Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just determine your total amps apprx. 11 amps. You should be under the 15 amp some outlets designed for. I would change out CB and replace outlet too. Also I'm leaning towards a weak circuit breaker, because every time a chiller turns on it does what's called Lock rotor amps, when the electric motor in the compressor starts it creates a very high amperage draw and if the circuit breaker weak it will trip
This is exactly what I pictured happening and this was the missing link in the behavior of chiller.
Thank you for quick responses and follow-ups.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you know watts or amps from chiller. If total system amps( lights, chiller....etc) are under 15 amps. May have weak circuit breaker, if after changing CB. And still have issue may have bad connection in house wiring somewhere...
Just checked Breaker - Its ONLY 15 amps- Yikes,, , , , for two rooms?? No wonder. I know I can safely take it to 20 amps. I might as well get a voltage tester while at it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 You shouldn’t upsize breakers unless the wire is a 12 gauge
Wire is a 12 gage and to assure this is being done safely, I called one of our electricians at work and he checked, tested and installed the 20a. It does not get warm or hot and low and behold. . . . . Orpheks and chiller are running and NO issues and within 2 hours- tank went from 80.8 to 79.6.
He is stopping in morning with a voltage tester, steal some of my coffee and test wattage use

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELP, CONCERN AND SUGGESTIONS AND IT APPEARS CHILLER IS RUNNING NICELY AND ITS BEEN 4 HOURS AND NOTHING HAS TRIPPED. IT WAS TRIPPING IN 4-6 MINUTES PREVIOUSLY.

1602986880424.png

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill
Wire is a 12 gage and to assure this is being done safely, I called one of our electricians at work and he checked, tested and installed the 20a. It does not get warm or hot and low and behold. . . . . Orpheks and chiller are running and NO issues and within 2 hours- tank went from 80.8 to 79.6.
He is stopping in morning with a voltage tester, steal some of my coffee and test wattage use
I'll send you the bill.....hahaha

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to just switch off then back on the switch that the delay on break timer is wired into to create the delay that triggers the timer count down.
Hey did you get your project working ?
I use something similar at work.
1. It's either a delay ON or Delay OFF type of timer
2. when triggered or signal goes high it counts for delay on
3, With delay off, it counts when signal goes low to delay turning something off
If you cycle power in the middle of a cycle it resets counter.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey did you get your project working ?
I use something similar at work.
1. It's either a delay ON or Delay OFF type of timer
2. when triggered or signal goes high it counts for delay on
3, With delay off, it counts when signal goes low to delay turning something off
If you cycle power in the middle of a cycle it resets counter.

Sort of. Here's what I came up with. This is pretty similar to the way I did it back in the day splicing in line with an extension cord. However then the timer was accurate plus or minus say 15 to 30 seconds. Now when I break the circuit and flip the circuit back on even if I have it set to 10 minutes sometimes the delay coming back on is 30 seconds sometimes it's 12 minutes sometimes it's 2 minutes sometimes it's 5 minutes. I think it's an issue with the module versus anything else in the system but any feedback would be welcomed.
IMG_20201018_124432.jpg
IMG_20201018_124432.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of. Here's what I came up with. This is pretty similar to the way I did it back in the day splicing in line with an extension cord. However then the timer was accurate plus or minus say 15 to 30 seconds. Now when I break the circuit and flip the circuit back on even if I have it set to 10 minutes sometimes the delay coming back on is 30 seconds sometimes it's 12 minutes sometimes it's 2 minutes sometimes it's 5 minutes. I think it's an issue with the module versus anything else in the system but any feedback would be welcomed.
IMG_20201018_124432.jpg
IMG_20201018_124432.jpg
Great install, wires maybe crossed, just a guess, we use those but for 24v, never have issues. I'm more likely wrong. Just a hunch.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great install, wires maybe crossed, just a guess, we use those but for 24v, never have issues. I'm more likely wrong. Just a hunch.

I could change the wires but since it's AC should it matter? I usually do more stuff with DC where it absolutely matters.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could change the wires but since it's AC should it matter? I usually do more stuff with DC where it absolutely matters.
If the time is inconsistent I would suspect it is a problem with the timer itself. And no, AC shouldn't matter which wire goes where.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does, on timers it has small schematic, one side is voltage other load.

Screenshot_20201018-221540.png

Last edited:

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, Can I pour a bunch of water on an electrical socket and put my finger in it? Thanks if you answer! ;););):D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, Can I pour a bunch of water on an electrical socket and put my finger in it? Thanks if you answer! ;););):D
The answer is yes, yes you can. I just wouldn't recommend it!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's an issue with the module versus anything else in the system but any feedback would be welcomed.
I agree with You and Brew ;) sounds like a bad timer. BTW AC stands for ALTERNATING current, but I could be Wong

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Electrical question please...
I am putting in a 240 gallon system. The location is near the kitchen in a breakfast nook. The outlet I want to use to run everything is on the same circuit as a few of my kitchen outlets. That circuit in my panel is on two 20 amp breakers that are tied together. A total of 6 outlets is all I can find using those breakers. It is marked "microwave & kitchen outlets" on the panel but the microwave isn't using it as it doesn't go off when I turn off the breaker. I have a couple appliances using that circuit (toaster and coffee maker). Other than that it rarely gets used by anything.

Any thoughts on my power situation? They are GFI obviously. Guessing with a 240 gallon system running LED lights Ill be using somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 watts?

I don't understand why the breakers are tied together but hope its a good thing? Thanks.

FragFarm

Frag Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP 40 help I need to replace the power input jack on my MP40 board does anyone know where I can get a schematic or part number for the port
See photo. The unit works just not without suppling a ground cause port is melted. TIP use right power supply lol lol

747F6F5B-9096-4DCB-AA80-41BBC2BDDBE3.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical question please...
I am putting in a 240 gallon system. The location is near the kitchen in a breakfast nook. The outlet I want to use to run everything is on the same circuit as a few of my kitchen outlets. That circuit in my panel is on two 20 amp breakers that are tied together. A total of 6 outlets is all I can find using those breakers. It is marked "microwave & kitchen outlets" on the panel but the microwave isn't using it as it doesn't go off when I turn off the breaker. I have a couple appliances using that circuit (toaster and coffee maker). Other than that it rarely gets used by anything.

Any thoughts on my power situation? They are GFI obviously. Guessing with a 240 gallon system running LED lights Ill be using somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 watts?

I don't understand why the breakers are tied together but hope its a good thing? Thanks.
You have a very unusual setup, so I'm not comfortable making a recommendation. The two breakers tied together should be for a 240V outlet, such as an electric stove. The microwave is required to be on it's own independent circuit. So, it sounds like someone modified the wiring and didn't update the labels. That would have me worried.

I will say that I would never run anything other than a nano aquarium on an outlet that shared a circuit with a kitchen. I wouldn't want a toaster or coffee maker tripping off my aquarium. Those can be large loads and a trip would be expected if your aquarium heaters kicked on while making a pot of coffee. Not a good situation.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back