YWG & Firefish have "paired", can I add Pistol Shrimp?

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. For some reason my YWG seems to have paired with my FireFish so now I'm stumped.

They lived together in the QT for 6 weeks and after about 2 weeks they started living together in the hole that the YWG made.

Fast forward: When I moved them into my DT I figured that, since the tank is bigger with lots of places to live, they would split up. But NO, they still live together in YWG's cave.

Here's the problem, I really wanted a YWG/Pistol Shrimp pair, but I'm afraid of what might happen if I add the Pistol Shrimp now. I don't want PS to kick my FireFish out of his home, he's a timid little guy and that would be sad.

Odd situation, any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey folks. For some reason my YWG seems to have paired with my FireFish so now I'm stumped.

They lived together in the QT for 6 weeks and after about 2 weeks they started living together in the hole that the YWG made.

Fast forward: When I moved them into my DT I figured that, since the tank is bigger with lots of places to live, they would split up. But NO, they still live together in YWG's cave.

Here's the problem, I really wanted a YWG/Pistol Shrimp pair, but I'm afraid of what might happen if I add the Pistol Shrimp now. I don't want PS to kick my FireFish out of his home, he's a timid little guy and that would be sad.

Odd situation, any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Not sure there is any way to tell - unless you try it? Many fish pairs are individual. I guess I would say - get the pistol shrimp - and see what happens. there seem to be a couple possibilities - the pistol shrimp will be alone - or he will join the other 2, or the firefish will be kicked out. I guess its possible the shrimp would hurt the firefish. Another option is just enjoy the 'pair' of the gobie and the firefish. It may be that over time your 'pair' will break up...

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen the two pair up. I wouldn’t risk it. That’s a one of a kind circumstance. What you could do is get another ywg and pistol to add to another side

Edit: after further research there are other who have seen this “pairing”

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really thought they'd split up when they went into the DT.

The problem with the current pair, YWG/FF, is that they aren't any fun to watch. FF hides in the hole, YWG guards the entrance, I only see FF when I feed them. I've had YWG/Pistol Shrimp before and they are hysterical to watch!

I may just stick a Pistol Shrimp in there and see what happens. Is three a crowd?

Back