YouTuber launched a reef tank kit, scam or no?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like watching his videos because I’m a newbie and I learn and because he’s entertaining.

I have watched the video where he explained his marketing project and I thought it was well done. He says he took years to think about what the perfect tank would be for him (after having many small tanks in college). He also wanted to make a tank where you wouldn’t have to upgrade what came with it.

I thought about my 13.5 Evo that cost me 225$ CAD but ended up costing about 700$ after the upgrades. Without a media basket. So his tank would have probably cost less, and the return pump is controllable, which is a nice feature.

I agree we don’t know about the quality of the light, but I suppose people are going to start talking about it in the next few months.

I’m not a fan or supporter, but I probably would have bought it as my first tank, if I had known how much upgrading costs. But only if the reviews had been good.

I think it’s too early to have a real opinion on this tank.
Upgrades are always a matter of preference, many people would upgrade the stock light that came with the tank since let’s not lie on each other it’s no where near sufficient for SPS and many would add wave makers or exchange the pump for something stronger.

Reefguy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video that he posted and I am a fan of his. Kid has been at it for almost a decade if not longer so props to him for turning this passion into a full time career. I'm sure a lot of us would love to have our passion as our main source of income. I think his tank is def over priced and I too have my doubts about the light but for some people buying from someone they trust and getting everything including videos how to set it up is value to them. It's no diff then people buying baseball cards (I collect those too) or NFTs. If they see value in it then they are going to buy it. I don't think it's a scam. I truly believe he is very passionate about it and put what I'm sure was limited resources into making the tank a product worth putting his name on it. He is very well known In the hobby and I doubt he would bet his reputation on something he didn't truly back. For many he's a big reason others join our hobby so I think it's up to the rest of us to say he has good info but here is some other info on other tanks and lights you may want to consider and let those newbies make a decision that's best for them.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't blame the guy for having a hustle, but looks like a cheap Chinese knockoff of an Innovative Marine Nuvo10. Lol I could build that setup with high end name brand components for less... I do like his tank tour vids though.

Nuvo 10 kit w mighty jet and media basket - $200-220
Kessil A80 - $130

Done!

+1, the Kessil a much nicer light and you can spend the extra $100 on sand/refractometer/rock etc. That gear will also come with a good warranty.

I respect his hustle and it may very well bring new people into the hobby. Good for him if people buy it to get started in the hobby. It would have been cool if he brought something new to the table that would be included with it. I do have concerns about the quality of the included light, especially that it is white/blue and advertised for SPS. Misleading if not outright false.

Time will tell if he covers warranty on the third party (“no-name”) accessories that are included. That determines (to me) whether something is a grab-for-cash endeavor or a legit business.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like watching his videos because I’m a newbie and I learn and because he’s entertaining.

I have watched the video where he explained his marketing project and I thought it was well done. He says he took years to think about what the perfect tank would be for him (after having many small tanks in college). He also wanted to make a tank where you wouldn’t have to upgrade what came with it.

I thought about my 13.5 Evo that cost me 225$ CAD but ended up costing about 700$ after the upgrades. Without a media basket. So his tank would have probably cost less, and the return pump is controllable, which is a nice feature.

I agree we don’t know about the quality of the light, but I suppose people are going to start talking about it in the next few months.

I’m not a fan or supporter, but I probably would have bought it as my first tank, if I had known how much upgrading costs. But only if the reviews had been good.

I think it’s too early to have a real opinion on this tank.

I wouldn’t recommend a fluval tank or his tank for a beginner who doesn’t want to spend more money.

They can both work as is but leave enough to be desired.

His led is labeled as blue and white led only. We used those in like 2007.

A Chinese full spec light is $60 on Amazon.

If a beginner is looking for a tank that doesn’t need a bunch of upgrades, the IM 10g comes with a good controllable return pump, a lid, a media basket, algae scraper and a warranty. That is $205-$250 depending of its on sale and then you just stick a prime or kessil over it.

Bingo! A name brand set up for around the same cost except everything comes with a warranty and retains value.

If anything I think some of these all in ones with lights prey on beginners who don’t know value yet.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video that he posted and I am a fan of his. Kid has been at it for almost a decade if not longer so props to him for turning this passion into a full time career. I'm sure a lot of us would love to have our passion as our main source of income. I think his tank is def over priced and I too have my doubts about the light but for some people buying from someone they trust and getting everything including videos how to set it up is value to them. It's no diff then people buying baseball cards (I collect those too) or NFTs. If they see value in it then they are going to buy it. I don't think it's a scam. I truly believe he is very passionate about it and put what I'm sure was limited resources into making the tank a product worth putting his name on it. He is very well known In the hobby and I doubt he would bet his reputation on something he didn't truly back. For many he's a big reason others join our hobby so I think it's up to the rest of us to say he has good info but here is some other info on other tanks and lights you may want to consider and let those newbies make a decision that's best for them.
I agree with this. Wasn’t he also an economics major? When I saw his launch video I was happy for him — setup not for me but I was happy for him that he did this project and I hope it works out well for him.

I also don’t get the dislike of youtubers. Yeah some are just about fame and drama (and I avoid them), but there are tons who put out great content I like to watch — and that is not easy with limited resources. It’s also not easy to have the confidence to put yourself out there like that.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kessil A80 on a 15 gallon tank doesn’t sound overly powerful to me.

There isn’t really anything that needs to be upgraded on a Fluval Evo, only things that can be upgraded if required. I would 1000% recommend an Evo for a beginner; I don’t think you will find anything cheaper that just works.

All of this is irrelevant though. If you think that tank A with light B is better value then buy that. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy this tank.

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you posted, I missed this product launch.

It’s really tough launching new products to market, I should have some coming soon 8 years of R&D later. Seriously, eight years! If it ends up being the wrong price a flop you only have so much control.

I’ve been around a while and he’s definitely a YouTuber, not a scammer.

Succinctly,
-Andrew

Back