Your reefing “Duh” moment of the day

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shouldn't the heater stay submerged during a AIO waterchange? are you taking water out from the back compartments?
I should push the heater down so it stays submerged during my water changes. Currently it's near the top of the compartment. I haven't looked at the back compartments once the water has been drained but the design leads me to believe the level goes up and down the same amount as the display area. For some reason the design has a drain grill at the top and bottom of the tank and it's the bottom grill that causes the sump area to drop the same amount as the display. I'm sure there is a reason for this design but I don't understand it. At any pushing the heater down would alleviate future "duh" moments. LOL

Kai K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some wifi smart plugs installed on some of the aquarium appliances and placed them in a google home group that I named "aquarium". So now, for example if I want to do a large water change, I yell out "Hey google, turn aquarium off". The rollermatt, rodi top off, skimmer, heater and inkbird and refugium light switch off. I thought I was a genius doing this, being able to comfortably drain and clean out my sump without having to worry about any pumps or heaters running dry.

Guess what one of my daughters asked to the google nest to do the other day... doh!

psycomnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG ive left RO running so many times i cant remember, wet floors and had to use shop vac to clean up....i need an inexpensive water alarm... any suggestions?

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about like but they work for sure as I don’t have much to compare against. I got a Govee 3 pack for $49 loud and sends alerts. I should buy more for other parts of the house but I have dumb non wifi loud ones under the sinks and by the washer.

OMG ive left RO running so many times i cant remember, wet floors and had to use shop vac to clean up....i need an inexpensive water alarm... any suggestions?
See above on a relatively inexpensive option posted earlier. I have no experience with this one. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today’s “Duh” moment…let’s change the filter sock…this time without having a bucket or towels handy

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duh moment today..... Actually I caught it today. Decided to put some water in my qt tank(no fish thank God)... added a titanium heater to it... forgot to put the temperature probe controller in with it... Current temp, 135 F.

Think i need to switch to the old glass thermometers for my qt needs.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duh moment today..... Actually I caught it today. Decided to put some water in my qt tank(no fish thank God)... added a titanium heater to it... forgot to put the temperature probe controller in with it... Current temp, 135 F.

Dang. Just turned it into a hot tub is all. I have a back up digital probe and a old glass one as a second back up for my main tank

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sure you could keep the fish that live near volcano vents! Lol

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those heaters really should not default to full on with no controller. That seems like an odd design.
It’s just business…default the heaters to on…Nuke the tank…not only do you need to get a new heater, but also gotta buy new livestock and possibly a temperature controller. It keeping businesses afloat! Why would you want to kill jobs? (Sarcasm)

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can officially join the RO overflow crowd. My RO storage bin isn’t up and running yet so I’ve been filling gallon jugs with RO water. Here I am reading R2R and not paying attention to my jugs and the first is just sitting there overflowing onto the floor. Thankfully it’s in the basement with cement floors

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can officially join the RO overflow crowd. My RO storage bin isn’t up and running yet so I’ve been filling gallon jugs with RO water. Here I am reading R2R and not paying attention to my jugs and the first is just sitting there overflowing onto the floor. Thankfully it’s in the basement with cement floors
Lol, this is specifically why I have my rodi filling up 2 feet from a floor drain

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel lucky that my tank is small enough I'm still running my RO/DI in my bathtub into 5 gallon buckets.

Good thing too as the seal on my osmosis membrane canister leaks and sprays water at the shower wall the whole time...

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AI prime wasn't plugged in all the way so everytime I moved the wire it would turn on, but if I touched it slightly it would turn off

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digging this up from the dead:

My “Duh” moment for tonight…I realized I don’t need another Apex.

Back Story: So as some may or may not know, I am ever so slowly, and by that I mean molasses looks like a bullet train, slowly, working on getting my wife an anemone tank. Well I have an Apex on my current tank and was thinking if I can find another used one cheap, great! So I’ve browsed the sales, the classifieds, and I’m looking $300/$400 plus depending on what comes with it.

Tonight I was just thinking, what do I use my Apex for? Got to looking through the fusion dashboard…let’s see:

ATO (okay that can run separately if needed)
Return pump - always on
Skimmer - always on
Moonlights - always on
Wav - always on at 50% speed
Heaters - always on/temp based
Halides - timer
Actinics - timer
PH monitor

Okay so main take always: Apex is a power strip (with timers if needed) with a ph monitor and built-in temp controller. That’s literally all I use my Apex for. Yes I know it can do more, I’m just too cheap to buy the added components.

So tonight’s realization, I don’t need another pricey Neptune product. I need a wifi power strip, a ph controller and a temp controller. That’s maybe $150/$200 new?

So yea, I just saved my self $150+ by realizing what I actually do with what I have

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My “Duh” moment is changing my aquascape again...
I hate myself every time I do it, but because I didn't do it right the very first time, I'm changing my scape EVERY 3-4 weeks. Yes, I know this is probably bad. I just changed my scape again today, but I can't help it. Hopes for this scape.

When I upgrade (or if), I'm planning to go with the BRS HNSA method and do it right.

Back