Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can. 24 volt and 25 volt is the same thing. They may be anywhere from 16-30 volts as those things are not very accurate and all made in China or India.

They also all use less than the output of one power supply

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can. 24 volt and 25 volt is the same thing. They may be anywhere from 16-30 volts as those things are not very accurate and all made in China or India.

They also all use less than the output of one power supply

Thanks for answer so fast Paul B I just seen that I put the new one is 25v that was incorrect. All of the three and new power supply I’m looking at are 24v My bad.
I just wanted to make sure that the one 24v 625a will split the amps to the three pumps without burning up any of the pumps. Slipping 1.75a pimp (1) 1.75a pimp (2) and 2.75a third
I have no idea I looked online but got stumped. Needed advice

thanks Metcho

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The devices draw how many amps they need no matter what the power supply puts out. If you put to many things on that power supply, it will probably heat up and burn out. Some have a circuit breaker.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answer so fast Paul B I just seen that I put the new one is 25v that was incorrect. All of the three and new power supply I’m looking at are 24v My bad.
I just wanted to make sure that the one 24v 625a will split the amps to the three pumps without burning up any of the pumps. Slipping 1.75a pimp (1) 1.75a pimp (2) and 2.75a third
I have no idea I looked online but got stumped. Needed advice

thanks Metcho
Just to clarify something with this... the power supply ratings are the maximum it will put out. The actual current being used is determined by the DC pump controller. You could but a 24V, 10A power supply on a single pump with a 1.75A rating and it would work just fine.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify something with this... the power supply ratings are the maximum it will put out. The actual current being used is determined by the DC pump controller. You could but a 24V, 10A power supply on a single pump with a 1.75A rating and it would work just fine.

Okay but I’m trying to eliminate three power supply’s and have one for the three pumps. I was just taking the three pumps and adding the amps together equaling 6.25A. I found a new power supply with same input as three and the added together 6.25A. I just want sure if the power supply would run all three pumps on not over load one pump with more amps and burn it out.

Thanks Metcho

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to eliminate the three power supply’s to one cause I’m plugging it into a backup 24v battery system I’m making and could figure out how to only have one power supply fed it instead of three power supply’s into the Eaton D7PF2AT1 General Purpose Relay, 15A Rated Current, DPDT Contact Configuration, 24VDC Coil Voltage, 650ohm Coil Resistance.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two 12v sealed lead gel battery’s hook + to - making the battery output 24v

then 24V battery + goes into relay + NC and - of battery goes to -NC.

The common - goes to jeboa controller - and common + goes to + jeboa controller

NO - and coil - hook together to - of power supply and NO + and coil + hook to + power supply.

From all I could find online this should work when power goes out battery’s kick pumps on

Does this make sense ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two 12v sealed lead gel battery’s hook + to - making the battery output 24v

then 24V battery + goes into relay + NC and - of battery goes to -NC.

The common - goes to jeboa controller - and common + goes to + jeboa controller

NO - and coil - hook together to - of power supply and NO + and coil + hook to + power supply.

From all I could find online this should work when power goes out battery’s kick pumps on

Does this make sense ?
Yup, that should work exactly how you expect it to as long as I understand how you are explaining it correctly.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats what I said, but you said it so much more eloquently :)

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the rendering of what I’m thinking. I wanted the pumps to run at 24v like they do now and not down to 12v half speed like all the battery backup options out there.

BC139155-8C9A-44D3-BF4C-238922312821.jpeg

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you think. Hopeful it’s correct and it helps others that want to run 24v and not 12v to there backup battery setup

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am reading your diagram correctly, and I am probably not, it looks like the 2 wires from your power supply go to the coil terminals on your relay "and" across NO terminals. When the relay coil is energized won't there be a direct short of the + and - terminals of the power supply when the coil closes those NO contacts?

I also don't understand those batteries at the top of the sketch.
I actually don't think anything on it is correct, sorry. Maybe it's me

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay then may I ask how the wires should go? Like I said I found many different ways of wireing it online. I’m by no means a electrician. That’s why I’m asking for input before I start this project

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am reading your diagram correctly, and I am probably not, it looks like the 2 wires from your power supply go to the coil terminals on your relay "and" across NO terminals. When the relay coil is energized won't there be a direct short of the + and - terminals of the power supply when the coil closes those NO contacts?

I also don't understand those batteries at the top of the sketch.
I actually don't think anything on it is correct, sorry. Maybe it's me

Please let me know the way you think it would be wired up to relay to switch power in outage to battery backup. The battery should’ve had a 8gauge wire at top to connect the -and+ making the two 12v into 24v

thanks Metcho

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is correct. I had to re draw it in a way I could understand it. (I am an electrician) I wasn't sure what you were trying to do and I was reading it backwards.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back