Your reefing “Duh” moment of the day

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few days, I’ve had at least one “duh” moment when working on my tank. So I figured I’d post mine and give you the opportunity to share yours if you wanted.

Tuesday’s “Duh” Moment: You need a filter sock to actually catch free floating particles headed to the sump
Wednesday’s “Duh” Moment: Let’s place a power strip on top of the skimmer…when you’re working on tuning said skimmer to keep it from overflowing
Today’s “Duh” moment: For your ATO to work, it should actually be plugged in

Well that’s all for right now. Let’s hear some of yours

Edit: Please note this thread is to have some fun poking fun at yourself. It’s not a bash thread

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duh moment is everytime I look at a Live Sales expecting to see 3 to 5 polyp zoas up for auction but only see 1 polyps

Who knew 5 polyp zoas are now considered Mother Colonies

Laughing Out Loud GIF by memecandy

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I can totally relate! Looking at some of the for sale threads even! They’re like here’s the “mother colony” and cut to order frag. Like dude, I can still see the frag plug on the “mother colony” that is far from a colony yet lol

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only took me 3 tries with the Hanna phosphate checker this morning. Attention just kept slipping away.
That’s my duh moment. Actually use all your energy to lift your eyes and read the results after 3 minutes

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have Hannah checkers so I can’t relate on that one
Apparently mine just keep coming…at some point something happened overnight to cause my skimmer to go crazy and come to a sump full of bubbles with it overflowing onto the stand…thankfully I was checking my filter sock and noticed it. Before it became a true issue

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is my waste water container not emptying? I can hear the pump humming. Maybe the pump impeller is stuck. (Take apart the pump.) Nope, the impeller is fine. What the heck?! Is there a blockage in the plumbing? I really don't have time for this today!.........Duh! I forgot to open the ball valve! Idiot!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have two?
I was doing a water change on my 6g today. I have like 13 fish in there, so you can imagine how small they are. Well, I counted the fish and had my three black bellied (I thought) and dumped the dirty water out. I went through it and found two little snails and that was it. My shrimp having been saved earlier.
So, I finished dumping, saw nothing, went upstairs and got totally side tracked. I do this a lot. "Squirrel"
Anyway, I then went back down remembering I wanted to triple check as most of the critters are tiny, and low and behold I guess a black bellied goby did get through my checks (maybe that means I had 4). Poor guy was in the sink, but not dry, so I quickly put him in tank water and did my own version of reviving him for a good 10 minutes. Now he sits with an airstone in the tank water.
I just know he will pull through this. I will feel terrible otherwise. Goodness, those little tanks with tiny critters can be so difficult to clean and not lose something.

This is my traveling tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine: "Why isn't this thing working!?" Looks at equipment despairingly...then realizes it isn't plugged in. ;Facepalm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
70% of the time, that Dog Gone RO unit is running over while my feet are propped up and im watching a TV show !!

1626485800049.png

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t experienced that yet but I’m just getting my RO unit set up

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t experienced that yet but I’m just getting my RO unit set up
Get an RO Flood Guardian by XPAqua... Spend $60 now or $6000 later doing flood repair. Yep.... That was my duh moment.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duh moment was that for three days in a row I forgot to unplug a submersible heater while doing a water change. Thankfully it wasn't emerged that long and I think it has a safety shutoff for "duh" moments just like this!! Having said that I'm new to AIOs and the heater is well hidden in the back chamber so I keep forgetting it's there (or so I tell myself to make me feel less duhsy)!! :)

Dania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok freshwater rather than salt but I ended up getting 5 Julii cory catfish and a bloodfin tetra rather than the 6 catfish I wanted. More amused than annoyed but he's going back Sunday and getting another Julii cat.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok freshwater rather than salt but I ended up getting 5 Julii cory catfish and a bloodfin tetra rather than the 6 catfish I wanted. More amused than annoyed but he's going back Sunday and getting another Julii cat.
But blood fins are pretty. Not sure how they got a Cory out of that but hey lol

Back