OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of tripod works well with the camera housing? I have a hard time getting a sharp image with my lower lighting and have never considered a tripod.
u need one that can go above the tank and which can have a horizontal support. My Manfrotto 190x pro B does it but don't think it's in production still..

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to get the same look on Corals far from the water surface. Not sure if it's diffraction caused by water or just a bit of motion bluer due to not being as stable as when shooting through glass.
Make sure u have a fast enough shutter speed to freeze motion as well as a narrow aperture enough to avoid blurred edges of the Coral.
Thanks for the advice. I suspect it's the movement, can't keep the fish from swimming long enough to stabilize the porthole so there's always some sloshing on the surface :)

HCA Coral

HCA Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on top down shots too here is one of my shots with a sigma 105 sony a7III. I also cant find clarity i get from front glass.

Attachments

• DSC06361.jpg
    DSC06361.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 62

Freakmachine01

Guess who I'v seen today... Everyone I looked at.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the acrylic tube for your camera what exactly should I search for? What are the key search words. I tried to search clear acrylic tube for camera and nothing comes up. Maybe a link or two to some versions they sell online please

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the acrylic tube for your camera what exactly should I search for? What are the key search words. I tried to search clear acrylic tube for camera and nothing comes up. Maybe a link or two to some versions they sell online please

You mean this? This is the top down lens attachment I use. (@AVAST Marine is a R2R sponsor too!!)

Freakmachine01

Guess who I'v seen today... Everyone I looked at.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You mean this? This is the top down lens attachment I use. (@AVAST Marine is a R2R sponsor too!!)
Yes this is what I mean but I wanted to know what keywords to search for to see what other manufacturers also make them I know advanced makes them in a really good product. I just didn't know it was exactly called a porthole. Thank you for the information

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is what I mean but I wanted to know what keywords to search for to see what other manufacturers also make them I know advanced makes them in a really good product. I just didn't know it was exactly called a porthole. Thank you for the information
porthole is Avast's name brand, like twinky is a snack cake (sort of haha). Not sure what the generic name would be.

legendhua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY - Top down porthole

Materials: Acrylic Storage Canister / lens protector / fixed plate
無標題 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

leakage test

another camera sets

pictures:
DSC01325 草莓蛋糕 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

DSC01238 鈕扣 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

DSC01318 金鋼狼 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P1295760 鈕扣 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DIY - Top down porthole

Materials: Acrylic Storage Canister / lens protector / fixed plate

leakage test

another camera sets

pictures:
DSC01325 草莓蛋糕 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

DSC01238 鈕扣 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

DSC01318 金鋼狼 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

P1295760 鈕扣 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
That's really cool!!

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my DIY top down box... used for years before I went with the Avast one. DiY allows u to match the diameter of ur lense and the depth based on the length of the lens and how deep u want to go underwater. This one works great for shallow tanks or frag tanks.
I'd be cautious with DIY as a leak will be unforgiving for expensive gear.
20220512_230232.jpg

Last edited:

legendhua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any suggestions for camera setting on the top downs? I use an Avast Porthole with my Canon 100mm macro, but the images always look wonky compared to the ones through the glass. Might be my tripod, which I have to lean against the tank to get above the waterline, or it might be my aperture is too long,

example of top down of my Stellaria chaice

stellariatopdown by Peter Young, on Flickr

and same coral, through the front glass with the same hardware

stellaria-33 by Peter Young, on Flickr

just never as sharp with the top down.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Judging from the photo information on flickr, the aperture is too small(f=18) and the shutter is too long(s=6), causing the photo to look blurry.
The photo taken from top to bottom is more difficult to hold the camera stably, and a shutter that is too slow is even less conducive to taking clear photos.
I would keep the shutter lower than 1/125s.
DSC04423 Montipora Confusa by legendhua, 於 Flickr

DSC03567 榔頭珊瑚 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
DSC03507 草莓蛋糕 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
P4080005 榔頭珊瑚 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
P5140085 SPS by legendhua, 於 Flickr
P5140083 海珊 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
PB300034 草莓蛋糕 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
P5140093 皇冠 by legendhua, 於 Flickr
PA090021 紅奶嘴海葵 粉紅小丑 by legendhua, 於 Flickr

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics thanks for sharing, great advice as well. One thing tonadd is that the pics added by by PedroYoung are also taken with a 100mm and I feel at closer distance to his subjects than yours which results in more blurrr and less DOF thenwith your shots taken at same parameters.
PedroYoung smaller aperture technique is logically getting him more DOF at the expense of more motion blur as he's having to shoot very slow to compensate.
A good tripod and stopping flow would help with corals what don't sway or without polyps that move....another technique is focus stacking where camera takes multiple shots at shallower DOF and shifts the focus point in each shot to acquire multiple shots at different focus points on your coraland then stacks them so you get a final image with more DOF and less motion.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back