Your Oldest Piece of Equipment STILL IN USE?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of the ASM skimmers. Sedra pump was crap, but the body is good for a lifetime. Still competitive with all of the gimmicky 'improvements' in newer skimmers.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim 2215 purchased in 1992 and an Eheim 2217 purchased used in 1994 that already looked pretty old. Both ran in FW most of their life but the 2215 is now filtering my SW fish quarantine tank. The 2217 is in a FW quarantine tank. I have replaced impellers and shafts at least once and O-rings in the canisters, but these filters are about as bulletproof as you can get. I have 6 of them in service in various tanks, mostly FW.

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little ceramic house was all I could afford when I was 11 years old. I bought it and placed in my 10 gal with my guppies and plat ties. I guess it was my first decoration. It has never caused any problems in my fresh or salt tanks.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Eheim canister filter 2217 that was first placed in service in 1993. Since then it has run virtually non-stop on both saltwater and freshwater aquariums without fail. A feat even more remarkable in light of the abuse it has endured as a result of my carelessness. By way of example:

- I’ve forgotten to reopen one or more ball valves on the quick disconnects after servicing, only to run the filter (without flow) for a day or more before discovering my error.

- After some clumsy manhandling, I’ve broken the ceramic shaft of the impeller and used a section of coat hanger and even a shish- kabob skewer as an emergency fix.

It has never leaked, never needed any of the seals or hoses replaced and has had the same internal filter media since day one.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Eheim canister filter 2217 that was first placed in service in 1993. Since then it has run virtually non-stop on both saltwater and freshwater aquariums without fail. A feat even more remarkable in light of the abuse it has endured as a result of my carelessness. By way of example:

- I’ve forgotten to reopen one or more ball valves on the quick disconnects after servicing, only to run the filter (without flow) for a day or more before discovering my error.

- After some clumsy manhandling, I’ve broken the ceramic shaft of the impeller and used a section of coat hanger and even a shish- kabob skewer as an emergency fix.

It has never leaked, never needed any of the seals or hoses replaced and has had the same internal filter media since day one.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hagen Aquaclear power head (big one) I bought in the early 90's as a return pump from my wet dry. I still use it to mix salt.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the coral sand i bought in 1964, if sand can be classed as equipment,( it does do a job), far better than any coral sand you buy these days

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the coral sand i bought in 1964, if sand can be classed as equipment,( it does do a job), far better than any coral sand you buy these days

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little ceramic house was all I could afford when I was 11 years old. I bought it and placed in my 10 gal with my guppies and plat ties. I guess it was my first decoration. It has never caused any problems in my fresh or salt tanks.

You can't say that and then not post a pic of said house! :)

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Wow it’s amazing on how old some of this stuff is and still works. Most people have equipment older than I am lol and I was starting to feel old. My parents bought me at Wal Mart in 93, and most of this equipment is before even then.

@tank o tang my oldest brother has all the old rc cars. It’s kinda funny he would never trade them off. He still has all of his rc cars from the 80s, which literally look brand new.

I’m thinking the older stuff was much cheaper then today’s stuff and it’s better built. I guess the saying you get what you paid for goes out the window.

Sarah

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking the older stuff was much cheaper then today’s stuff and it’s better built. I guess the saying you get what you paid for goes out the window.

Hobby was just very different 20-30years ago; many of the categories of equipment folks take for granted now did not even exist then. If you adjust for inflation, prices aren't really higher than they used to be (livestock excepted). I think that quality lasts, and that there is a high correlation between quality and price. Keep in mind that for every one thing somebody posts here that is still running, 99% of those that were sold are not.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still using an old Eheim pump from the '90s. Wish I still had the old Eheim canister filter.
I don't really think things are more expensive now, adjusted for inflation. For instance, I have a Red Sea Berlin skimmer from the 90s that I know cost more than $100. The old Eheim hobby pump wasn't cheap either.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua controller 3. Still works and I keep my systems simple so only need temp control, timers and pH monitoring (which I dont really monitor pH closely) functions. No desire to splurge on a $700 system.

Also i bought a used Mag 18 in 2006. Its still running a filtwr in my mother's ornamental Pond.

Coogles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Odell 135 gallon aquarium, a custom built stand and the Amiracle wet/dry filter I'm running on it in 1988 or 89.

fishheadz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trickle filter has been running since 1988, even with revolving spray bars! Yes the spray bar holes have needed periodic cleaning, (unclogging).
I built the unit myself, (and still work with acrylic).
My Iwaki pump has been running 24/7 since 1993. Most incredible piece of equipment I have ever seen!

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have power head purchased in 1985 to run an under gravel filter. It’s now running my ato

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back