Your thoughts on custom tank manufacturers?

Who are your top 3 Custom Tank Manufacturers???

• Total voters

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CDA tank now. I am happy enough with it, But the experience was not pleasant. And I do not feel I got what I paid for. Not to mention the sold the tank I returned and there was no mention of the damage that I returned it for in there add.

so if I were to do it again. It would be miracles, tankme then reef savvy in that order.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see votes for Advanced Acrylics but I don't see any posts....

Anyway that is who I went with for my custom build.

Dimensions:
- 24 X 24 X 66 (3/4" thick all sides)
- Black on one narrow side with external overflow box
- Set up date July 2017 and still going strong
- Favorite feature is the custom acrylic light rack made to hold three Ecotech Radions

IMG_20170703_150813.jpg
IMG_20170705_185807.jpg
IMG_20170705_171514.jpg
IMG_20170712_160127.jpg
IMG_20170907_175859.jpg
PXL_20211220_002725395.MP.jpg

Last edited:

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI; I talked to tankme usa today and they are shutting down the business....

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI; I talked to tankme usa today and they are shutting down the business....

Good to know, that is very sad news as they made stunning tanks.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. I was just getting ready to contact them about a replacement for my existing tank that’s 17+ years old. Now that I’m retired I want a new tank that fixes all the things I ended up hating on my first custom build. Oh well, the search goes on.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just went through the process of purchasing a 350 gallon peninsula. I researched several mainstream online manufacturers and ended up going with a manufacturer recommended by my LFS who doesn’t deal with the public, only wholesale. I will be getting my tank soon and hopefully be able to get the name of the manufacturer. I chose this manufacturer because of the quality of workmanship and materials such as a PVC bottom, custom cutout of teeth on the side of the tank, custom overflow box and delivery time was nearly half of all the other manufacturers. So, I will soon find out how my tank turned out and will let you know

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I see reef savvy has 121 votes. So 121 people in this forum ordered 121 tanks thru them ?
Even with 9 month wait 121 tanks were sold?
Or people voted Felix based on good word from others.

Not a hater. Waiting on a quote from him.
On Facebook I saw Felix post this
100x44x39

Sweet I am looking for something similar 120x36x36

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220225-225414_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-225414_Chrome.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20220225-225409_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-225409_Chrome.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20220225-225403_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-225403_Chrome.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20220225-225422_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-225422_Chrome.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20220225-225418_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-225418_Chrome.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 60

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sure did, only I think those are only estimated from previous builds. I did inquire with them about the 180 as well as the 84” 210 as I’m limited on depth. Hopefully the prices are still similar to what’s shown as that would be very competitive considering the quality is comparable to reef savvy whose a much higher price.
He has closed custom aquariums. He is so behind he shut down for a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-043621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-043621_Chrome.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 60

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see reef savvy has 121 votes. So 121 people in this forum ordered 121 tanks thru them ?

100x44x39

A lot has changed since the origination of this thread in June 2019. I aplaud @JoshH for creating it. Many have used it to help navigate through all the options available. Great resource. Would be nice to see a current polling. There are several new builders. Lots of changes in 3 years. Really feel this would be helpful to you the consumer. Also very helpful to manufactures. Not sure about other builders, we humbly listen to constructive feedback so we can adjust the organIzation to serve the best it can for everyone.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A lot has changed since the origination of this thread in June 2019. I aplaud @JoshH for creating it. Many have used it to help navigate through all the options available. Great resource. Would be nice to see a current polling. There are several new builders. Lots of changes in 3 years. Really feel this would be helpful to you the consumer. Also very helpful to manufactures. Not sure about other builders, we humbly listen to constructive feedback so we can adjust the organIzation to serve the best it can for everyone.
If the OP is still around please redo this After Corona as I call it.
We had BC and AD

Now we also have BC and AC lol

Or any mod or Excellence award winners please do the honours.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,

I love the new website! and I just put in a quote for a small frag tank.

I would love to hear some insight from the builders side on a couple of things.
1) Are there dimensions you prefer to work with?
2) is there a point where going bigger is actually cheaper? Like if someone ordered a 11ft long tank, but you get glass sheets in 12ft and adding an additional foot would actual reduce the labor and cost on the tank.
3) What's the current state of supply and relative pricing on glass? We hear things that are all over the spectrum and getting an actual answer from a manufacturer would be nice.
4) Is there anything people consistently forget to think about when ordering a custom tank?

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,

I love the new website! and I just put in a quote for a small frag tank.

I would love to hear some insight from the builders side on a couple of things.
2) is there a point where going bigger is actually cheaper? Like if someone ordered a 11ft long tank, but you get glass sheets in 12ft and adding an additional foot would actual reduce the labor and cost on the tank.
3) What's the current state of supply and relative pricing on glass? We hear things that are all over the spectrum and getting an actual answer from a manufacturer would be nice.
4) Is there anything people consistently forget to think about when ordering a custom tank?
Thanks @Pntbll687 for the feedback on the website. tried to make it fun.....

Great questions. lets dive in!

Hmmmmm, we stock 144" and 130" long sheets of glass. We have fun building the big ones. I would say from 36" to 96" are the easiest with respect to the glass weight that needs to be moved around... other than that, its all almost the same.

We price our tanks with the yield of the glass in mind. for example, if you want an 90" tank, it will be priced as a 96" tank for length. We do the same thing with the width and height.

Yes, raw material access has been tough. We also have a glass importing company and were able to see this issue about a year and half ago. over a year ago we started over ordering supply. currently we have just under a million lbs of glass on the property. We also entered into a direct relationship with Vitro Glass (starphire manufacturer) which has assisted in our supply. So, over a year ago we made the decision that we didn't want to participate in supply issues and here we are not dealing with it.

Very interesting questions....
1) Aquarium Pad
2) not thinking through all the plumbing, being short the last pvc elbow.....
3) Hinged glass lids on framed or euro-braced tanks
We do get a lot of change requests during the builds, overflow placement, change in tank size, adding vinyl wrapping, changing overflow style and adding options.

Hope that helps. Fun questions. Thanks for asking!

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm, we stock 144" and 130" long sheets of glass. We have fun building the big ones. I would say from 36" to 96" are the easiest with respect to the glass weight that needs to be moved around... other than that, its all almost the same.

We price our tanks with the yield of the glass in mind. for example, if you want an 90" tank, it will be priced as a 96" tank for length. We do the same thing with the width and height.
With that info, I've had a crazy idea bouncing around in my head for a while that I'd like you to tell me if I'm crazy or not.

My company is looking to build some office space in the next 3-5 years and one fun thing I was dreaming about doing was building in some tanks into the walls. My thought was two office would share a tank that would be 20' x 2' x 2'. Draining into a sump in the basement. We'd need four of the tanks for the 6 offices plus conference rooms. My question is - is a 20' tank even possible?

I'm not far enough along to even answer questions about the flow in the tank but since you're here and answering questions I figure I'll take a shot.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see votes for Advanced Acrylics but I don't see any posts....

Anyway that is who I went with for my custom build.

Dimensions:
- 24 X 24 X 66 (3/4" thick all sides)
- Black on one narrow side with external overflow box
- Set up date July 2017 and still going strong
- Favorite feature is the custom acrylic light rack made to hold three Ecotech Radions
Ive also had a number of tanks built by Advanced Acrylics. Custom work takes a while, but John is my guy for top quality acrylic work (tell him Zach sent you)

IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0152.jpeg IMG_0154.jpeg IMG_0184.jpeg IMG_0186.jpeg IMG_0187.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

100x44x39

I had origionally intended for the poll to be a top 3 kindof poll, so everyone could vote for who they felt are the top 3 custom manufacturers they would be comfortable recommending . However, I did specify that any reviews posted be from personal experience only. So in saying that, I can not guarantee that every vote is tied to someone who actually ordered a tank from said manufacturers. However, I do know that lead times for a Reef Savvy tank can and have exceeded 12 months. And it can take 6+ Weeks to even hear back with a quote.

If the OP is still around please redo this After Corona as I call it.
We had BC and AD

Now we also have BC and AC lol

Or any mod or Excellence award winners please do the honours.

I will spend the next couple days rooting around and updating the list as best as I can. I don't immediately want to remove those who have paused production due to order volume as hopefully they will resume taking orders at a later date. I did also mention that this is not the end all be all list, there are many manufacturers out there that aren't mentioned very much and therefor haven't made it onto this list yet. I have always encouraged people to bring up these builders so they can be added to the list as well and share there experience with them for all to see. :)

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jay.
So a suggestion. Let's say 1st choice has to be one you purchased.
2nd and 3rd are next time 1st and 2nd option

For those who never purchased custom tank. Let's make a 0

So their 1st is 0
2nd and 3rd is their 2 choice for future tank.

What you say
Poll will help us see who has purchased a tank , future customers 1sr and 2nd choice.
Can we have columns
Because then we can see output.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Or do three polls
Call them 1st 2nd 3rd
Let them vote how I said
We don't need columns

This way we don't see a lot of info
Three polls will give us

1st poll
Who purchased from whom
Who sold most tanks

2nd poll
Is you customer returning, Unhappy customer
Future customers 1st choice

3rd poll
Future customers 2nd choice
Custom tank owners 2nd choice

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also alot of vendors closed doors. Companies have improved.
Future customers can see their 1st and 2nd choice against other R2R custom tank owning members
They can also see their 1st and 2nd choice against Future customers tank owners 1st and 2nd choice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back