zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
IMG_0517.jpeg IMG_0518.jpeg IMG_0521.jpeg

Over the last week I decided to get started on the 90g I impulse purchased back in Feb!
Building it out as a peninsula will make it a nice room divider (once I eventually break down the cube to the left of it). The plan is to use most of the equipment from my existing 74 tower in this tank when its ready...

NEW
Tank: Deep Blue Professional 90g (48x18x24). 1/4" Glass
Stand: Homemade (studs with Z-Clip attached birch panels)
Lighting: Reefbrite XHO Actinic 36" x 2, ATI 39w T5 x 2
Sump: Trigger Emerald 26
Overflow: Fiji Cube Lo Pro 1200

COMING OFF THE TANK
Control: Neptune APEX, Neptune DOS
ATO: Avast ATO w/ Trigger 5g Reservoir
Feeder: Avast Plank
UV: Lifegard Pro-Max 55w
Skimmer: Aquamaxx ConeS Q-1 Protein Skimmer
Return: Ecotech Vectra M2
Powerhead: Ecotech MP40QD

Some changes between this tank and my current DT:
  • Bare Bottom! Tired of cleaning nasty stand (and I've actually come to like the look)
  • While it will still be a 'Mixed Reef', it'll have much more of a Euphyllia/LPS focus that SPS. Will likely keep a few hardy Montiporas and Slimer/Birdsnest along the top of the water, but the focus will be torches/hammers/etc.
  • Not happy with the Radion on the cube - replaced with T5s and Reefbrites.
  • All of my existing livestock will come over (White Bristletooth Tang, Borbonius Anthias, Lawnmower Blenny), and I am adding a small school of Sunset Anthias and a Foxface.

Stay tuned and join me on my journey to bankruptcy!

Last edited:
Maxout
OP
zatch

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
IMG_0449.jpeg IMG_0450.jpeg

This tank is tempered on the front, back and bottom - leaving the sides as the only option for drilling an overflow (also contributed to the decision to set it up as a peninsula). Drilled and installed the Fiji Lo Pro 1200, which I had mixed feeling about (but should work fine). 3/4" Loc Line return installed that will connect to the UV.

IMG_0523.jpeg

OP
zatch

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
IMG_0418.jpeg IMG_0457.jpeg

Stand is 2x6 and 2x4 pocket jig construction, with 1/2" modular birch panels that can be removed from both ends with aluminum Z-Clips. The front and back panels are permanently attached for additional stability. I was worried about trying to line up the clips so that everything lined up flush, but it was easier than expected. Highly recommend them! I am still in the process of putting an edgebanding on the corners of the panels.

IMG_0444.jpeg IMG_0522.jpeg

OP
zatch

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
IMG_0394.jpeg IMG_0409.jpeg IMG_0467.jpeg

Went with ReefBrites and ATI T5s for lighting. Thinking that 2x36" T5 and 2 XHOs should provide plenty of PAR for the corals I plan to keep, but if its not I left room for another T5 fixture. Getting 225 PAR in a dry tank, hoping it will translate to around 150 with water at the mid level of the tank where most of the corals will be...

IMG_0464.jpeg IMG_0494.jpeg

OP
zatch

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
IMG_0483.jpeg

One (of the what will be two or three) rockwork pieces I built for the new tank. For the "Mk II" Version, I attached and then reinforced the joints with hydraulic cement first, let it dry for several days, then coated the joints in E-Marco, and finally coat the rock in the thinned out Emarco. I put the purple coat of Emarco on thicker in this version, and prefer it that way to the much thinner version on my existing pieces.

I have found that the mortar alone may not be strong enough to support the heavier rocks in positions like this, so I prefer to use mortar cement for those connections. I have used Quickcrete for this on all my rockwork without incident or any issues with water quality (I do cover the joints with E-Marco after it dries).

Was originally planning to use the existing rockwork in my tower tank, but that piece is too high and wide and would require extensive modification to work in the new tank. It was also a logistical nightmare trying to figure out how to remove that rock while still running the livestock in that tank for a few more months, so I figured it easier to build an entirely new one for the 90.

IMG_0508.jpeg IMG_0516.jpeg
(Kristofferson stress test to pass QC)

BRS

What percentage of blue versus white lighting do you think makes the best coral growth combo?

• All Blue

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • Mostly Blue

Votes: 381 62.9%
  • Even Balance

Votes: 153 25.2%
  • Mostly White

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • All White

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 1.5%