Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to decide if i need a dedicated circuit for my tank? the outlet near the tank that i was going to use(before i saw this thread..lol) has about 6 outlets/4 ceiling lights on it. it is a 15amp circuit with 12-2 wiring. the circuit runs in the den so there is the normal audio video load. tank is 120gallon with dc pumps and t5 lighting also running a chiller. am i over thinking it?

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on what the other outlets are used for. If your even thinking about it tells me you should run a new line for just the tank. Better safe than sorry

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to decide if i need a dedicated circuit for my tank? the outlet near the tank that i was going to use(before i saw this thread..lol) has about 6 outlets/4 ceiling lights on it. it is a 15amp circuit with 12-2 wiring. the circuit runs in the den so there is the normal audio video load. tank is 120gallon with dc pumps and t5 lighting also running a chiller. am i over thinking it?
I agree with running a new dedicated line but it may not be necessary.

You can do some quick math to see where you are at. 15 amps is 1800 watts. Start at 1800 and subtract the power rating in watts of the light fixture and heaters (unless your chiller uses more power than your heaters). Take out another 150 watts for your return pump and power heads. If you have less than 800 watts left after doing that it is best to run a new circuit.

Or if it is an outlet you run a vacuum cleaner off of in that room a new circuit is a must.

JRA8688

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with running a new dedicated line but it may not be necessary.

You can do some quick math to see where you are at. 15 amps is 1800 watts. Start at 1800 and subtract the power rating in watts of the light fixture and heaters (unless your chiller uses more power than your heaters). Take out another 150 watts for your return pump and power heads. If you have less than 800 watts left after doing that it is best to run a new circuit.

Or if it is an outlet you run a vacuum cleaner off of in that room a new circuit is a must.
+1 on the vacuum comment!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea.. a vacuum is definitely used on that circuit. so i should ask for one outlet with 12-2 ran to panel with one 15a gfci breaker? or would a wall gfci be better?
At a minimum I would have them run a circuit to a 2 gang outlet and maybe even a 4 gang outlet. I would install separate GFCI receptacles (not daisy chained) so a loss of one piece of equipment doesn't take out your entire tank.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go 20 Amp if you're going to run 12-2 anyways. Then use 20A rated receptacles.

I don't know about the 80% trip comment though, that would mean a 20A breaker is going to trip at 16A. Breakers don't trip based on reaching a precise value, meaning you can shoot past 20A for a short period of time and not trip or you can run at just below 20A for a longer period of time and it will eventually trip, depends on the breaker curve

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go 20 Amp if you're going to run 12-2 anyways. Then use 20A rated receptacles.

I don't know about the 80% trip comment though, that would mean a 20A breaker is going to trip at 16A. Breakers don't trip based on reaching a precise value, meaning you can shoot past 20A for a short period of time and not trip or you can run at just below 20A for a longer period of time and it will eventually trip, depends on the breaker curve
All breakers are designed to trip at 80 percent.

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All breakers are designed to trip at 80 percent.
Excuse me not all are but thats all i have seen in the local stores. Unless i specifically ask for a 100 percent rated breaker from an electrical supplier.

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCN3630.jpg
DSCN3629.jpg
DSCN3627.jpg
DSCN3628.jpg
DSCN3631.jpg

Maaaan....I LOVE those OMRON timer/relays.
Expensive suckers, but, oh, so versatile.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to keep this question short, but I may not succeed :)

I recently had two power outages which I was unprepared for. I heated tank water on my gas stove and manually stirred my tank with a big serving spoon. I am now very motivated to get a generator.

I recently moved. In my old house, I installed a mechanical transfer switch in my electrical panel. The panel was in my garage and I was able to install a plug for a generator that was right next to the panel. I loved the solution because I could power any circuit in the house on or off (which meant my tank was protected). The logistics were pretty easy b/c I ran the generator in my driveway, which was 3' from my electrical panel.

In my new house, my panel is in a utility room that is 60 feet from where I want to place my generator. So my questions are:
1) Can I run a generator line 60-70 feet into a receptacle that is on a transfer switch?
2) Is there a good solution for how to get the generator power through a wall?

Here is a diagram that hopefully helps illustrates my questions:

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 5.06.13 PM.png

Note that it would be too expensive to run a permanent line behind the walls from the panel to a location where I intend to run the generator.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the gen. is in front of garage? put your receptacle there and hardwire your trans. switch,

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recently had two power outages which I was unprepared for. I heated tank water on my gas stove and manually stirred my tank with a big serving spoon. I am now very motivated to get a generator.

I recently moved. In my old house, I installed a mechanical transfer switch in my electrical panel. The panel was in my garage and I was able to install a plug for a generator that was right next to the panel. I loved the solution because I could power any circuit in the house on or off (which meant my tank was protected). The logistics were pretty easy b/c I ran the generator in my driveway, which was 3' from my electrical panel.

In my new house, my panel is in a utility room that is 60 feet from where I want to place my generator. So my questions are:
1) Can I run a generator line 60-70 feet into a receptacle that is on a transfer switch?

Note that it would be too expensive to run a permanent line behind the walls from the panel to a location where I intend to run the generator.
Yes, you can. Just make sure you use properly rated cable.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What else is in the area where the generator will go.. By any chance a close laundry room HVAC .
Reason i ask.. You can feed your Generator (THOU NOT BEST PRACTICE BUT SAFE WITH CAUTION ) Thru say a Exterior ac unit... a Electric Range ... If they have a wire large enough and proper breaker in your panel.... It Really depends output of the generator what you want it to run...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in the area where the generator will go.. By any chance a close laundry room HVAC .
Reason i ask.. You can feed your Generator (THOU NOT BEST PRACTICE BUT SAFE WITH CAUTION ) Thru say a Exterior ac unit... a Electric Range ... If they have a wire large enough and proper breaker in your panel.... It Really depends output of the generator what you want it to run...
I normally recommend against this. Not that it can't work, but if you don't open the main breaker to your panel it can be very dangerous. Not only can you backfeed the service transformer but if power comes back while your generator is running it can damage the generator. It can even explode violently.

So yes, it will work. Yes, I do something similar. Just make absolutely sure that you isolate the main feed from the utility to your house prior to connecting the generator.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally recommend against this. Not that it can't work, but if you don't open the main breaker to your panel it can be very dangerous. Not only can you backfeed the service transformer but if power comes back while your generator is running it can damage the generator. It can even explode violently.

So yes, it will work. Yes, I do something similar. Just make absolutely sure that you isolate the main feed from the utility to your house prior to connecting the generator.

Exactly.. That is my WITH CAUTION.. I think a main lock out device should be used as well as a Very Great understanding of what you are doing..
Was just stating there is a possible way..... WITH CAUTION....

thanks

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The mechanical transfer switch ensures that panel is fed by the generator or the grid, but not BOTH at the same time.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the gen. is in front of garage? put your receptacle there and hardwire your trans. switch,
No, the generator will be in the back of my house. It has to be 60-70 feet from the panel (you have to trust me on this).

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was simplifying that mount the receptacle where you want to and run a permanent approved cable tru basement or crawl and hardwire to the transfer switch. You really don't want a plug and receptacle connection there,
It will get hot and Inexpensive plugs/receptacles will breakdown and become fire hazards, Also Plug and socket connections are considered " Portable" and would require a more costly cable. Best would be to talk to a knowledgeable person at lowes or HD and they will help with your purchase and local requirements. Good luck and FWIW I recommend this style setup for portable hook ups (old school) 30+ years in the trade

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Question: I am trying to find the best way to connect the ground wires from float sensors and water sensors to my Break Out Box single ground port.

I purchased the below; please help me know which is safest/best, or neither

20180317_153413.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back