Your go to corals for MOVEMENT in a saltwater reef tank are...

How much do you care about coral "movement" in your tank?

• A lot

Votes: 318 67.8%
  • Very little

Votes: 120 25.6%
  • Not at all

Votes: 22 4.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.9%

• Total voters

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My school of 10 yellow tangs bring the tank to life more so than anything else in the tank.

8CCB5729-C075-432F-8B09-79F3B204C8E7.jpeg
Beautiful! We had a group of 5 yellows when I was a kid and agreed - they add SO much movement. Also damsels are great for that as well (I don't have either currently though, tank not large enough).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fav are my pulsing xenia and woody clove polyps (they've grown a ton in 3 months - from about a 3-4" frag to this huge, fluffy swaying colony).
I have never looked at a photo of Xenia and enjoyed them until this appeared.
Beautiful! We had a group of 5 yellows when I was a kid and agreed - they add SO much movement. Also damsels are great for that as well (I don't have either currently though, tank not large enough).
I have had a group of about 7 yellows and definitely agree! Then some how we were successful in adding 2 Yellow scopas’ to the bunch.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never looked at a photo of Xenia and enjoyed them until this appeared.

I have had a group of about 7 yellows and definitely agree! Then some how we were successful in adding 2 Yellow scopas’ to the bunch.
Oh I should've been more clear - the pic is of the clove polyps, not the xenia (my xenia are purple, still pretty though!) If you like these I'd highly recommend picking some up from Aquacorals online (where I got mine - she seems to often have them on sale and I just love them!) They don't pulse, but they are so feathery and sway so beautifully in the current - very calming. :)

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a lot but need everything to be peaceful in my tiny 5g so I just have a Corky Sea Finger gorg that looks like it sways a lot because of its long polyps. My other gorgs don't move. I have a xenia type coral but it doesn't move much. Can folks recommend any other peaceful corals that sway? If the corky's came in a multitude of colours I would have a whole tank just full of those.
These woody clove polyps I got from Aquacorals - my fav. :) Most peaceful coral in my tank too (they're touching purple xenia and also my kenya tree sometimes with zero problems). In a 5 gal I'd just get the smallest frag of these that Aquacorals has (only $19 btw!) - they grow fast but aren't invasive like xenia. Just kinda stay clumped together.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-214331_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-214331_Gallery.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 25

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I should've been more clear - the pic is of the clove polyps, not the xenia (my xenia are purple, still pretty though!) If you like these I'd highly recommend picking some up from Aquacorals online (where I got mine - she seems to often have them on sale and I just love them!) They don't pulse, but they are so feathery and sway so beautifully in the current - very calming. :)
They’re beautiful for sure! I also love looking at the firework cloves but have never been able to get my hands on even just one polyp.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re beautiful for sure! I also love looking at the firework cloves but have never been able to get my hands on even just one polyp.
Same here - eyeing some different cloves recently, like these from Cultivated Reef. I don't see these locally much so I'd have to order online. I see you're in the UK - I wonder if any US stores would ship overseas... Maybe not very cost effective, not sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-222220_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-222220_Chrome.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 29

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get the Greeeenest GSP?!
I totally agree
That's actually a kinda tricky question to answer. What looks good in my tank, with my lights, and my parameters, in eastern central Indiana, may not (and probably won't) look the same as your tank, your lights and your parameters in Minnesota. Every tank is different.
When you buy online, you should get reviews from others to see if what they got is what they wanted.
Me personally, if there is something really specific that I am wanting, I will buy it in person.

goldfish423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually a kinda tricky question to answer. What looks good in my tank, with my lights, and my parameters, in eastern central Indiana, may not (and probably won't) look the same as your tank, your lights and your parameters in Minnesota. Every tank is different.
When you buy online, you should get reviews from others to see if what they got is what they wanted.
Me personally, if there is something really specific that I am wanting, I will buy it in person.
Yeah I agree with you on all of that.
I have two types of it both with different colors and length of extension of polyps
I saw WWC was selling a blue centered GSP has me very interested

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These woody clove polyps I got from Aquacorals - my fav. :) Most peaceful coral in my tank too (they're touching purple xenia and also my kenya tree sometimes with zero problems). In a 5 gal I'd just get the smallest frag of these that Aquacorals has (only $19 btw!) - they grow fast but aren't invasive like xenia. Just kinda stay clumped together.
Very nice. Thanks for the suggestion!! :) I need more movement. :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back