YOUR OPINION- are fish truly happy in captivity?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is how do you define happy. Low cortisol? High oxytocin? Relationships between these? Low feeding competition? Lack of social or sexual conflict or the standing of a fish in a socio sexual setting (i.e. middle ranked are often less stressed than high or low ranked individuals in a social species). Certainly the error of fish keepers not understanding mechanisms/causes of stress and aggression leads many fish to be constantly stressed in captivity (be that the aggressor or the aggresse).

The other issue is many may assume that what they would like as a fish is the same as what is ideal for a non-stressful life as the fish. Anthropomorphism leads many of us to assume how a fish is feeling, even though the majority of reef keepers are not able to tell other than when the fish is showing extreme signs of distress. And that bring up another question. What does it mean to "feel" something?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are fish truly happy in captivity?
Not truly happy but happy enough when cared for well. What is true happens anyway? They are intelligent for sure therefore they may feel happiness too but I think happiness for most animals are simpler than what you consider happiness and often short lived or limited to things like there is food or a place to hide or a nice other fisto mate with.

If you are truly worried about it you could always go with captive bred fish. They know nothing else.

I always try to buy fish very small, I feel like they adapt better overall. I have thought about this as well. They see me and they all hit the glass wanting food but that doesn't necessarily mean they are happy. Do fish get happy and experience emotion or is that just us putting human attributes on an animal to relate to it?
the approach is wrong. Not knowing better doesn’t make it right.
Imagine a chicken lives in a cage. It lives there since it was an egg. It can’t stand up because the cage is small. Is it right to put it in that cage? Is it happy? is it morally ok to put the chicken in that cage? Do I need to continue?
Aquarium is a cage and fish in it may newer new better but morally may not be right to keep them there. I am guilty as you are as I have aquariums nearly 40 years and the best I could do is look after them.
having said all of that I totally agree buy captive bread fish if possible because that is the only sustainable and environmentally friendly way to do so but not because of that is morally ok.
d&d ok GIF by Hyper RPG

When I see fish swim up to strangers that doesn't strike me as a stressed or unhappy fish. And having fish outlive their wild counterparts, in some cases 10X or 15X longer than what's documented for wild specimens, then throw in the educational and emotional benefits and I'm more than comfortable keeping reef systems.
Don’t fool yourself. We have heard this before about dolphins. Than it turned out to be false. (Politely put) Just saying most of the fish we keep have a shorter lifespan in the aquarium.
I doubt my aquarium has educational benefits too. Show off yes educational well that is debatable. I educate my children that this is a fish and this is what it does and the benefit is that they don’t tap on the glass or put a slice of bread in it ;) is it educational?
Food Vintage GIF by Archives of Ontario | Archives publiques de l'Ontario

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really though. Ignoring the ontological/existential questions of composition regarding “happiness”

why do we assume that our understanding of happiness, our experience of it, is the measuring stick that’s applicable to other life forms?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not truly happy but happy enough when cared for well. What is true happens anyway? They are intelligent for sure therefore they may feel happiness too but I think happiness for most animals are simpler than what you consider happiness and often short lived or limited to things like there is food or a place to hide or a nice other fisto mate with.

the approach is wrong. Not knowing better doesn’t make it right.
Imagine a chicken lives in a cage. It lives there since it was an egg. It can’t stand up because the cage is small. Is it right to put it in that cage? Is it happy? is it morally ok to put the chicken in that cage? Do I need to continue?
Aquarium is a cage and fish in it may newer new better but morally may not be right to keep them there. I am guilty as you are as I have aquariums nearly 40 years and the best I could do is look after them.
having said all of that I totally agree buy captive bread fish if possible because that is the only sustainable and environmentally friendly way to do so but not because of that is morally ok.
d&d ok GIF by Hyper RPG

Don’t fool yourself. We have heard this before about dolphins. Than it turned out to be false. (Politely put) Just saying most of the fish we keep have a shorter lifespan in the aquarium.
I doubt my aquarium has educational benefits too. Show off yes educational well that is debatable. I educate my children that this is a fish and this is what it does and the benefit is that they don’t tap on the glass or put a slice of bread in it ;) is it educational?
Food Vintage GIF by Archives of Ontario | Archives publiques de l'Ontario'Ontario
I understand your point but that's quite the comparison with the extreme chicken cage example, so yes continue the comparison with "free range" chickens ;) Are they happy? Or just healthier and more natural, much like a fish in an appropriate sized tank with good flow.

EDIT:
I do think "not knowing" comes into play. You may know and experience a greater happiness than my version of happiness, based off your individual life experiences differing from mine. But that does not change my individual standard for happiness based of my individual experience.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where I come out on this, but I don't kill fish that often and more live through old age than die before that. They probably would not have done that in the wild where only a select few make it to old age. I also don't take fish that I cannot keep in my tanks for their whole lives, unless I have a plan to get rid of them when it is in their best interest (for free to a large public aquarium - I never get paid since that would limit the places able to make them happy). I rarely get fish that need to be re homed and usually only as a rescue.

I don't know if they are happy, but my fish do not fight, so have to assume though all science that their needs are met since they are not aggressive even with many kinds of tangs, angelfish and other fish that can be aggressive for some people. In the end, I don't think that they are upset being in my home. I have a yellow and purple tang that I got when one of my kids was born, so who knows how old they were when I got them, but she is going to graduate high school this year. I have at least a dozen other fish that I moved here to Colorado more than a decade ago - they were various ages before we moved, of course.

I do feel that this hobby is not defendable with the people who go too fast and are posting "Emergency: Where to Buy Prime" as the gills on their fish are rotting away in the ammonia. If somebody ever saw all of this and banned the hobby, then I would understand. I don't know if my 20 year old fish are the rule or the exception.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the Beatles happiness is a warm gun and I don’t think any of my fish has had a warm gun so they must not be happy

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have often plagued myself with this question. That is one reason that going forward that I buy captive breed, not saying that is any better. Captive breed have not know anything else besides being in a tank. I often think that over time they may forget what it is like to be in the wild and adapt to tank life.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat down with my fish the other day and had a heart to heart. They said that, while things are adequate, I needed to step my game up. Ideally, they want more real estate, but they'd be happy with a full remodel and more amenities. It's worse than having a wife/gf, I tell ya.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my perspective on it:

Often, at the end of a typical day, I will sit back and reflect on all of the stress I’ve had to endure that day, on all that I’ve had to give of myself to my kids, to my wife, to my students, and to my clients, and on all of the struggles to pay bills and keep things in my life organized and taken care of.

At those times, I often wish I was a fish in a well-cared for aquarium.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The link I posted shows dwarf angels may have life expectancies in the wild as little as 1 year. I've certainly beat that in my tanks. What the average wild life expectancy across the board is and what the average captive life expectancy across the board is no one knows yet. So you're free to believe what you want with out worrying about proof contradicting you. As far as extrapolating from the records kept by zoos roughly 80% of the mammals kept live longer in captivity than in the wild and the research so far indicates we should expect the same with our fish.

Sorry to hear your tanks aren't educational. For myself, seeing the awe in the face of a person who had never been to an aquarium, zoo or the coast, the first time they saw a live starfish in one of my tanks or the fascination when I point out a pair of skunk cleaners and explain they're monogamous hermaphrodites are just two of a multitude and have certainly been rewarding and educational experineces.

More links for those interested:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...es-with-Special-Reference-to-the-Gobiidae.pdf (Includes an example of a pair living 5X longer than the maximum wild life expectancy)

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link I posted shows dwarf angels may have life expectancies in the wild as little as 1 year. I've certainly beat that in my tanks. What the average wild life expectancy across the board is and what the average captive life expectancy across the board is no one knows yet. So you're free to believe what you want with out worrying about proof contradicting you. As far as extrapolating from the records kept by zoos roughly 80% of the mammals kept live longer in captivity than in the wild and the research so far indicates we should expect the same with our fish.

Sorry to hear your tanks aren't educational. For myself, seeing the awe in the face of a person who had never been to an aquarium, zoo or the coast, the first time they saw a live starfish in one of my tanks or the fascination when I point out a pair of skunk cleaners and explain they're monogamous hermaphrodites are just two of a multitude and have certainly been rewarding and educational experineces.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...es-with-Special-Reference-to-the-Gobiidae.pdf (Includes an example of a pair living 5X longer than the maximum wild life expectancy)

Oof, I missed the ‘not educational’ bit. I wish I’d gone into marine biology so for me my tank is heavily on the educational side when it comes to inhabitants — I’m particularly interested in behavior. Then there’s the stuff we have to learn to maintain it, like water chemistry and biological filtration. And in this thread alone we’ve covered science and philosophy thanks to one Q posed by the OP.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your point but that's quite the comparison with the extreme chicken cage example, so yes continue the comparison with "free range" chickens ;) Are they happy? Or just healthier and more natural, much like a fish in an appropriate sized tank with good flow.

EDIT:
I do think "not knowing" comes into play. You may know and experience a greater happiness than my version of happiness, based off your individual life experiences differing from mine. But that does not change my individual standard for happiness based of my individual experience.
Have you read the requirements to class a chicken free range? You would be surprised. I have a funny comparison with the cows too ;)
You are right we don’t really know. Last night I have asked them but the remanded quiet so I have just carried ou with the water testing.

Zoos are educational home aquarium is fun. Unless you have stream of people learning beside your tank I wouldn’t say your tank classed as educational. Not because you and your family don’t learn from simply having it and looking after it but because it doesn’t reach outside of your doorstep.
as per life expectancy what zoos and expected aquarists achieve in terms of life span of the animals they care for is a drop in the ocean. The average is way lower than in the wild. Well done you are experienced and you had a fish or more lived longer than it would in the wild. You are the one pulling up the statistics.
Don’t forget when you bought that fish there was a 100 other in that batch died on the way to a home aquarium.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read the requirements to class a chicken free range? You would be surprised. I have a funny comparison with the cows too ;)
You are right we don’t really know. Last night I have asked them but the remanded quiet so I have just carried ou with the water testing.

Zoos are educational home aquarium is fun. Unless you have stream of people learning beside your tank I wouldn’t say your tank classed as educational. Not because you and your family don’t learn from simply having it and looking after it but because it doesn’t reach outside of your doorstep.
as per life expectancy what zoos and expected aquarists achieve in terms of life span of the animals they care for is a drop in the ocean. The average is way lower than in the wild. Well done you are experienced and you had a fish or more lived longer than it would in the wild. You are the one pulling up the statistics.
Don’t forget when you bought that fish there was a 100 other in that batch died on the way to a home aquarium.
Is homeschooling education, or is it not education because it didn’t happen with the public outside the home?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is homeschooling education, or is it not education because it didn’t happen with the public outside the home?
You are missing the my point. Home schooling is educational of course but you are not keeping a reef for home schooling are you? I am not and while my 5 years old can tell the name of most of the corals and fish in there I don’t see it more educational than having a hamster. You can guess my preference :)
Mark Kelly Education GIF by GIPHY News

Back