Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

Alex Rademaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but I would hate to fry my equipment. So I was happy to be adding a new uv sterilizer to my tank, and I got it all set up and realized I don't have enough plugs available to power it (dumb I know)... I'm currently running 2 power strips that have 4 ports on a timer and 4 ports that are always on. I will need at least 2 more ports, and maybe more if I ever get something else. I'm running lights that require at least 2 different timers for sunrise sunset feature. I was wondering if I got like 2 huge (12plug) surge protectors, could I have multiple individual timers plugged in without affecting the devices?i feel like it should be ok, but would hate to burn out 2 grand in equipment.
Thanks so much for any insights,
Alex, in orlando

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but I would hate to fry my equipment. So I was happy to be adding a new uv sterilizer to my tank, and I got it all set up and realized I don't have enough plugs available to power it (dumb I know)... I'm currently running 2 power strips that have 4 ports on a timer and 4 ports that are always on. I will need at least 2 more ports, and maybe more if I ever get something else. I'm running lights that require at least 2 different timers for sunrise sunset feature. I was wondering if I got like 2 huge (12plug) surge protectors, could I have multiple individual timers plugged in without affecting the devices?i feel like it should be ok, but would hate to burn out 2 grand in equipment.
Thanks so much for any insights,
Alex, in orlando
The danger isn't in damaging the equipment, it is in tripping a breaker on overload or starting a fire in the wiring.

The only way to know for sure is to add up the maximum watt usage of everything you intend to plug in. If it is under 1500 watts you should be fine. If it is more than 1500 watts but less than 1800 watts it could be a problem. If it is more than 1800 watts I wouldn't do it.

Alex Rademaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The danger isn't in damaging the equipment, it is in tripping a breaker on overload or starting a fire in the wiring.

The only way to know for sure is to add up the maximum watt usage of everything you intend to plug in. If it is under 1500 watts you should be fine. If it is more than 1500 watts but less than 1800 watts it could be a problem. If it is more than 1800 watts I wouldn't do it.
Thanks so much for the Info. I will have to check out my total watts.

Alex Rademaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like I'm at about 1200 watts, so that makes me feel better about it. Thanks again

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question here: I have one Icecap battery backup and run a Tunze powerhead off one power socket. (There are 2 power source/sockets on the battery.) I have one power socket left on the battery but need to plug in two items: 1. Apex 12v brain power source to send emails when power's out, 2. Modem/router 12v power to send emails when the power's out. Can I take the power cord coming out of the battery and splice it going into a wye to connect 1 & 2 to the same 12v power socket on the BBU? I have little electrical knowledge so any help is appreciated. @Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question here: I have one Icecap battery backup and run a Tunze powerhead off one power socket. (There are 2 power source/sockets on the battery.) I have one power socket left on the battery but need to plug in two items: 1. Apex 12v brain power source to send emails when power's out, 2. Modem/router 12v power to send emails when the power's out. Can I take the power cord coming out of the battery and splice it going into a wye to connect 1 & 2 to the same 12v power socket on the BBU? I have little electrical knowledge so any help is appreciated. @Brew12
Yup, you can do that and it should work just fine.

A better option imo would be to try to find the properly sized splitter or splitter/adapter combination.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6G5DJ...aa61-1d8defb6fb96&ie=UTF8&qid=1543234891&sr=2

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, can these wires be brought together with wire ties for a bit more managed look?

84076F2D-D39E-4ED2-A2A4-3D9B6AE61F38.jpeg

9DA5BD61-9A68-45FA-A276-011FF2F1344C.jpeg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would separate power cables from sensor cables.
Thats a practice thats almost forgotten, even in industrial applications due to improved cable shielding and digital signals as apposed to analog.
feedback_cables.jpg

luis carreiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello resident electricians,
I am in the process of building a house within the next year and setting up a 180g tank along with a fish room in the basement. Total water around 250 gal.
Will have a generator for tank, major appliances in case of power outages.
Components:
Radions probably three, Refugium light
2 Abyzz return pumps, 1 pump for H2O change system, pump for ATO
AWC system- Genesis with 2 pumps,
Apex controller, WAV pumps, DOS,
2 heaters,
skimmer,
possible air exchange system in fish room

What do I tell my electrician that I need in the basement and upstairs near the DT for electrical requirements.
Thanks in advance

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello resident electricians,
I am in the process of building a house within the next year and setting up a 180g tank along with a fish room in the basement. Total water around 250 gal.
Will have a generator for tank, major appliances in case of power outages.
Components:
Radions probably three, Refugium light
2 Abyzz return pumps, 1 pump for H2O change system, pump for ATO
AWC system- Genesis with 2 pumps,
Apex controller, WAV pumps, DOS,
2 heaters,
skimmer,
possible air exchange system in fish room

What do I tell my electrician that I need in the basement and upstairs near the DT for electrical requirements.
Thanks in advance
Since the costs are almost negligible to add circuits in a new house, I would add a 15A circuit with 4 outlets for the upstairs. I would put 2 separate 15A circuits for downstairs with at least 4 outlets each.

medicw131

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. My house was built in 2013 and I'd like to place the outlet my tank is plugged into on its own circuit. Is there such a thing as too big of a circuit for a single outlet? Or would it be more beneficial to add another outlet to the room on its own circuit? The panel is located in my garage, which is also where the attic access is. I believe everything is run up and through the attic, as I can't find wiring in my basement associated with the room the tank sits in.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, can these wires be brought together with wire ties for a bit more managed look?

84076F2D-D39E-4ED2-A2A4-3D9B6AE61F38.jpeg

9DA5BD61-9A68-45FA-A276-011FF2F1344C.jpeg

Yes, or you can get a big cardboard cut out of Nancy Pelosi to put in front of it.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
@Brew12

I have 2 x 15 AMP dedicated curcuits and I wanted to split it through 4 x Blank Face GFCIs, this way I get 8 outlets - each pair on a separate GFCI. Do you see anything wrong with my logic?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back