Your Coral feeding recipe... And yeast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6c162b3058406e98c7791f71322afb79.jpg

I came across this write-up on reef builders where your team talks about the techniques and experimenting you do with food combinations.

Has your recipe evolved since this publication? Above is the screen shot from the article.

And, can you provide some details regarding the "yeast" that you use and feed? Your store items list yeast as a main feeding component. But the idea of yeast confuses me.

Cheers and looking forward to picking up a Pavona Coral from you guys. Just curious about the yeast diet.

- Isaac

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@uniquecorals is there a better way to find the answer to my question? I'm only asking because I'd like to purchase some corals from you, since I'm in California, and your shipping is a great deal, and I just want to try and replicate the diet you are already using.

thanks for any guidance.
Isaac

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yeast used is your normal instant active dry yeast you can easily buy at the grocery store. I use a small pinch once daily. I found out about this from a very successful SPS coral farmer near me. He said it works on the tank similar to carbon dosing and also feeds the corals and micro fauna. Also, why not try to call or send an email direct to UC instead of posting here?

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yeast used is your normal instant active dry yeast you can easily buy at the grocery store. I use a small pinch once daily. I found out about this from a very successful SPS coral farmer near me. He said it works on the tank similar to carbon dosing and also feeds the corals and micro fauna. Also, why not try to call or send an email direct to UC instead of posting here?

Thank you for the reply. This is interesting. Well, to your last point, this is a forum, and I would always presume that questions pertaining to general information might be of interest to others in a forum—And specifically, about how they feed the animals they are selling. It could be considered useful information and possibly bring them business(?).

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to @uniquecorals they use brewers yeast mixed with tank water. Tim didn’t give me the exact ratios but I can’t imagine it would be too difficult to figure out.

After doing some googling it appears there is brewers yeast for nutritional purposes, breast feeding and lastly a completely different type for actually brewing. I’m going to start with the nutritional supplement for the moment and see what happens.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it acts like carbon dosing are you saying it lowers nitrate and phosphate? And feeds the corals and micro fauna at the same time? Sound to good to be true but if that’s the case that sounds like the perfect additive for a reef. Gonna have to find some reading about those claims as you got my interest up. How many gallons do you use just a pinch daily? And just regular dry yeast to boot?

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to @uniquecorals they use brewers yeast mixed with tank water. Tim didn’t give me the exact ratios but I can’t imagine it would be too difficult to figure out.

After doing some googling it appears there is brewers yeast for nutritional purposes, breast feeding and lastly a completely different type for actually brewing. I’m going to start with the nutritional supplement for the moment and see what happens.
Any updates?

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we’ll I’ve learned not to over feed, had a quick little battle with bryopsis which I believe was due to overfeeding the yeast and reefroids. I was getting amazing growth though, however due to me being out of town for an unexpected/unplanned period of time I came home to a large nitrate spike, presumably due to my inability to do water changes, and the high nitrate/phosphate hit the corals pretty hard.

I’m back to feeding the reefroid yeast combo about 2-3/week. I have about 100 gallons total so I’m using about half a tablespoon of each mixed with tank water and fed at night.

It’s taking a while for the coral to recover though so I’m not quite seeing any changes yet. I think the heavy feeding worked but you definitely need some heavy export methods to deal with the nitrates and phosphates.

joelbegt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we’ll I’ve learned not to over feed, had a quick little battle with bryopsis which I believe was due to overfeeding the yeast and reefroids. I was getting amazing growth though, however due to me being out of town for an unexpected/unplanned period of time I came home to a large nitrate spike, presumably due to my inability to do water changes, and the high nitrate/phosphate hit the corals pretty hard.

I’m back to feeding the reefroid yeast combo about 2-3/week. I have about 100 gallons total so I’m using about half a tablespoon of each mixed with tank water and fed at night.

It’s taking a while for the coral to recover though so I’m not quite seeing any changes yet. I think the heavy feeding worked but you definitely need some heavy export methods to deal with the nitrates and phosphates.

I’m curious, when you overfed did you feed more food in your mix or just feed the same mix more often?

thekeywork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What method were you using for feeding? I've been turning off pumps and spot feeding with a syringe.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back