Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new. Had it installed for the tank and it wasn't used until I set the tank up about a month ago. Installed maybe 6 months ago

Humm.... is it a dedicated circuit? Kind of grasping at straws here, you have a unique problem

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm.... is it a dedicated circuit? Kind of grasping at straws here, you have a unique problem
No it's not. The toaster and microwave are on the same circuit. And we have found that when we run those 2 together it trips the circuit (not the outlet one, the breaker box one) but if theyre not running all should be fine right..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a ground probe installed?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick a finger in your tank and touch a screw on your light fixture with the other hand.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have something failed in your tank. You just don't have a continuous path to ground. Once you get a path to ground it will trip.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it just tripped again. After maybe 20 minutes of everything being on
The other possibility is that it needs to come up to a higher temperature so the expansion can allow electrical tracking through the water.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice anything happening around the time it tripped? ATO kicked On maybe (if you turned it back on)?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what can I do :(
Get a ground probe! :p

They are invaluable for times like this.

I would put the Powerbar back on a non GFCI outlet and plug each item into the GFCI outlet (or extension cord run to it) and let each item run for 1/2 hour or so. Start with the heaters.

And really, you can touch the tank and a light fixture. The GFCI will prevent a serious shock, and even if the GFCI would fail it might hurt a little but is very unlikely to cause any serious harm unless you have a heart condition.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice anything happening around the time it tripped? ATO kicked On maybe (if you turned it back on)?
Ato did not kick on. Both heaters were set to constant on so there was nothing that could have just kicked on

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a ground probe! [emoji14]

They are invaluable for times like this.

I would put the Powerbar back on a non GFCI outlet and plug each item into the GFCI outlet (or extension cord run to it) and let each item run for 1/2 hour or so. Start with the heaters.

And really, you can touch the tank and a light fixture. The GFCI will prevent a serious shock, and even if the GFCI would fail it might hurt a little but is very unlikely to cause any serious harm unless you have a heart condition.
What exactly would a ground probe do in a situation like this? Keep it from tripping? If i have something thats failed isnt it still bad with a ground probe lol
Sorry to sound like a noob i just know nothing about all this electrical stuff

I think im gonna pass on touching the metal with my hand in the tank the thought of that scares me lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly would a ground probe do in a situation like this? Keep it from tripping? If i have something thats failed isnt it still bad with a ground probe lol
Sorry to sound like a noob i just know nothing about all this electrical stuff
A GFCI trips when the current on the hot prong doesn't match the current in the neutral prong. Normally, the path the "missing" current takes is through ground.

Our aquariums are glass or acrylic boxes which act as insulators. Even if you have 120VAC in the saltwater the GFCI may not trip because there isn't a path for current to flow to ground. Then, when we put our hand in the tank, get salt creep, or even some splashing, we get that ground path and the GFCI trips. The ground probe provides a constant path to ground so that the GFCI will trip immediately on a failure.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A GFCI trips when the current on the hot prong doesn't match the current in the neutral prong. Normally, the path the "missing" current takes is through ground.

Our aquariums are glass or acrylic boxes which act as insulators. Even if you have 120VAC in the saltwater the GFCI may not trip because there isn't a path for current to flow to ground. Then, when we put our hand in the tank, get salt creep, or even some splashing, we get that ground path and the GFCI trips. The ground probe provides a constant path to ground so that the GFCI will trip immediately on a failure.
Ok so if im understanding correctly. I'm unable to figure out what's faulty since i dont have a ground probe. That's why u say to leave each item plugged in for half hour or so and hope thats enough time to cause it to trip?
With the ground probe it would trip as soon as a faulty item was plugged in?

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other piece of info. The first time this happened I woke up to it being tripped and the ato resivouir completely dry. Could running that pump dry have caused it to be my problem? Its a tunze ato

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back