Z Burn's 350L Red Sea Reefer G2 Build

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Red Sea Reefer G2 system (on Black Friday 2022) and currently waiting for it to cycle (started dosing ammonia Jan 1st). I've been out of the hobby for a few years now, but excited to get back in. My plans for this tank would be a mixed reef, but more heavy on the SPS side of things. I am going old school with lighting. I've picked up a white giesemann spectra metal halide/t5 fixture that is waiting to be hung over this tank! I hope to stick with metal halide for as long as I can get bulbs. To help me remain patient and invested, I am documenting my journey on youtube. Check out my first video where I take delivery of the tank and begin setup!

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Followed! I’m in process on my 350 (V3) as well. Just waiting on the replacement display as mine arrived broken.
My goodness, it did? Ugh. I was thinking while I was unboxing the thing....if this is broken or cracked for any reason I am not sure I would not how to box it back up....hopefully Red Sea is taking care of you!

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple new videos have been posted.

A rundown of my startup equipment and costs.

And a video down memory lane highlighting my past tanks (with growth shots), successes, and challenges (dinoflagellates and AEFW)…I created to kill time while the Red Sea reefer g2 cycles…

Next up, getting some light above the tank. Will be mounting my Giesemann Spectra light fixture above the new tank!

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my choice of lighting - a Polar Ice White Giesemann Spectra! I am so excited to have this fixture and to be able to still run metal halide/t5. Thank goodness the Reef2Reef 4 sale section forum section exists... that helped me track this fixture down! Here is my latest video, give me a like/subscribe!

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock ato reservoir was just too small and took up too much space in the sump. I went ahead and upgraded it using a tunze 3155 osmolator and Innovative Marine (IM) reservoir. This should be enough to handle evaporation for nearly a couple weeks. Here is the walkthrough on the upgrade and also encountering a siphon issue...

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update on my Red Sea reefer G2 just dropped….I’ve got Red Sea’s slide out control panel installed. I’ve also mounted and setup my Neptune apex and MP40s. Tank cycle is on the tail end; fish to be added very soon!

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle finally finished, ugh…took nearly 8 weeks but I suppose I could have used some bacteria in a bottle to speed things up. First fish have been added, check it out!

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready for fish #3...leaning towards a Magnificent Foxface to get some algae control going and to stay ahead of the game, but am tempted by another fish at my local Petco of all places....ya I know...

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another piece of equipment has been added. First time running UV on a tank in a while. I've gotten dinos too many times in recent builds that I wanted to add this to my arsenal early on.

Check it out:

mclayj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another piece of equipment has been added. First time running UV on a tank in a while. I've gotten dinos too many times in recent builds that I wanted to add this to my arsenal early on.

Check it out:

Really appreciate you posting your progress. Currently setting up a RSR 350 G2 as well with much of the same equipment. live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater arriving April 17 so getting all equipment up ahead of then.

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate you posting your progress. Currently setting up a RSR 350 G2 as well with much of the same equipment. live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater arriving April 17 so getting all equipment up ahead of then.
That’s awesome, it’s been a great tank so far! My only complaint is one we all probably have, which is…should I have gone bigger! Good luck with your TBS rock - likely will be an instant cycle! Not sure if you are trying to QT it all or not… regardless any of the common negative hitch hikers can really be dealt with down the road.

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update - refugium is now online. This video is part of my reefing educational series but it’s all focused on the Red Sea Reefer G2 so hopefully it’s helpful and applicable for this build thread.

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added some more fish - a couple of tangs. Check them out! Skimmer is on its way as well, stay tuned.

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All! Come check out which skimmer I chose. It may be the quietest skimmer I’ve ever owned!

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first few challenges are here (ich and the “brown uglies”). Come check out the latest update!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back