Your favorite Metal Halides for Acropora Growth and Coloration

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very clean looking install. I wonder why the glass is breaking if it's running that cool? I was worried you killed the passive cooling with the placement of the LEDS but the fan must be working very well.

I guess it doesnt' take much though, I had an aquarium pop that I left outside after cleaning. As soon as direct sun hit it, big ol crack.

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very clean looking install. I wonder why the glass is breaking if it's running that cool? I was worried you killed the passive cooling with the placement of the LEDS but the fan must be working very well.

I guess it doesnt' take much though, I had an aquarium pop that I left outside after cleaning. As soon as direct sun hit it, big ol crack.
Thanks, i spent a lot of times trying to fit everything together while running properly, doing the whole cable work from scratch is a bit of a mess with no much space.

It popped right under the bulb so I guess that's too close to the halide.
I've seen other people doing it with normal glass, maybe with this kind of slim design, it's really too close for regular glass.

I have led bars that I've bought in case in can't dit the Hydra, much worse for the look and being at the side, the hit you right in the eyes at an angle

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i spent a lot of times trying to fit everything together while running properly, doing the whole cable work from scratch is a bit of a mess with no much space.

It popped right under the bulb so I guess that's too close to the halide.
I've seen other people doing it with normal glass, maybe with this kind of slim design, it's really too close for regular glass.

I have led bars that I've bought in case in can't dit the Hydra, much worse for the look and being at the side, the hit you right in the eyes at an angle
I hear ya on that. I ran a 6' Spectra. They are such sleek fixtures it's a bummer to hang something off the side. I was tempted to try a led bar retro-fit in place of the t5 section, but never did. I believe those panels you occupied draw cool air up and past the housing of the MH as it heats up. If you have a fan to mimic that I'm sure it would be fine.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass shattered under the halide so it's either 2 hydras only on the side but that's not enough blending for a 5' tank or removing everything and using a blue led bar but then aesthetics/ i do not really want to drill into the cover to mount them

Have some glass cut at a local glass shop. It’s easy and cheap to replace.

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some glass cut at a local glass shop. It’s easy and cheap to replace.
So it breaks again?
It broke juste under the bulb and everything is well ventilated.

I've removed the central LED so i fit the stock glass ...

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it breaks again?

I hope not.

Several years back I tried to run an ATI T5 fixture without the protective acrylic shield. It was mounted fairly high (maybe like 12-14”), but the water splashed all over the reflectors and ruined them. They were $20+ a pop and I needed 8 of them so you can do the math on that. Will never do it again with any fixture. :)

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it breaks again?

Reach out to Dave at Hamilton. With them not running fixtures at the moment he might have some spare glass lying around he will sell you.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen somebody mention laminated, in any case, can't find 3mm of that either...

Normal glass was installed as pictured before but after 10 minutes:
20230317_104520.jpg

I've called another glass shop that offered me 4mm tempered glass to which they thin out 1mm of the side to make it slides in, not sure if that will hold the tempering process but let's see
1/8" tempered glass is the way to go.

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/8" tempered glass is the way to go.
But it wouldn't fit in the rail of the spectra!

In the end, here is how it goes, crazy look with 2Hydra on each end to cover the 1/2' on each side missing, i added 2 led bar with complete 450/470nm led, mounted with 3D printed parts as usual:

20230320_162917.jpg

20230320_162949.jpg

I get an average of 400-600 in most of the tank, 300 at the bottom without the LED bar that may add 50 each

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the end, here is how it goes, crazy look with 2Hydra on each end to cover the 1/2' on each side missing, i added 2 led bar with complete 450/470nm led, mounted with 3D printed parts as usual:

20230320_162917.jpg

20230320_162949.jpg

I get an average of 400-600 in most of the tank, 300 at the bottom without the LED bar that may add 50 each
You can make some of this or buy it and make your own track to slide the glass in..

Attachments

• 8514ABC5-D70C-4AE9-AB77-30524AE37C0B.png
    8514ABC5-D70C-4AE9-AB77-30524AE37C0B.png
    173.3 KB · Views: 29

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230320_162917.jpg

20230320_162949.jpg

Do you think those LEDs on the sides are really necessary? I like the LED strips outside of the fixture.
IMO it's a waste of electricity because the halides can take care of the needs already. Unless they have a very important play in aesthetics for you.
Do you think they will last enough with the heat from the halides though?

Now I remember the glass of the Spectra has a special shape to fit those slots.

You could use glass/ mirror clips to hold the glass.
Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 12.32.51 PM.png

Last edited:

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think those LEDs on the sides are really necessary? I like the LED strips outside of the fixture.
IMO it's a waste of electricity because the halides can take care of the needs already. Unless they have a very important play in aesthetics for you.
Do you think they will last enough with the heat from the halides though?

Now I remember the glass of the Spectra has a special shape to fit those slots.

You could use glass/ mirror clips to hold the glass.
Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 12.32.51 PM.png
That's a good idea for this kind of clips,didn't thought about it but I have to give it some thought as to how to attach it to the frame

About the led bar, that's purely for that complete blue look before switching off,not needed for now.

Issue is that i light my tank for about 12H, if halide are on for 6-7H, then it's dark the rest of the day with only 4*54W T5 for a 150G

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea for this kind of clips,didn't thought about it but I have to give it some thought as to how to attach it to the frame

About the led bar, that's purely for that complete blue look before switching off,not needed for now.

Issue is that i light my tank for about 12H, if halide are on for 6-7H, then it's dark the rest of the day with only 4*54W T5 for a 150G
Epoxy or pop rivets, screws etc.. very simple

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to make holes for the screws.
Try to get stainless screws and clips to attach them.
Yeah, the LED bars are ok bcause they are out of the heat area.
I understand. You are the one choosing the photoperiod and lighting schedule. You have to be happy. I just pointed that I don't think it will last long time the way it's positioned there. Maybe it will... If you have AC on 24/7, for example. That would help.
I can use halides only, or halides and T5s and be more than happy.
I use halides for 4 hours and all T5s on for 9 hours.
Everyone is different. Cheers!!

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to make holes for the screws.
Try to get stainless screws and clips to attach them.

Yeah, the LED bars are ok bcause they are out of the heat area.

I understand. You are the one choosing the photoperiod and lighting schedule. You have to be happy. I just pointed that I don't think it will last long time the way it's positioned there. Maybe it will... If you have AC on 24/7, for example. That would help.
I can use halides only, or halides and T5s and be more than happy.
I use halides for 4 hours and all T5s on for 9 hours.
Everyone is different. Cheers!!
I mean, i don't mind putting the halides for longer once acclimated but do you think 10h is a bit unreasonable maybe?

They are not in contact of the fixture, there is 3mm gap in between, after running the halide for hours, it is still just barely warm.
Don't forget that i have 3 small fan blowing air, nothing is getting that warm, i can touch side of the glass when running the halides!

Don't you find it super dim with just the T5? Even more after running the bright halide!

By the way, found a company here for 55$/u:

20230321_091100.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, i don't mind putting the halides for longer once acclimated but do you think 10h is a bit unreasonable maybe?

They are not in contact of the fixture, there is 3mm gap in between, after running the halide for hours, it is still just barely warm.
Don't forget that i have 3 small fan blowing air, nothing is getting that warm, i can touch side of the glass when running the halides!

Don't you find it super dim with just the T5? Even more after running the bright halide!

By the way, found a company here for 55$/u:

20230321_091100.jpg
Yeah, the only thing that I would love to have with the Spectra would be a better T5 design, with decent reflectors and some sort of cooling system, like the ATI Sunpower. But we just can't always win. It is a shame how those T5s are dim with those bad designed reflectors!
That's why I like the Hamilton Cebu better!! The design of the Cebu is bulky, but not so bulk as many would think.. anyways.. the Spectra is a great fixture as is, but the T5s do lack in design.
You gotta do what you gotta do. I guess we will find out how long those fans will help.

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the only thing that I would love to have with the Spectra would be a better T5 design, with decent reflectors and some sort of cooling system, like the ATI Sunpower. But we just can't always win. It is a shame how those T5s are dim with those bad designed reflectors!
That's why I like the Hamilton Cebu better!! The design of the Cebu is bulky, but not so bulk as many would think.. anyways.. the Spectra is a great fixture as is, but the T5s do lack in design.
You gotta do what you gotta do. I guess we will find out how long those fans will help.
Do you think the T5 look dim because of the reflector design or is that we are used to LEDs?
I had T5 on single reflectors, they always looks dim due to the homogenous light.

I'm not worried for the LEDs, as i said they aren't warm as they aren't touching the fixture.

What would be the longest photoperiod using halides if electricity or heat wasn't an issue?

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the T5 look dim because of the reflector design or is that we are used to LEDs?
I had T5 on single reflectors, they always looks dim due to the homogenous light.

I'm not worried for the LEDs, as i said they aren't warm as they aren't touching the fixture.

What would be the longest photoperiod using halides if electricity or heat wasn't an issue?

At 10 to 13 inches of height with a 14k 250watt bulb i would stay around 6 to 8 hours. Maybe longer with a 20k

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back