YWG and Randall's Pistol shrimp help

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to pair a new Randall's that I had in QT, with a YWG in DT that I have had for about a year (was paired previously with a Tiger pistol that unfortunately passed).

I acclimated the shrimp yesterday and the Goby immediately spotted it and tried to interact, the shrimp snapped at it and is now in an adjacent rockwork and made a burrow. The goby was observed in that region today and again I had snapping..

Anything I should be concerned about? YWG is healthy and well fed and the shrimp was pretty docile and inactive in QT but was taking food regularly in QT. The shrimp is pretty small maybe an inch and Goby is a couple inches

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes it can take a little while for them to pair, especially if they were recently introduced, give them a few days, maybe even few weeks. and they should pair up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm trying to pair a new Randall's that I had in QT, with a YWG in DT that I have had for about a year (was paired previously with a Tiger pistol that unfortunately passed).

I acclimated the shrimp yesterday and the Goby immediately spotted it and tried to interact, the shrimp snapped at it and is now in an adjacent rockwork and made a burrow. The goby was observed in that region today and again I had snapping..

Anything I should be concerned about? YWG is healthy and well fed and the shrimp was pretty docile and inactive in QT but was taking food regularly in QT. The shrimp is pretty small maybe an inch and Goby is a couple inches
Bonding is either instant or takes a few days

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a week now and I can't seem to locate the shrimp.. I have an idea because you can see where some of the sand has shifted, and build-up around the base of the rocks.. but it's so small compared to my reefer 350 with all the rockwork..

I do hear it snapping every once in awhile though, so I guess that's a good sign right?

Should I be concerned? Just continue to wait? Do I even need to spot feed it? (I'm trying but it's difficult as I don't know exactly where it is...)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Might just be the pistol’s temperment. I had a tiger that was an ****** and tried ti terrorize my halloweens, which killed him off quick. The second was very mellow and immediately took to my yellow watchmen. I say sit back and observe for a while. The shrimp could be just stressed in a new environment

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick update, unfortunately about a month ago my YWG jumped out of my tank. I normally keep a lid on but forgot to put it back on during a water change and it must've jumped out! I had never seen it do that and was generally calm and more adventurous in the tank...

I have long assumed the pistol shrimp was a goner but a few days ago while feeding I saw it jump out of its burrow!! Crazy that I have not seen it since the beginning of Feb when it went in my tank!

Now I know it's alive and I know it's lair location! Moving forward im thinking maybe a smaller goby might be a better fit for the shrimp.. do you guys think the Randall's goby would be the best option?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back