Your reef uses how much Calcium & Alkalnity daily and it's stocked how much?

Would you consider your tank to have a heavily, moderately or lightly stocked coral bio-load?

• Heavy Coral Load

Votes: 109 20.8%
  • Moderate Coral Load

Votes: 199 38.0%
  • Light Coral Load

Votes: 203 38.7%
  • Other

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These answers in liquid dont help much because different products have different concentrations.

My 20L is stocked pretty heavy with fast growing SPS and is consuming about half a tablespoon of dry bicarb daily and a tad less calcium chloride. For a small tank that's a fair amount.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moderately stocked in my 350 gallon display I think. Small and medium sized coral colonies. I'm going through 200 ml of alk and 200 ml of calcium chloride per day and dosing 48 ml of Magnesium per day.

Magnesium is consistantly at 1500, Calcium just tested at 525, and alk at 8.7. PH running 8.2 to 8.4.

I think my calcium is a little high because I'm also dosing trace elements from Red Sea (A, B, C, and D) Which contains calcium additive as well based on the element stating "trace elements dosed based on calcium consumption"....

Attachments

• PXL_20210503_144341092.jpg
    PXL_20210503_144341092.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 32

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question does any get any precipitatipn whilst dosing? I have just noticed a few white spots here and there and I am assuming it is it. I think it is more the way I am dosing rather than the quanities. I used to dump the enire amount of alk, then 5-10 min later the Ca and Mg.... I have since adopted test at 1600-1700h does alk over say 1hr then does the Ca and Mg the next morning...thoughts?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is extremely lightly stocked. I do have 1 large maxima clam, but I don’t believe it justifies the amount I’m dosing: 130mL per day of each solution.

I believe the coralline is the biggest consumer of the consumption.

2FBC3BAB-7265-4A9D-90CD-B988256E1FE5.jpeg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the size tank (220g) I think I'm light to mod stocked. Mostly small frags with some colonies. I does:
47 ml alk, 30 mg, 32 ca to hold at 8.3 alk, 463 ca, 1558 mg
Tank is sps and lps and a few softies

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 28

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question does any get any precipitatipn whilst dosing? I have just noticed a few white spots here and there and I am assuming it is it. I think it is more the way I am dosing rather than the quanities. I used to dump the enire amount of alk, then 5-10 min later the Ca and Mg.... I have since adopted test at 1600-1700h does alk over say 1hr then does the Ca and Mg the next morning...thoughts?
I have always been told to dose ALK and CA at different times, separated by at least 30 minutes. Take note on whether you continue to see precipitate with your new methods.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been told to dose ALK and CA at different times, separated by at least 30 minutes. Take note on whether you continue to see precipitate with your new methods.
thx aquaforest that Im using states 5 minutes but I think as you say the longer the better. I will keep trying afternoon Alk and morning ca and mg and see how we go, I have just bought a doser so once thats hooked up I will try horly small doses on alternate hours..cheers

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 display with approx 30 gallons in the sump. 6 in Deep sandbed

First starting out, CA and MG stayed very stable due to the deep sand bed. Now CA does tend to drop out weekly without dosing. KH is the biggest challenge for me and demands change based on frequency of WC.

1. How many milliliters of Calcium and Alkalinity are you dosing per day? CA- 25ml, KH 35-40 ml, MG requires very infrequent dosing for me so its a lot easier to manage.

2. Would you consider your tank to have a heavily, moderately or lightly stocked coral bio-load? Moderate, getting close to heavy

3. What types of corals dominate your reef tank? SPS, LPS, Soft etc? mixed SPS 50%, LPS 20%, Soft 30%

Im starting to see KH drop a lot more than expected each day making PH go up due to dosing. Been meaning to put a post in with Farley to ask more about it! His mineral water suggestion to lower PH has been a lifesaver.

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the RS doser and dose via the timer every 4 hrs for alk and ca. So 2 hrs apart. I still see precip. so not sure why. Even my other tank does this and I usually dose once a week, days apart as 1 coral 1 fish. I've given up trying to not have the alk turn to "snow" when I dose

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo the alk dose turning to snow isn’t too big a deal unless it’s settling out in your tank somewhere. It should dissolve back into the aquarium water fairly quickly

It’s best to dose into the stream of a power head, and have the surface of the water moving to keep any films on the surface away and really mix the dose into the aquarium water and keep it all oxygenated.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallons of water. heavy sps. daily dose is 140ml of each, BRS 2 part (calcium/soda ash)

water changes rarely
Start doing kalk and add 2 part saves a lot of money haha . I have a nano 20 gallon dosing 60 ml of alkalinity. Got kalkwasser keeping calcium up and helps alk. Crazy how much for my little tank haha

Back