Your favorite fish that's under $100 and what's the "sweet spot?"

What's the "sweet spot" in spending for a SINGLE fish?

• $25 or less

Votes: 49 6.3%
  • $50 or less

Votes: 285 36.7%
  • $75 or less

Votes: 180 23.2%
  • $100 or less

Votes: 131 16.9%
  • $150 or less

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • $200 or less

Votes: 23 3.0%
  • If I like it I buy it no matter the cost!

Votes: 81 10.4%

• Total voters

ceruleanspiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite under $100 was my captive bred Mandarin. So adorable. Until she jumped :eek:

Both my clowns were over $100 (longfins) so I cant even say I stick to $100 or less lol.

I want some longfins when we move in a couple years. I want to get a longfin phantom and a longfin black ice.

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favorite $100 fish would be multi color angel. Favorite under $50 would be my $38 dollar long nose hawk. He is a character

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with “200 or less” due to my love of Mystery Wrasses!
Other than those it would have to be $100 or less with the plethora of vibrant colored specimens available in the hobby.
However, if I had the tank size to match the needs, I would have to get a Vlamingi and they may well fall in a higher price bracket dependent on size. Most everyone I have seen that’s a pet (not brought in just for sale at LFS) seems to develop a bond with the owner. A few I know of will swim to the front glass when you get near the tank and wait to be petted! Like Golden Retrievers of the Sea!
1579286667353.jpeg

paleoreef103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish for under $100 is a four-line wrasse. Better colors and generally more relaxed than a six-line wrasse. It was never an issue in my old 40 breeder, but I'm not sure how well it would do in a community tank that was much smaller than that. They do a good job at picking off some pests in the tank that larger fish couldn't get to. I got mine for $45, but it's rare to see them under $80 now. I've generally gone for fish in the $20-50 range, but every tank needs a showstopper.

YMAonthisreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is a marble wrasse. Beautiful color, utilitarian, and gets along with everybody!

54Dutchman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote goes to a fish normally under twenty- royal gramma ; beautiful and interesting little fish. If I would be going to a FOWLER the clown trigger

Kernowzx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it's a single eel I'd much rather have a shoal of Cardinals either PJ s or bangais!

ReeferCrabness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no set price range, but have to factor birthday time and anniversaries with my wife. Not going to get away with pawning off a few Macy's gift cards
after forking out $200 for a fish. Been there, done that, hated sleeping on the couch.... ;-)

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have...I got a Midnight Clown for half off, a Frostbite Clown also half off, and I love them both (although the Midnight - The Darkness - being female can be mean to the Frostbite - The Ghost - and to me, so knock off a few points from her score).

But the one I really love, is my Sixline Wrasse - Colonel Patterson. And it isn't just because he zips about the tank, or that he eats some pests, or that he has pretty colors. Its also because he is, contrary to apparently everyone else's sixline, the peacekeeper of the tank.

Whenever he sees The Darkness being too much of a mean &!%@# to The Ghost, he will place himself in between them and push her away. He will then stay there constantly pushing her back until he is satisfied that she has calmed down enough that he feels he can leave them alone without worry. At which point he goes about his day, until the next time he needs to step in.

But yeah. Generally I try to save as much money as I can when buying fish and I try to keep it around $50 or less. Although if I had a large tank and extra money....

Scott97062

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of fish fit this category but I;d have to say my favorite is the Piccaso Trigger, I am also partial to my lunar wrasse, dragon wrasse, yellow tang, snowflake eel ( although he hides too much), fox face & sailfin tang.

P1000184.JPG

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish! Sure they can be mean, but they are without a doubt one of the most fascinating fish in the hobby, especially with an anemone :)

What species and/or pattern is your favorite (that is $100 or less)?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back