an outbreak of GHA.

Anyone connected the dots on this?

I like having a solid glass top because my daughter's cat likes to sit on top of the tank to watch the fish through the glass. I am afraid if I put a screen top on I may end up with a cat in the reef!

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anyone has looked into a correlation with high CO2 levels associated with poor oxygen exchange that might be a result of either poor KH/PH control, or possibly a glass top preventing good exchange at the surface?

I have a glass top on my tank and I struggle with GHA from time to time. The best solution I have had where I can still maintain good SPS growth is using NoPox to keep nutrients low and borrow a sea hare from time to time. The tank will remain free of GHA for 3 or 4 months, then I will have an outbreak all of the sudden that I am noticing may be associated with a more than usual drop in PH.

Since I don't have the means to test the CO2 levels I began to wonder if when the PH is dropping I have an excess of CO2 that would possibly cause an outbreak of GHA.

Anyone connected the dots on this?

I like having a solid glass top because my daughter's cat likes to sit on top of the tank to watch the fish through the glass. I am afraid if I put a screen top on I may end up with a cat in the reef!
I have a top on my tank and run a calcium reactor. Last week was the first time I had hair algae. I tested the water and I found my alk had dropped to 6.7dkh.
Not sure if one had to do with the other.

Upvote 0

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant seems to be working for me. No harmful affect on my fish, inverts or corals either.

Here's a BRS video on it:

Upvote 0

WilbyBakedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually after giving the whole battle of trying to get the right water conditions I used the product called Reef Flux and it is pretty took care of my problems. You get 10caps for $15 bucks. 1 capsule per 10 gallons. I can’t recommend the product enough!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

emper14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing the rocks I could with peroxide and manual removal during water changes is what has helped me recently. The peroxide worked really well on the rocks.

Upvote 0

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Particularly for larger tanks, Sea Hares are great because they love the long hair algae that snails and urchins won't touch. My 90 is about 8 months old & I've had a Sea Hare in it for the past 4 months. Unlike when I put him in, there is not a lot of visible algae in the tank now. He's ugly as sin, but he does good work and has been a model citizen.

Upvote 0

91yjeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing the rocks I could with peroxide and manual removal during water changes is what has helped me recently. The peroxide worked really well on the rocks.
Do you take the rocks out of the tank to treat them with peroxide?

Upvote 0

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went through this and it was due high nitrate caused by my rodi filtration being exhausted. Couldn't figure it out untill I finally tested my tds, usually it's at 0-1, it was double digits . A crap load of water changes later, and a sea hare loan, all better.

Upvote 0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae is actually very healthy and the sign of a healthy tank. It grows on every healthy reef in the sea and we don't see it because of the millions of algae eaters.

What do you think urchins, tangs, algae bleenies, chitens and manatees eat?

I took these off a remote Hawaiian Island where the tangs were gone.

I have loads of it but I don't want it on my corals so it only grows on my DIY algae scrubber where I want it as I never want to eliminate the stuff.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back