YOUR ENERGY PLAN for this upcoming Winter and skyrocketing costs

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insulation. A dime of prevention will pay back big dividends. I sealed the basement with 2" foam to the cement and spray sealed the header. No bugs, rarely ever heat the basement. Air sealed all can lights and any penetrations into the house from the attic. Put a foot of cellulose insulation in the attic. 70 year old house and fairly air tight. To the point that I'm adding make up air to improve the iaq. Looking to excise gas appliances hopefully soon.

Tanks do take a lot of power, but they're not a drop in the bucket compared to most house heating/cooling needs. Air sealing and secondarily insulation are probably more important than heating/cooling. A lot of towns or energy saving companies will do an inexpensive audit and very low interest loan (usually backed by the government) to get people into a more comfortable home. Might be worth asking your town if they have any recommendations.

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all electric heat only expected to go up 5%. Thank god my house was build in the 70s since that seems like what everyone wants to go back to.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I insulated part of my basement that the builder "forgot' to insulate 20 years ago and what a difference!

I went from the coldest place in the house to the warmest place in the house.

Rockwool does wonders!

Other than that, not much else I can do because of the many improvements over the years. That said, more could be done for sure but I'm not about to open up the walls, again.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given my Apex says my tank costs about $12 a month, I'm not worried about it and won't change anything. Bigger concern will be the rest of the bill. $400 a month? Sounds heavenly. 30% increase will put me more around $900 a month. Sigh...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back