Your favorite Metal Halides for Acropora Growth and Coloration

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the ANSI code on those ballasts? Could be incompatible with the Reefbrite bulbs. Just a thought.

I purchased 2 of the HTG Supply 400watt ballasts and upon inspection noticed they were M59’s. They don’t specify on their site and didn’t respond to a email inquiry so I took a chance. Needed M135’s to run Radium’s. At $50 a pop I kept them and just switched out the M59 for a M135 in the nice metal enclosure.

Nice setup btw!!!
you are right! they are m59s. unfortunately the kits to convert them are around the same price as new digital ballasts these days. hopefully by the end of the week when my other ballasts show up I should be squared away

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are right! they are m59s. unfortunately the kits to convert them are around the same price as new digital ballasts these days. hopefully by the end of the week when my other ballasts show up I should be squared away
If you don’t mind me asking, which new ballasts did you end up going with? I find it’s relatively difffiuclt to find ones that go below 400. I have two spares currently but looking at maybe picking up a couple more

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind me asking, which new ballasts did you end up going with? I find it’s relatively difffiuclt to find ones that go below 400. I have two spares currently but looking at maybe picking up a couple more
I found out also that 250W is very hard to find. I ended up ordering 3 of these 600 watt ballasts because they can run either 250w or 400w bulbs with that switch so I don't need to worry about a ballast again if I want to change intensities of light on the tank. they should get to me by the end of the week fingers crossed

In the meantime I also got one of these because of the fast shipping on amazon it will be here tomorrow to get that 3rd light going for now and will serve as a back up ballast in the future.

Danner Supreme Hydroponics Digital Grow Light 250-watt Non-Dimmable Digital Ballast Manufacturing​

(just copy and paste that into amazon)

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those eBay ones are similar to the VivoSun back ups I bought off Amazon.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all 3 lights up and running! I love it and the corals do too! I wont be going back to an all LED aquarium ever again :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

image4.jpeg

CLew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all! Back in the day in another life I grew plants and remember for some reason these remote ballasts had a higher yield than my digital ballasts. HTG supply looks like they are unloading all of their metal halide products at crazy low prices so I put together a shopping list to help anyone else out looking to put together a new system on the cheap. this is what I went with, got 3 of each
ballast.jpg

New 250w Ballast $35

download.jpg

New Socket and cord $6

download (1).jpg

New Hood $49 20"x15"

Then the bulb of your choice
Thanks for all the work documenting your efforts. I thought I would mention that the 250w ballast in your shopping list is an ANSI M58 ballast which is exactly what is spec'd for Ushio SE 250w bulbs. I was running Hamilton bulbs on Icecap electronic ballasts but wanted to move away from the blue look so switched to Ushio 10k. Unfortunately, the Ushio seemed to flicker a bit on the Icecap. I decided to look for an M58 ballast and took a gamble on the Agrostar even though the site does not explicitly indicate M58. Glad to report that it is indeed an M58 and is driving the Ushio flicker free.

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have them send you photos of the actual bulbs. Many places sell bulbs "for phoenix" or the like. Hexarc is fine and the early bulbs did not say Phoenix on them, but they should say Hexarc Blue, made in Japan and look crystal clear. There are some Hexarc bulbs out there in lower K ratings, so be careful not to buy these.
I ordered these bulbs and was sent plusrite bulbs. Big rip off and there return options really suck also... heed the word replacement bulb.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back