Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or in the event that one of the breaker were turned off the neutral from the other circuit would still carry current.
That is why it is no longer allowed. I'm still waiting for wire mfg to offer multi circuit cables/romex.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not share the neutral from two circuits using a mini breaker. Only if the circuits are on different phases, and they are not with a mini breaker.

Now even if the circuits are on different phases some codes forbid it. (but I don't listen to that and share it anyway like we did since electricity was invented. But don't tell anyone. )

NoviReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 25 years experiance on the field and 15 years at the office, as an electrican I think I can answer most of your questions.

Thanks to my fellow electricians for helping answering your question's.
And the team is:

Myself and
anemonekeeper

:wink:
Thanks for offering Advice!
I am planning my fish room; I want to run a sub panel just for my reef to a room closer to everything .also allows plenty of space to run dedicated 20A circuits.( etc.)

I have a few open slots on my main panel to run the sub panel I want to run the wire and stage every; then get the electrician to do the final hook ups and check my work( should help defray cost of labor)

what wire to run? From mAin to sub panel
what breakers to get for main panel?

planning a large tank(1500 gal). Reef, controller, all the bells an whistles..

want to make future proof .
Thanks so much again.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks for offering Advice!
I am planning my fish room; I want to run a sub panel just for my reef to a room closer to everything .also allows plenty of space to run dedicated 20A circuits.( etc.)

I have a few open slots on my main panel to run the sub panel I want to run the wire and stage every; then get the electrician to do the final hook ups and check my work( should help defray cost of labor)

what wire to run? From mAin to sub panel
what breakers to get for main panel?

want to make future proof .
Thanks so much again.

Put a double pole 60A braker in your main panel and from the main to sub you'll run 2 HOTS (RED & BLACK), NEUTRAL (White) and GROUND (Green or Bare). Use at least 6AWG or better yet, 4AWG especially if they are far apart. Wire is not that expensive, thicker gauge will run cooler and safer. That should give you plenty of juice in your sub-panel for anything you want to add to your tank/fish room. Siemens panel with copper bus bars can be found on Amazon at very good prices.

NoviReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a double pole 60A braker in your main panel and from the main to sub you'll run 2 HOTS (RED & BLACK), NEUTRAL (White) and GROUND (Green or Bare). Use at least 6AWG or better yet, 4AWG especially if they are far apart. Wire is not that expensive, thicker gauge will run cooler and safer. That should give you plenty of juice in your sub-panel for anything you want to add to your tank/fish room. Siemens panel with copper bus bars can be found on Amazon at very good prices.

Thank you so much! My weekend project!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey neighbor, That's a big system, you may want to do the math. 60A should be fine but I might suggest looking at what's going to be running. BTW Any good reef stores on the west side?
20A for controller and all electronics
20A for heaters, this going in a lower level? Basement
20A pumps
20A lighting

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey neighbor, That's a big system, you may want to do the math. 60A should be fine but I might suggest looking at what's going to be running. BTW Any good reef stores on the west side?
20A for controller and all electronics
20A for heaters, this going in a lower level? Basement
20A pumps
20A lighting

60A Double pole breaker gives you 60A + 60A on the opposing branch in the subpanel. He should be plenty covered. You'd need to use more than 14000 watts evenly distributed at same time to trip that panel My whole house has 100Amp service and I don't find it problematic even though I have plenty of electronics going. Con Ed loves me.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

Hello again from the lightning capital of the world.
I want to "protect" my apex/eb832 etc plus provide some battery back up with a APC 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector.

Can I safely do this:

Plug the APC into the wall outlet, and then plug the EB832 and EB8 into the APC (multitude of things plugged into the EB's)

ie APC 1500VA on amazon

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

Hello again from the lightning capital of the world.
I want to "protect" my apex/eb832 etc plus provide some battery back up with a APC 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector.

Can I safely do this:

Plug the APC into the wall outlet, and then plug the EB832 and EB8 into the APC (multitude of things plugged into the EB's)

ie APC 1500VA on amazon
You can do that as long as you don't overload it. And don't expect it to last too long. 1500VA is great for electronics but not higher energy loads.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have one of those gfci bodies that plug into the wall since my wall outlet doesn't have one. It seems that any time a storm comes and flickers the lights, it causes the gfci to trip. Would swapping out the wall outlet to a gfci instead of the gfci body allow me to power my tank without all those trips during storms?

Reason I'm asking is that I was away for an extended weekend and a storm flipped my gfci causing my temporary tank temperature to drop to dangerously cold temperatures. Fortunately it's only 1 fish in there and he survived, but I am working on a new tank and I want some nice corals so I do need to find a solution to this. If that isn't the solution any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

amirk48

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
i just got the tunze 5000.020 pump for a diy ATO build
the label on it says 3-12VDC max 1.2A

im running it with a 5V adapter, will it be ok to run the pump straight through the switch floats or do i have to use a relay for that?

thank!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
i just got the tunze 5000.020 pump for a diy ATO build
the label on it says 3-12VDC max 1.2A

im running it with a 5V adapter, will it be ok to run the pump straight through the switch floats or do i have to use a relay for that?

thank!
It should run fine through the float switches, but it may reduce the life of both the pump and the float switches. I can't quantify for you how fast the arcing would pit the contacts.

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 20amp breaker for my fish room. Can i upgrade to higher amp?

Also, if i cant, whats the highest wattage i can safely use on this 20amp

C141165A-C5D5-437F-801B-2695B34A3E9D.jpeg

Sparkymarc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 20amp breaker for my fish room. Can i upgrade to higher amp?

Also, if i cant, whats the highest wattage i can safely use on this 20amp

C141165A-C5D5-437F-801B-2695B34A3E9D.jpeg
If you want to up the breaker, you would have to up the wire size( unless it is 10 gauge or bigger) looks like yours is a 12 gauge but a little hard to tell. In that case, I would just pull another 20 amp circuit, so to have 2 circuits. Personally, I think 1900 watts on a 20 amp circuit is the most I would push it.

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to up the breaker, you would have to up the wire size( unless it is 10 gauge or bigger) looks like yours is a 12 gauge but a little hard to tell. In that case, I would just pull another 20 amp circuit, so to have 2 circuits. Personally, I think 1900 watts on a 20 amp circuit is the most I would push it.

I think its a #12 wire. Anyone have example or pic of two 20amp circuit. Im clueless when it comes to electrical

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you can not legally up that circuit to anything than 20 amps in a home. You need to add another circuit by putting in another wire to that location as was just said

Last edited:

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I've got a question. I have three 24v dc pumps. All three power supply's have the same input 100-240v ~50/60. Only thing is two have output of 24V = 1.75A and one has 25V = 2.75A My question is can I use one power supply that's rated same input but output is 24V= 6.25A and eliminate three separate power supply’s ? I would be plugging the new power supply into a dc jack that would be soldered to three separate dc jacks returning to each of the three pumps via three controller. The pumps a jeboa dc pumps. Would the power supply work and split the Amps or not work?

thanks Metcho

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back