Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for electrical stuff. My husband added a dedicated circuit to our home circuit breaker box. It has 8 outlets at the basement sump, 3 lights in the fish-room, and 2 outlets for my QT. Can more outlets be added? or can I add a DJ switch/plug bar to manage my sump equipment?
Also I just read the sump part, sump needs it's own cct.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe she is referring to the aquarium sump area, not the basement sump.
Either way.

^^^Disregard that, I'm leaving it to show my lack of mental clarity at the moment.

Last edited:

Daza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
Does anybody know how to wire up this Omron H3Y-2 timer.
I want to use it to delay my skimmer from turning on after a power cut.
I want to set it to turn the power on after a 30 minute duration, after this time the levels in my sump should be back to normal.
Thanks,
Darren.

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

IMG_4319.JPG

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you want the skimmer to turn on 30 min after power is restored (Not Cut)

I drew the 120vac version, same thing for 240vac

upload_2017-9-18_16-14-27.png

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't news to many here, but I was gonna add that it's the amps your equipment pulls that counts a lot more-so than the number of outlets. (That's a design concern.)

During the Metal Halide Years™ I had my breaker fully loaded by a single receptacle – be aware of the load you're putting on the circuit as well as the breaker capactiy. Get a Kill A Watt meter!!!

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for electrical stuff. My husband added a dedicated circuit to our home circuit breaker box. It has 8 outlets at the basement sump, 3 lights in the fish-room, and 2 outlets for my QT. Can more outlets be added? or can I add a DJ switch/plug bar to manage my sump equipment?
So that's 13 receptacles. The rule of thumb is that you count each duplex receptacle, for design purposes, at 180 VA (volt-amps) which is 1.5A (180VA / 120V = 1.5A) hence the reference to that value in the post below...
This is a tough question to answer. The NEC (National Electric Code) does not specify a maximum number of circuits for a feeder breaker. A good rule of thumb is that each outlet counts as 1.5A and that you can load a breaker up to 80%.
If he installed a 15A breaker that would limit you to 12A (80% of 15) or 8 receptacles. With a 20A breaker you can install 10 receptacles. Based on this, you already have more than is recommended. This thumb rule is also adopted as local electrical code in some areas. The only way to know that would be to call your local inspector or a knowledgeable local residential electrician.
...which is good advice. I actually hold to 8 duplex receptacles per circuit, because you know in the future someone is going to want to add one somewhere, this allows for flexibility.

There actually is a code answer to this however:
https://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsar...-Answers-Based-on-the-2005-NEC-I~20050223.php

Q2 What is the maximum number of 15 or 20A, 125V receptacle and lighting outlets permitted on a 15A, 120V general-purpose branch circuit in a dwelling unit?

A2 The NEC doesn't limit the number of receptacle and lighting outlets on a general-purpose branch circuit in a dwelling unit. See the NFPA's NEC Handbook for more information.

Although there's no limit on the number of lighting and/or receptacle outlets on dwelling general-purpose branch circuits, the NEC does require a minimum number of circuits to be installed for general-purpose receptacles and lighting outlets [210.11(A)]. In addition, the receptacle and lighting loads must be evenly distributed among the required circuits [210.11(B)].

Caution: Not likely, but there might be a local electrical requirement that limits the number of receptacles and lighting outlets on a general-purpose branch circuit.

Hint: google any electrical question and preface it with "NEC" then look for answer on the Mike Holt forum or ecmweb.com, and you're good.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hint: google any electrical question and preface it with "NEC" then look for answer on the Mike Holt forum or ecmweb.com, and you're good.
Great advice!

Or, you can just keep a copy of the most current NEC at your desk. ;)

IMG_0751.JPG

Not sure where my 2011 version is... I like the ability to see how the code has changed over the years.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also view it for free online through the NFPA website, and see previous versions as well.

Last time I looked they wanted an arm and a leg to see the official code....best I could find were some local or regional codes.

Any special link required or anything?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to register (free) and then there are links all over the place for "free access". You have to go page-by-page and can't print, but you can see everything.

It's a bit buried, but you can find it by continually clicking the links for what you're looking for, from the main page > NEC > free online access link > NFPA 70 > Free Access button > drope down to select edition > click "select edition"

http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stand...ds/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice!

Or, you can just keep a copy of the most current NEC at your desk. ;)

IMG_0751.JPG

Not sure where my 2011 version is... I like the ability to see how the code has changed over the years.

I just threw all of that out. :p
Now at my age I only work in my house and I do what I want and design what I want. If I blow up the place, I had one heck of a run so it doesn't matter. A lot of the stuff I do (in my own home) is hardly legal but legality is for people working in other people's homes. After all this time being an electrician I know what is safe and how to electrocute myself or blow up the neighborhood. :eek:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just threw all of that out. :p
Now at my age I only work in my house and I do what I want and design what I want. If I blow up the place, I had one heck of a run so it doesn't matter. A lot of the stuff I do (in my own home) is hardly legal but legality is for people working in other people's homes. After all this time being an electrician I know what is safe and how to electrocute myself or blow up the neighborhood. :eek:
A real man!

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since this thread has a resident electrician. how does one work on a 24V lighting system and where does one fine replacement squareD parts. i have some lights that are stuck on and others that wont turn on even with a new bulb, and the wiring on the electrical switches is wack. and since its under 30v i dont technically need to open the breaker since it cant kill me but still...

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since this thread has a resident electrician. how does one work on a 24V lighting system and where does one fine replacement squareD parts. i have some lights that are stuck on and others that wont turn on even with a new bulb, and the wiring on the electrical switches is wack. and since its under 30v i dont technically need to open the breaker since it cant kill me but still...
sorry bud, way to broad of a question.
You should google, local electrical supply stores, and go from there.
You might have a burnt relay or fused contacts if lights are staying stuck on and off, you really have to have someone look at it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is better to say that a 24V lighting system is unlikely to kill you. It's hard to believe, but at least one person found a way to kill themselves with a 9V battery. It can be done. It is always best to turn things off to work on them.

To help answer your question I would need more information such as a part or model number.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back