Zebra moray suddenly on a diet - what can I do?

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've had a 4 foot or so Zebra moray in my 150g tank for a little over a year. He used to be a very good eater. I'd feed him a raw table shrimp (or scallop, or squid piece) once every other day with tongs. Sometimes he'd clearly be hungry and I'd feed more often than that.

Lately, however, he's going on a strict diet. I can't seem to get him to eat anything. Sometimes he picks at table shrimp if I leave it in the tank for a few hours, but that's not the best solution, and I still don't think he's eating enough.

Nobody else in the tank even knows he exists.

There are cleaner and peppermint shrimp in the tank as well as "backup" snacks, but he hasn't shown any interest in them. In fact, they live in his cave with him since he's so messy.

Any suggestions as to how I can entice him to eat again? When should I be worried?

Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your mg is at least at reef level, I boost up my mg to 1400 when my preds may have digestion issues. Your feeding routine has been too frequent, a zebra that size optimally should be fed no more than once a week, maybe even every 10 days. Eels are best fed on a gorge/fast feeding routine or eventually they will develop issue, feed their full then give them at least a week between. Too frequent feedings of predators in captivity can lead to digestion and liver issues. Make sure your other water parameters are in check, boost your mg, and give him a break before feeding him again.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels are known to go on hunger strikes form time to time , I wouldn’t work until about the 3-4 week mark. And yes, be sure to not over feed, you know when an eel is hungry as soon as food hits the tank they usually come looking.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the advice! It sounds like my zebra's diet is going to be permanent. I'll dial back the feeding and let him tell me when he wants to eat.

He lives in a regularly dosed reef tank, so I should be good on Mg, but I'll keep an eye on it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back