Your tank has got to have curb appeal!!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2A995EBE-AAF6-48B3-B28C-EBBB04ADA5A7.jpeg

So, people are coming over to see your house. Potential buyers right? And in front of the house you have across the sidewalk, from one end of the house to the other, at foot deep of garbage!!!
It doesn’t add to the appearance but is a real distraction. So many reefers allow there gravel or sand to build up algae and dirt right across their tank. From one side to the other. A nearby window allows diffused light to come in causing more algae than normal. An easy fix is to gravel/sand vac your tank. Siphoning the gravel or sand closest to the front glass. As the sand rises in the syphon tube transfer it back to other locations, creating reef dunes. In the process, you expose the dirt and algae on your tanks (sidewalk):) front glass. Scrape it clean.
Now enjoy the seriously fts. Full Tank Shot. Now instead of an inch or two or three, you have clean glass from top to bottom and little to no sand against the glass. Maybe a 1/4” or less. A good habit to get in to. And your tank now has good curb appeal.

1. Do you constantly have an inch or two of dirt and algae on your glass, at or below the sand level?

2. What ways do you eliminate it.
Thanks !!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pretty much just wipe it away with a quick pass of anything that can reach down there (a rubber spatula would work well). I tend to leave it alone as I like seeing the sandbed's microbial life. There isn't really a way to eliminate it permanently.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pretty much just wipe it away with a quick pass of anything that can reach down there (a rubber spatula would work well). I tend to leave it alone as I like seeing the sandbed's microbial life. There isn't really a way to eliminate it permanently.
Yes, seeing spaghetti worms along your glass is cool. But my point was, it can be eliminated by moving the sand or gravel away from the glass and piling it up 4” or 8” back into your tank. It creates these sand dunes that look fantastic. And gives you the opportunity to clean your glass down to the frame eliminating the dirty appearance. :D

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, seeing spaghetti worms along your glass is cool. But my point was, it can be eliminated by moving the sand or gravel away from the glass and piling it up 4” or 8” back into your tank. It creates these sand dunes that look fantastic. And gives you the opportunity to clean your glass down to the frame eliminating the dirty appearance. :D
4CC9329E-132D-46D5-AF97-F47DE46E250C.jpeg

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my sand bed below the drywall line in the in-wall .... by design. Same with the water line up top. Best decision ever.
Very nice! I believe we’ve all gotten used seeing an inch or three of green and brown algae across the bottom face of our tanks.
when it’s 1. Either clean and the substrate is still there, it looks great. OR 2. Sand is completely moved and dirty glass cleaned, it also look great. It’s no longer a distraction.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my DT I have just a very thin layer of course sand (just enough to hide the eggcrate the rocks sit on).

As for the appearance of it I like to think that guests are so in awe of my coral they would never even notice if the sand seemed a bit dirty :)

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my DT I have just a very thin layer of course sand (just enough to hide the eggcrate the rocks sit on).

As for the appearance of it I like to think that guests are so in awe of my coral they would never even notice if the sand seemed a bit dirty :)
Very cool, I’ve got eggcrate under my rocks as well. Hey you may not have to even clean the house with corals like that!!! Lol

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2A995EBE-AAF6-48B3-B28C-EBBB04ADA5A7.jpeg

So, people are coming over to see your house. Potential buyers right? And in front of the house you have across the sidewalk, from one end of the house to the other, at foot deep of garbage!!!
It doesn’t add to the appearance but is a real distraction. So many reefers allow there gravel or sand to build up algae and dirt right across their tank. From one side to the other. A nearby window allows diffused light to come in causing more algae than normal. An easy fix is to gravel/sand vac your tank. Siphoning the gravel or sand closest to the front glass. As the sand rises in the syphon tube transfer it back to other locations, creating reef dunes. In the process, you expose the dirt and algae on your tanks (sidewalk):) front glass. Scrape it clean.
Now enjoy the seriously fts. Full Tank Shot. Now instead of an inch or two or three, you have clean glass from top to bottom and little to no sand against the glass. Maybe a 1/4” or less. A good habit to get in to. And your tank now has good curb appeal.

1. Do you constantly have an inch or two of dirt and algae on your glass, at or below the sand level?

2. What ways do you eliminate it.
Thanks !!!
This is what my wife would notice only while I only see the rest of the tank. Having said that recently I have pointed mi babe makes in a way the actually move the sand away from the front glass. No more worm watching for me for a while :)

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my wife would notice only while I only see the rest of the tank. Having said that recently I have pointed mi babe makes in a way the actually move the sand away from the front glass. No more worm watching for me for a while :)
You could always keep the front view of the tank clear of sand and pile up sand on one or both of the ends and “watch worms” ??? :p

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not like viewing algae/detritus on my tank glass, including below the sand line. I purchased a Tunze Care Magnet scraper earlier this year and it does a great job at cleaning the glass, above & below the sand line, without scratching the glass with sand particles. Using this tool once a week keeps everything looking good and is a must have for me with a sand bed!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not like viewing algae/detritus on my tank glass, including below the sand line. I purchased a Tunze Care Magnet scraper earlier this year and it does a great job at cleaning the glass, above & below the sand line, without scratching the glass with sand particles. Using this tool once a week keeps everything looking good and is a must have for me with a sand bed!
Great purchase!!! Every year for the past 5/6 years my daughter for Christmas gets me the Tunze Care magnet “long” version. And yes it does clean below the sand without scratching. Sand or no sand, it’s a one of the best cleaners imo to viewing our awesome reefs.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I only have about a half inch sand bed and I have no algae problem along the glass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I only have about a half inch sand bed and I have no algae problem along the glass.
Looks great! This severe scolding (lol) is for those who have an inch or 2-3-4 inches and algae growing on a 5% strip of their tank from side to side that doesn’t really need to be there. Like what you’ve done! Nice corals by the way!

Back