Your favorite fish that's under $100 and what's the "sweet spot?"

What's the "sweet spot" in spending for a SINGLE fish?

• $25 or less

Votes: 49 6.3%
  • $50 or less

Votes: 285 36.7%
  • $75 or less

Votes: 180 23.2%
  • $100 or less

Votes: 131 16.9%
  • $150 or less

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • $200 or less

Votes: 23 3.0%
  • If I like it I buy it no matter the cost!

Votes: 81 10.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not bragging but that $100 fish online is available for $5 in my LFS. The cost of livestock mesmerises me.

That’s awesome! Unfortunately the shipping from your LFS to Florida can be a bit prohibitive. :(

There are some excellent clownfish breeders in China and Taiwan doing some amazing work!

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about any butterfly is available for under 100 but I draw the line at the $5000 wrought iron Butterfly.
Most cheap fish are problem children , blue damsels, firefish, tangs, gobies etc.... Especially if you want more then one , they kill each other or are very aggressive and or get too big for our tanks.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draw the line at the $5000 wrought iron Butterfly.

Whats so funny to me is that if you had not mentioned it's value and I had seen one of these on a dive and had netted it, I would have just released it. I am not sure if it's better looking in person but on video it's butt ugly. Kind of reminds me of how large French Angels look. I guess some people are into the rarity of a fish. I am more into how it looks and behaves.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to stay under $100, but I've paid slightly more a time or two. I'm definitely a huge wrasse fan...their beauty, their elegance, just everything! I've had many over the years, but my next fish may be another exquisite wrasse. I had a great one about 6 years ago, until he jumped in the overflow and met his demise. I have a Lubbock's fairy wrasse now, who cracks me up when he gets "mad" at his reflection in the glass and turns all kinds of crazy colors!

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone already mentioned this.... but my Convict Tang is a great fish. Not aggressive at all. It has great coloration.....along with a fair amount of yellow highlights. It is constantly grazing which really helps with any errant algae. Great Fish! If I had to do over again.... a trio in my tank would have been pretty cool...

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue eye anthias 27.00

79BE7E65-8790-4254-86C6-06ECB8AE109D.jpeg

Stevegrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Niger Trigger is my choice as well. He has been a model citizen and I'm fascinated with their swim.

Vasilios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish in the saltwater aquarium hobby is not lacking and you don't have to spend a fortune to get a nice, good looking fish for your tank! So that being said let's talk about some great fish choices for under $100!

1. What's your favorite saltwater fish that's normally priced under $100?

2. What makes this fish your favorite choice?

Under $100 Fish.jpg
I love blue manderin. Cool psychedelic colors. Just floats around minding his business

MarcF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price is often correlated with size. So a high priced Picasso trigger could cost much less with a smaller Picasso trigger.
I just returned from LFS. No fish for me yet - just started cycling. But he has many wonderful fish for < $100. He has a flame angel about 2 inches long for $65. I’ll keep my eye on that one.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the fish to you is worth the price then by all means buy it. I have spent 300 to 400 on a single fish and have not regretted it! But I guess on a side note a $30 fish still brings me just as much joy!

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the fish in my tank were over $50. My current favorite though has to be my kole tang. So much personality. Second place goes to the pearly jawfish pair.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats so funny to me is that if you had not mentioned it's value and I had seen one of these on a dive and had netted it, I would have just released it. I am not sure if it's better looking in person but on video it's butt ugly. Kind of reminds me of how large French Angels look. I guess some people are into the rarity of a fish. I am more into how it looks and behaves.

Rarity has nothing to do with it for me . I like the looks of the fish and love the butterflies so I find it’s something I could see myself buying if it was affordable. I also like the Pakistan Butterfly yet most would probably find it boring , same with the Klein’s.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you put a limit on something you like. SO, my limit is $75 because over that I go nuts when they die.. a favorite fish that died and cost more than that makes me .. shiver... Favorite fish is my Solar wrasse. $69. others include the Kole tang, Tail-spot Blennie and Yellow coris wrasse. I love the wrasse family and might exceed my limit for a good one.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the flame angel but I just haven’t had good luck with them over the years. But a close second is the yellow tang they just pop so well and everyone loves them when they see the tank for the first time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back