Your GO TO tools and TIPS for making it easier to keep your glass clean!

How often do have to clean your aquarium glass?

• Every Day

Votes: 82 9.9%
  • A few Days a Week

Votes: 247 29.8%
  • A Couple Days a Week

Votes: 242 29.2%
  • Once a Week

Votes: 195 23.6%
  • Every 10 or so Days

Votes: 49 5.9%
  • Every Couple of Weeks

Votes: 35 4.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.2%

• Total voters

Mikeht11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Fritz Glass cleaner. Stuff works amazing!! Drips clean off without streaks!! Makes my mag float slide across the glass beautifully!!
Only down side to the fritz is the funky smell, But i can live with that. Crazy how slick the glass is after. It’s like waxing a car.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HAD NO CHOICE ON MY BIG TANK BUT TO GET THE " MIGHTY MAGNET " !!!
Very expensive BUT covers a wide area quickly and without scratching acrylic.

1576260543446.png

1576260582455.png
What would you recommend for a smaller acrylic tank? My mag float is Meh...at best. I have to put my hand in the tank with a credit card as a scraper if I want to get off the hard stuff.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze strong care magnet is great and puts all of my different sized magfloats to shame. Recently set up a new tank and was reminded again how bad the mag floats were. So now I’m constantly moving the tunze magnet from tank to tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What would you recommend for a smaller acrylic tank? My mag float is Meh...at best. I have to put my hand in the tank with a credit card as a scraper if I want to get off the hard stuff.
WISH TUNZE STRONG HAD A TRUE ACRYLIC BLADE. I too pretty much have to do my drop off acrylic by hand. The only blade I trust would be the piranha float with acylic pad. works pretty good on a smaller tank

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flippers on all my tanks. One of my employees was in the office on a Saturday with his kids and the kids decided to clean the glass. Scratches everywhere. Dumped the old scrapers, scored some Flipper's and have yet to scratch anything. To clean with I use a squeegee with a little vinager if the glass is really dirty otherwise I just use water. About once every couple of months I'll clean the class with alcohol, shine it with a microfiber towel and the apply RainX. Works wonders.
I was wondering if anyone had caught on to Rain-X, water jumps off that stuff and makes the glass nice and slippery.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic tank so the "glass" never needs cleaning.

The snails do most of the work, and every couple of months I scrape out a porthole for viewing with a long-handled acrylic scraper, forgot:cool: the scrapers' name. I used to use credit cards and immersion cleaning but I gave up and now have a top-view tank only.

I have discovered that the water surface is generally easier to keep clean and coralline doesn't grow there like the viewing panes. :)

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze strong care magnet is great and puts all of my different sized magfloats to shame. Recently set up a new tank and was reminded again how bad the mag floats were. So now I’m constantly moving the tunze magnet from tank to tank.

I also love my Tunze Care Magnet Long which is perfect for 1/2" glass.

1576368877231.png

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rock the flipper for the in side and use the api glass cleaner for the outside It put a wax like finish on the glass so future finger prints and what not can be wiped clean with a dry paper towel. It lasts about a week

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just use a toothbrush since I just have 4 gallons. Might not be ideal for a larger reef though lol.
ive used the flipper and magfloat on larger tanks, magfloat worked really good on my bowfront.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of scraper on a stick. $15 bucks off of Amazon; does the job. I also have snails to clean the glass (I need to check out reefcleaners though because they've got some good ones). ;)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Care Magnet - got another one for my quarantine. Strong magnet, doesn't damage silicone seal, doesn't hold sand if you pick some up. It doesn't float true, but it's light enough that I can usually reattach from the magnet alone.

Plus got a long handled scraper for the tough stuff.

Outside I use the Tunze spray. But only because I liked the Care Magnet so much, I thought I'd try it, too. Only been a few weeks, but love it. Other DIY stuff I used didn't seem to last as long. Those in between touch ups that streak the glass....arrrggghhhh! Those don't seem to happen as much...purely anectdotal evidence of course...but it my anecdotal evidence so good enough for me.

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 14 bio cube I use a mag float nano so I can get the rounded edges. I will never own another aquarium with rounded or curved glass!! On my 20 long I have a flipper. And on my 3 gallon pico soon to be back up, I use a nimble super. Granted if I dont clean the glass frequently enough on the pico I will have to take a razor blade to it.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week in my fowler, twice a week in my reef. I think it is because the lights are more intense.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back