Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am DIYing a BBU like the idea from this 7 min (you should watch it--short) Youtube video: . I want some kind of inexpensive meter/device to tell me if the car battery is charged or not. Would I want to read volts, amps, watts? Please help, I'm an electrical dummy.

Volts.
Also make sure to add fuses close to the battery terminals if you are doing this.
And, don't cross the streams.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some cases, a simple voltage measurement work. You have to see the pattern of voltage drop as the battery drains. If its somewhat linear, you are good. Else you have to rely on internal resistance and to measure that you'll need an appropriate load and measure its current instead

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the Centech power supply in the video has a USB port, could I keep something with low power consumption plugged into it where the trickle charger could keep up with battery discharge. Something like a tablet?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you can't measure if a lead acid battery is good or not with a simple volt/amp/watt test. A dead lead acid battery will still read 12 volts unless it is like really dead, dead.
There is a load test for testing them, but they are not cheap.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you can't measure if a lead acid battery is good or not with a simple volt/amp/watt test. A dead lead acid battery will still read 12 volts unless it is like really dead, dead.
There is a load test for testing them, but they are not cheap.
So if I know how much juice my trickle charger can charge and it keeps up with the amount of "juice" that my tablet uses, I'm good?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I leave that hooked up to the battery all the time?
Definitely not.

The problem is that to find out if a led acid battery is good, you need to discharge it at a high rate. Otherwise, as Paul B said, it could be on a trickle charge or slight discharge for a months and look to be working just fine. Then you put a load on it and it dies in minutes.

Unfortunately, there has not been a continuous battery health monitoring system developed yet.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to read volts. Amps would tell you your usage but volts will tell you what is left. Also, if you are using a wet cell battery, they should NEVER be discharged to less than 65% of capacity. Use deep cycle batteries as opposed to starting batteries which have cranking amps but less overall capacity to store. And remember, wet cell batteries produce an explosive gas when charging but not when discharging. So, the bottom line answer, install a voltmeter (that you can just turn on momentarily) and read the charged voltage. Multiply that time 0.65 and try to stay above that number at all times.

FYI ... you can get "smart" battery chargers that will knock the sulphates off the plates from time to time. Used properly, they will extend the battery life almost indefinitely. Lastly, keep an eye on your water levels and use distilled water only.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from load testers unless you are suspicious that the batter is damaged or past it's use by date. As they name suggests, they place a significant load on a battery to give you a reading.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different kinds of sealed batteries. Gel and wet cell but unless it is an AGM battery both are still really wet cell. unless you have a serious concern about ventilation, I'd stick to plain old deep cycle wet cell batteries that you can open and check the electrolyte on. As to ventilation, I have 5 deep cycle batteries in the midship hold of my boat with minimal ventilation and I am not concerned about the off gassing. I had 24 in my previous boat and still wasn't concerned about the gas but I did put my ventilation on if I was hitting them hard with a maintenance charge.

Haven't seen any discussion on wiring but keep in mind that you should minimize the distance from the batteries to your inverter as low volts (like 12) means lots of amps when there is a call for power. Don't be using light gauge wire between batteries and inverter.

Also, keep a maintenance charger on the batteries at all times and never store the batteries on concrete.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for electrical stuff. My husband added a dedicated circuit to our home circuit breaker box. It has 8 outlets at the basement sump, 3 lights in the fish-room, and 2 outlets for my QT. Can more outlets be added? or can I add a DJ switch/plug bar to manage my sump equipment?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for electrical stuff. My husband added a dedicated circuit to our home circuit breaker box. It has 8 outlets at the basement sump, 3 lights in the fish-room, and 2 outlets for my QT. Can more outlets be added? or can I add a DJ switch/plug bar to manage my sump equipment?
This is a tough question to answer. The NEC (National Electric Code) does not specify a maximum number of circuits for a feeder breaker. A good rule of thumb is that each outlet counts as 1.5A and that you can load a breaker up to 80%.
If he installed a 15A breaker that would limit you to 12A (80% of 15) or 8 receptacles. With a 20A breaker you can install 10 receptacles. Based on this, you already have more than is recommended. This thumb rule is also adopted as local electrical code in some areas. The only way to know that would be to call your local inspector or a knowledgeable local residential electrician.

Adding a DJ switch or plug bar is always a good option.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough question to answer. The NEC (National Electric Code) does not specify a maximum number of circuits for a feeder breaker. A good rule of thumb is that each outlet counts as 1.5A and that you can load a breaker up to 80%.
If he installed a 15A breaker that would limit you to 12A (80% of 15) or 8 receptacles. With a 20A breaker you can install 10 receptacles. Based on this, you already have more than is recommended. This thumb rule is also adopted as local electrical code in some areas. The only way to know that would be to call your local inspector or a knowledgeable local residential electrician.

It doesn't? That's weird. Limit in Canada is 12.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the thoughtful answer.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't? That's weird. Limit in Canada is 12.
Yup, it does seem odd. There are some other rules you need to apply when it comes to receptacles but nothing limiting the number in a branch. I think that is why many areas have adopted more stringent number requirements as part of their local building codes.
Thank you for your help. I appreciate the thoughtful answer.
Glad to help, just wish I could give you a more definitive answer!

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, it does seem odd. There are some other rules you need to apply when it comes to receptacles but nothing limiting the number in a branch. I think that is why many areas have adopted more stringent number requirements as part of their local building codes.

Glad to help, just wish I could give you a more definitive answer!
I like the 12 device limit, however, now that LED lights are about it kind of sucks that they count against that number still... For instance, adding 12 LED pot lights counts as one cct, even though the amp draw is going to be 1 amp. :/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back