Your choice for maintaining magnesium

gbcichlids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input here. Bought some liquid crap called precision mag from a local lfs and it seemed to lower my my mag which is around 800 ppm now. Tested with two different brands so I believe the results pretty true. I also tested a fresh batch of new water for a water change and the reef crystals tested 1050 and 1100 from both test kits.
Calcium and alkalinity both were in normal range. I know the three ions work together in some configuration and would only like to adjust the mag. Bulk reef sells the mag chloride flakes and appear to be favored over most of the other options.
Bottom line all of this; what do you use and why!
Thanks,
Randy

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use the stuff from BRS. Cheap and works great. Before that I had used the Tech-M product. It too works, but it sure costs a lot more.

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dolomite in my Ca reactor maintains mine. Buffer it to where you need it and the dolomite will keep it there.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS mix now but would like to go the calcium reactor additive route in the future.

+1

If using a ca rx then use something like zeomag (not dolomite!). Dolomite will add more alk thus throwing the alk, ca, and mag proportions out of wack.

Otherwise I'd use the BRS mix which is similar (or a replication) of Randy's mix.

Jeremy

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back