Your Thoughts on The Hanna Nitrate Checker and 50ppm Test.

Would You Buy The Hanna HI781 Nitrate Tester?

• YES ASAP

• YES but maybe Later

• No It's to complicated

• No I am waiting for a simpler high range Version

Results are only viewable after voting.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on Hanna website and saw that the tester was available but meh the 5ppm limit has always been a turn off.
Then I went to YouTube and found the Video below and thought great, it can do 50ppm! I put the unit in my cart and was about to finalize the order when I decided I better watch the video first because it might not be as simple as a 10-1 dilution with fresh SW. After watching the video I decided this might not be for me.
I am curious and I would also like Hanna to see your feedback, what do you think? Would you buy one after watching the testing procedure?

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for higher values of nitrate just use a kit. Knowing whether it's 33 or 30 is going to be meaningless for your needs.

On a side note I've always wondered whether getting a cheap spectrophotometer and figuring out titration curves would be a better option. Thus for ~300 dollars I could have something that will be useable with all test kits from all companies

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw there was a ULR for NO3 I laughed because it seemed pointless to me. But after seeing you can read up to 50, it seemed quite useful. I trust Hanna for PO4 ULR and alk. Wouldn’t mind adding this. But I feel saliferts kit is useful and easy to use. Although hard to get an exact number, the color should be enough to know.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on Hanna website and saw that the tester was available but meh the 5ppm limit has always been a turn off.
Then I went to YouTube and found the Video below and thought great, it can do 50ppm! I put the unit in my cart and was about to finalize the order when I decided I better watch the video first because it might not be as simple as a 10-1 dilution with fresh SW. After watching the video I decided this might not be for me.
I am curious and I would also like Hanna to see your feedback, what do you think? Would you buy one after watching the testing procedure?

I got to 2 minute mark on video and said “no way in heck!”
Gotta be an easier way... Please Hanna!
I love my phosphate and alk checkers.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the filters are one use only,
So resupply kit has two different sets of powder reagents, one bottle of liquid reagent and one pack of filters.
Whew!!

Last edited:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll stick with the salifert nitrate kit that I’ve used since the early 90’s. I personally don’t need that kind of accuracy for nitrates. I really only care that there are some available.
Honestly, I'd be astounded if this ends up more accurate for the average reefer than the color-range test kits. There's simply too many small measurements that need to be done, and too many steps where drops can be lost.

This whole thing is just..

giphy.gif

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait...

what.png

... there are TWO powedered reagent steps?

I also liked how they kept referencing the Hanna-specific part number in the video. "Use the HI740272 16 gauge blunt needle" or "use the HI740143 1mL syringe." Couldn't you just say "use the blunt needle" or "use the 1 mL syringe?" If there's only one blunt needle and one 1mL syringe in the kit, why use a part number to identify them?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I have spend 50.00 on worse things in this hobby salifert is hard to read with my low no3 and this looks kinda fun to do. That being said I don’t use the cal Hanna checker anymore and Can’t even give it away. Wish Hanna had a trade in program.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I have spend 50.00 on worse things in this hobby salifert is hard to read with my low no3 and this looks kinda fun to do. That being said I don’t use the cal Hanna checker anymore and Can’t even give it away. Wish Hanna had a trade in program.
That's kind of how I feel. I am not so much worried about spending the money it's just that I am not sure I am going to use the product. This is at least a 20-30 minute testing process.
Hanna has been working on this for years and as @Sisterlimonpot said you kind of figure that if there was an easier way to do this digitally, Hanna would have thought of it.
I guess we need to see if someone releases a hand held Ion Probe based test kit, that might be the best way to do this accurately and without jumping through a bunch of hoops.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a secondhand cal checker. Works well, readings are consistent with the salt mix, hopefully it'll be handy when I finally get to add some corals :3

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of how I feel. I am not so much worried about spending the money it's just that I am not sure I am going to use the product. This is at least a 20-30 minute testing process.
Hanna has been working on this for years and as @Sisterlimonpot said you kind of figure that if there was an easier way to do this digitally, Hanna would have thought of it.
I guess we need to see if someone releases a hand held Ion Probe based test kit, that might be the best way to do this accurately and without jumping through a bunch of hoops.
I agree. Sometimes though usually once a week I get the testing bug. I’ll sit on the couch with my son and watch some spongebob and get my test on. That’s when this tester will be “fun”. It’s a little easier during crappy weather months to spend an hour getting them all done. Lately it’s a chore to use the Alk Hanna every other day. Just lazy I guess but I am sure I’ll get one. I guess if you really wanna punish someone it’s a great gift:p

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back