Your Tank's Story: What makes a good build thread? Check out the new TAGS!

Build Thread: Have you told us your tank's story?

• Yes

Votes: 241 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 266 49.3%
  • Not sure what that is

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love tank build threads. I love people sharing their progress. (I'm bad at it myself) I love seeing photos of brand new reef aquariums blossom and progress into beautiful reef ecosystems! You can start a build thread at any time. We encourage people to start build threads, update build threads, share progress etc. because it's so good for the community as a whole. We grow, we learn, we enjoy and even at times we cringe. Let me also say that a build thread isn't just the beginning of a new tank. Maybe you joined us and your tank is already established. In that case start a build thread and begin telling us your tank's story! Start one here. So today let's talk about build threads and you can help by answering the following!

1. What makes a build thread good to you? Why would you follow one over another?

2. Why do you or why do you not have a build thread here on R2R?

Also wanted to let you know that we added a new feature to the forum here. Now all threads created and existing threads within the Member's Aquarium Discussion forum all have a thread prefix/badge automatically added to them. This will make them more recognizable and easier to find within the trending topics of the day!

Untitled-7 copy.jpg

Here are the prefix titles for each forum.

Member Tanks - Build Thread
Member Frag Tanks & Frag Systems - Frag Build
Large Aquariums - Large Build
Monster Tanks - Monster Build
Nano Reefs - Nano Build
All In One Aquariums - AIO Build
Cube Aquariums - Cube Build

So now each build thread prefix is a link to that type of build thread. For example if you want to see all the Monster Build threads then you would click the "Monster Build" thread prefix. Try it out here by clicking the image!

1594999948753.png

Also when you are viewing the latest topics or posts you will see these build threads stand out more!

Untitled-8 copy.jpg

So there you have it and thank you for answering the questions today!

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had the time to hunt down all my old pictures. Plus I'm currently not happy with the state of my tank. I think those two factors have prevented me from creating a tank thread

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow build threads to 1. Learn stuff, tips and tricks, cool ideas for my next build; 2. To drool over amazing coral and fish; 3. To help others with their build; 4. Or just because I like the person.

Another thing I’ve learned is that to build a community here (even though it’s a small hobby, this site can seem huge) you have to try to make personal connections. It’s what makes the interactions on this forum meaningful and enjoyable. The best way to do that is through sharing your build thread and making thoughtful comments on others’.

Island Reef 242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I believe that pictures make a great build thread, along with info on how one maintains their tank, and finally one that includes the down and ups of their journey so we all can learn.

2.I have a build thread so I can keep track and see how my tank has progressed or digressed, and so I can share my journey with others, although I have been bad at updating it recently.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one do not like the prefixs. It’s a clutter on my alerts and to me serves no good function. What does it make easier? It’s to me easy to find build threads go to member tanks monster ski etc and browse without more verbiage tossed into alerts. I don’t know why but this really rankles me for some reason maybe not clicking on alert in same place the visual difference but it’s got me wanting to stop getting alerts
I’m probably just a weirdo and will return to my basement

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like watching the progression. Good pacing is important - a lot of tanks particularly large custom tanks may take 1 year or more to get water in them. Then if they're starting with dry rock another year + before it really gets going. Regular updates are nice as well - While it can be a surprise to see a tank I haven't thought of getting updated in a while, something is always changing in a reef.

Here is my own (main) build thread - it has a bit of a story and long steady progress however I never really get a ton of comments on it. I guess part of the reason is I'm rarely asking for help and just showing slow and steady changes through the months and years.

I also have a nano and a frag build thread, as well as one neglected tank that barely has it's on thread..

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read any of the above replies, sorry people, I hate this, I hate that my watched threads are a blue blur list and I would kindly request that mine is removed.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't had the time to hunt down all my old pictures. Plus I'm currently not happy with the state of my tank. I think those two factors have prevented me from creating a tank thread

I'm the worst but I hear it helps to show your tank in all it's ugly and glory! Let's go!! HA!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another thing I’ve learned is that to build a community here (even though it’s a small hobby, this site can seem huge) you have to try to make personal connections. It’s what makes the interactions on this forum meaningful and enjoyable. The best way to do that is through sharing your build thread and making thoughtful comments on others’.

Oooh this is good!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I for one do not like the prefixs. It’s a clutter on my alerts and to me serves no good function. What does it make easier? It’s to me easy to find build threads go to member tanks monster ski etc and browse without more verbiage tossed into alerts. I don’t know why but this really rankles me for some reason maybe not clicking on alert in same place the visual difference but it’s got me wanting to stop getting alerts
I’m probably just a weirdo and will return to my basement

HAHA no you're not weird and I appreciate the feedback for sure. We consistently try to create ways to keep the community engaged and one thing we have seen is that a lot of build threads are getting overlooked. We're trying to help that. We're not always going to get it right so thanks for sticking with us through the thick and the thin!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA no you're not weird and I appreciate the feedback for sure. We consistently try to create ways to keep the community engaged and one thing we have seen is that a lot of build threads are getting overlooked. We're trying to help that. We're not always going to get it right so thanks for sticking with us through the thick and the thin!
I can dig that, There’s a few folks I talk with a lot and in that circle get tips to check out build thread x of someone starting out. It’s nice to see folks stopping in dropping a like and or a comment makes ya feel good so a worthy cause.
It would be nice if a newly created build thread stayed at top of its thread for a bit like a temporary sticky to give people a chance to notice it,
The very active threads always in first page generate hits but a new thread drops off the 1st page radar very quickly before it can pick up some followers,
I dig thru a few pages looking for new interesting titles but I suspect many stick to first page.
Hope the team finds a best practice for the visibility your going for

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My build would most likely be considered boring. To me my thread is more like a journal. My system is simple ( lights , skimmer ) so I don't use all the gadgets that are available. I do need to update it

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What makes a build thread good to you? Why would you follow one over another?
pictures, videos, more pictures.
I follow some I comment on and those that have commented on mine, just to see what they have going on.

I originally didn't have one because the sight required you to be a supporting member.
Funny thing, when the rule got changed, I became a supporting member.
:cool:

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tank build threads. I love people sharing their progress. (I'm bad at it myself) I love seeing photos of brand new reef aquariums blossom and progress into beautiful reef ecosystems! You can start a build thread at any time. We encourage people to start build threads, update build threads, share progress etc. because it's so good for the community as a whole. We grow, we learn, we enjoy and even at times we cringe. Let me also say that a build thread isn't just the beginning of a new tank. Maybe you joined us and your tank is already established. In that case start a build thread and begin telling us your tank's story! Start one here. So today let's talk about build threads and you can help by answering the following!

Also wanted to let you know that we added a new feature to the forum here. Now all threads created and existing threads within the Member's Aquarium Discussion forum all have a thread prefix/badge automatically added to them. This will make them more recognizable and easier to find within the trending topics of the day!

Untitled-7 copy.jpg

Here are the prefix titles for each forum.

Member Tanks - Build Thread
Member Frag Tanks & Frag Systems - Frag Build
Large Aquariums - Large Build
Monster Tanks - Monster Build
Nano Reefs - Nano Build
All In One Aquariums - AIO Build
Cube Aquariums - Cube Build

So now each build thread prefix is a link to that type of build thread. For example if you want to see all the Monster Build threads then you would click the "Monster Build" thread prefix. Try it out here by clicking the image!

1594999948753.png

Also when you are viewing the latest topics or posts you will see these build threads stand out more!

Untitled-8 copy.jpg

So there you have it and thank you for answering the questions today!

WOW, my build thread is an example?! How on earth did that happen

1). Pics and videos are a large factor for me. I’m still very new so I’m not always able to just visualize whatever crazy adjustments have been made on the tank that I could live inside. So being able to actually see what’s done along with reading about it is awesome. Builds like that have been so helpful while I’ve been navigating my own.

2) I have my own build thread going for several reasons. One being it’s an excellent way to document your own progress, which is awesome if you’re like me and sometimes feel discouraged and frustrated. Another reason is it’s a great way to integrate into the incredible community here and learn as you go. Finally, I have some small hope that my thread may prove helpful to other people just starting out.

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has a very sad story.
Once upon a time I had some money. Then I decided to start a reef tank and all my money vanished like magic.
The End.
See, I said it was a sad story. Lol

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a build thread mostly to document where my tank has been and where it is. I am happy with it now (even though it is not perfect). I have not done anything new at all (for probably 6 months or more) so my thread is not real active at the moment.

I enjoy reading about other folks who have tanks similar to mine. Tanks with minimal filtering equipment but utilize biological methods of nutrient export.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too find the badges in the alerts clumsy and distracting. Not a fan of them at all.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like build threads that take me on a journey. ....not the ones that simply provide a step by step... I did this, then I did this and then, and then and then...

to keep my attention I want to hear about the problems you had a long the way... both successes and failures... maybe even a story about how you made a decision based on the level of scotch involved that night.

Make it more of a journal. : )

oh yeah... and pics, pics, pics, pics, pics

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing for this. I just got one started! I will have plenty of updates with pics of my first build. Excited to show it off and get some real time feedback eventually. It is quite a long process (for me) and I look forward to being able to get input and ideas as I go along

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good build thread should have plenty of pics as well as regular updates imo.

I love seeing builds in every size group as they all have different challenges.

(p.s. I just started a new 200g DD build and looking for light recommendations )

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back