• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“perception of reality”

Perception acts as a lens through which we view reality. Our perceptions influence how we focus on, process, remember, interpret, understand, synthesize, decide about, and act on reality. In doing so, our tendency is to assume that how we perceive reality is an accurate representation of what reality truly is.

It’s widely understood that this hobby doesn’t have a finish line, our tanks are always a work in progress. It’s all about the journey, not the destination. However, we long for that beautiful over grown tank with lots of colorful corals and fish that complement the décor of our home. But, more times than not, our perception doesn’t necessarily align with reality. Instead of having that living piece of furniture in our house, it more closely resembles a mad scientist’s lab.

1. What’s your perception of reality when it comes to your reef tank?

2. Have you set high standards for how you perceive your reef tank to be in the future? What are they?

Perception?
frs_september_14.jpg

Reality?
photoMess.jpg

Thank you Jimmy @Sisterlimonpot for today's QOTD topic!

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a spouse or partner that doesn’t share in the hobby then to THEM it’s an eyesore regardless of what you perceive. That said, if the reef complements the room it’s in to the degree that casual observers are enthralled with it you can rest assured that it is Not an eyesore.
Unfortunately I’ve seen to many examples of the second picture you posted as an example and that exemplifies exactly why some spouses could care less about the hobby to the point of straight forward hostility towards it. After I took care of making mama happy with the outside it made it much easier for me to enjoy the intricacies that we reefers enjoy.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta tell you this is one of my favourite posts ever, at least the photo comparison part. Both myself and my wife were laughing at the photos. I would like to think I am 60-70% to the perception and only 30-40% reality - although my fish room is much closer to reality these days.

While it's pretty similar to finished I would like to see full added to the list. My main display is basically full but it's not finished. I'm actually trying to figure out where a new centerpiece can go as I type this, and that coral is patiently waiting in a full frag tank...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I look at my tank in a micro mode I not happy. I see so many flaws. If I take a macro look my tank is amazing to me.

I'm happy with it and thinking of adding a frag system as an above tank system.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perception/reality is I can always make it better. I hope to never feel that all I have left to do is maintain. I would get bored.

I am lucky enough to have a spouse that enjoys watching it and the results of spending money and time. Me, I enjoy the process.

I have had mine up for 6 months. Happy with the results so far. But lucky enough to have her tell me " let's go bigger".

This is huge in regards to working to an end result.

And a little luck come in handy, will be starting a thread for the recently purchase 120 gal FULL combo READY TO GO! for less than a $1000.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
If I didn’t check off the boxes that I did why would I own a reef. It’s a beautiful, sleek centrepiece in my home that will never be finished. People who visit seem to say the same thing.

Twotone24v

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfinished. Less than 6 months old and every time I open the cabinet I am reminded that I need to get some cable management on this thing! Otherwise the inside of the tank is coming along nicely!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input so far! My tank is somewhere in between! :p

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is on year 3. It has come along slowly, there always seems to be something expensive I need to buy. I percieve it currently as dirty and unfinished. Visitors seem to think it looks great, which is good I guess. I have a lot of coral incoming and a lot of hair algae to remove. In another 2-3 years, it should start looking amazing.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What’s your perception of reality when it comes to your reef tank?

Definitely see my tank as unfinished, but "on the right track." Most of what I need is time for corals to grow from frags to colonies, and money to grow the collection to what I want.

2. Have you set high standards for how you perceive your reef tank to be in the future? What are they?

For this system my standards include grown out colonies that cover most of the rockwork and a coordinated and interesting livestock plan. I think my corals are on the right track, but I'm still not very happy with my fish stocking, and hope to correct this as I go.

On a side note- I want a bigger system in the future, but am limited in size by my current home. Most of my long term goals will be accomplished in a 200 gallon + system to be installed in a home I haven't yet bought or even seen. Lol.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a Centerpiece but is is and always will be a work in progress.

Getting ready to add a Neptune Apex, 2 cor15s and redo some plumbing too.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back